Main Menu

Telly Tubbies

Started by Nick, April 01, 2023, 09:41:25 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 29, 2023, 01:33:00 PM
eh?

No blocking here.  FFS what has Nick done now with the profile defaults?
There's been no changes on here for a year, everything just works so doesn't need touching. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on May 29, 2023, 12:46:12 PM

I can't keep up with this.

Is Ned the Black is White/ Barry on Pol-tics.com board ? I don't give a toss, but it is nice to know who is whom.

And does that mean that Cromwell and Deppity Dawg are lurking somewhere and about to rejoin ?
I used to feel like that.

Now, I mainly go along with who posters present themselves as. 

I don't always believe their personal claims and background stories, but I guess they could be getting some benefit or relief from acting out their fantasies...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borchester on May 29, 2023, 01:20:33 PM

No, but when I tried to send you a message thanking you for your reply, I could not because you had blocked it, so you are clearly something of a head dick

eh?

No blocking here.  FFS what has Nick done now with the profile defaults?

Borchester

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 29, 2023, 12:47:45 PM
I will point out that I'm neither Lord Lucan nor Shergar

No, but when I tried to send you a message thanking you for your reply, I could not because you had blocked it, so you are clearly something of a head dick

Algerie Francais !

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borchester on May 29, 2023, 12:46:12 PM

Is Ned the Black is White/ Barry on Pol-tics.com ? I don't give a toss, but I like to keep up.

And does that mean that Cromwell and Deppity Dawg are lurking somewhere and about to rejoin ?
I will point out that I'm neither Lord Lucan nor Shergar

Borchester

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 29, 2023, 10:34:10 AM
No lie Ned or shall I call you Black is White?  You have so many names.

I did take a peek and they do have a new owner.  Feel free to show what is false about either part of that. 

Is Ned the Black is White/ Barry on Pol-tics.com board ? I don't give a toss, but it is nice to know who is whom.

Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 29, 2023, 10:34:10 AM

I did take a peek and they do have a new owner.  Feel free to show what is false about either part of that. 
Name him Bill or George, anything but Sue. lol
† The end is nigh †

Unlucky4Sum

I did take a peek and they do have a new owner.   Feel free to show what is false about either part of that.  

Barry

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 05, 2023, 10:16:45 AM
Just taken a peek, looks like they've found a new owner.
What an absolute whopper that was!

You are Steve K who has been running UK Debate 2 almost singlehandedly, after you bullied Ewill until she left.
You are the most overbearing personality on any forum I have ever come across, and a deceiver to boot.

Your "Just taken a peek" was an outright lie, as you instigated the change of the ownership in this thread:

New owner needed or I may be closing down the forum - please read

Hopefully that thread is visible to non members?

Perhaps you were hoping to register with a new persona here, having heard the mods had resigned, getting a foothold on this forum, as you had reduced UK Debate2 to a Steve K echo chamber. 
† The end is nigh †

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: patman post on April 05, 2023, 10:13:56 AM
I suggest that the forum as a concept is alive and well — there's hundreds of them out there.

Individual forums success or failure appear to depend on the way they're constructed, managed, moderated (and luck, I guess) and the posters they attract.

Some will fail, perhaps because the majority clique cannot tolerate opposing views, or one faction decides to swamp all threads with a single issue, or individual posters decide to indulge their own fantasies.

This one seems to have got a little more active. Let's hope it gets more posters...
Seconded

I found Barry's history of this place fascinating.

There are other forums out there, John has mentioned UKDebate which seems to be looking at a new owner re-launch, PofoUK became UKPoliticsDebate to prove you can get quantity if you sacrifice quality and I've seen mention of AV Forums which is very busy but has been described as 'clunky'

Many of those under 50 seem to love their Instagram, Facebook, WhatsApp Group ways of pretending to debate by only talking to the like minded .  Not for me.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 05, 2023, 09:15:27 AM
As an aside, the forum i first joined, ukdebate.co.uk was run from a garage in the arse end of Herefordshire. Various issues including illness beset its owner and i launched a 'replacement' which moved to tapatalk some years ago as 'uk debate mk 2'

I left that forum a while ago, pressure of work and lack of sunday afternoons being key factors. Regrettably the gentleman to whom i handed the admin rights has not been heard of for some time and his health was worse than mine is now so i fear the reaper has swung the scythe. The co-admin recently emailed the hembership list to advise it too is heading for the breakers yard.

. . .
Just taken a peek, looks like they've found a new owner.

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 05, 2023, 09:15:27 AM
[snipped]

I do seriously wonder if the forum as we know it has had its day. And that is no reflection on any particular site, or its members, or its admin / mod team.
I suggest that the forum as a concept is alive and well — there's hundreds of them out there.

Individual forums success or failure appear to depend on the way they're constructed, managed, moderated (and luck, I guess) and the posters they attract.

Some will fail, perhaps because the majority clique cannot tolerate opposing views, or one faction decides to swamp all threads with a single issue, or individual posters decide to indulge their own fantasies.

This one seems to have got a little more active. Let's hope it gets more posters...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

As an aside, the forum i first joined, ukdebate.co.uk was run from a garage in the arse end of Herefordshire. Various issues including illness beset its owner and i launched a 'replacement' which moved to tapatalk some years ago as 'uk debate mk 2'

I left that forum a while ago, pressure of work and lack of sunday afternoons being key factors. Regrettably the gentleman to whom i handed the admin rights has not been heard of for some time and his health was worse than mine is now so i fear the reaper has swung the scythe. The co-admin recently emailed the hembership list to advise it too is heading for the breakers yard.

To be honest, when ukdebate mk 1 launched phones were GPRS at best and ADSL was a novelty.

I remember posting a high court judgement from the bar of The Cheshire Cheese using a Toshiba libretto 75 with a serial cable connected to a nokia nk702 which i was using as a cellular dial up modem and TWENTY fleet street journalists looked on and three bought me beer on their expense account probably to see how easy or not it was. It was a different world.

I do seriously wonder if the forum as we know it has had its day. And that is no reflection on any particular site, or its members, or its admin / mod team.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Nick on April 04, 2023, 04:24:09 PM
All it did last time was stop people from logging in as they could see everything without doing so.
Was/is that a problem? Shops and other vendors have their offerings on display to attract buyers. It doesn't seem logical for forums that want members to do otherwise.

I vaguely remember you once mentioning that you could see who was viewing the forum even when they didn't login...

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on April 04, 2023, 08:38:25 PM
I don't know, but I can run a website like this with my current host for <£100 per annum. Not that I want to.
Barry is still looking in every day. I wasn't too bothered about adverts because money was not an issue. I was happy to host the forum at about £80 a year, as it is a cheap hobby. Try Ham Radio that costs a lot more!

Also, I have tried adverts on other sites and Google are happy to exploit your kindness in letting them in, but they absolutely pay in peanuts, so it is more trouble than it is worth.

Historically speaking, I think I joined Steve C Taylor's politicspoliticalforum website in about 2008 and he gave notice of closing it down in 2019, and Cromwell, Deppity Dawg and myself worked to prevent losing every member so in October 2019 I started http://politicalforums.uk/ (now defunct) to try to keep all the active members. We were quite successful in doing that, then Nick converted my database to SMF and opened up this forum, keeping all the members and posts in June 2020. That took some doing and well done Nick for being technically better than my amateur offerings.

So this forum and its predecessors span 15 years+, which is not bad.
I'd like to thank everyone for all their posting contributions and if you have not joined yet, see you over at https://pol-tics.com/

Algerie Francais !