Coronation Street parties

Started by Borchester, April 25, 2023, 01:30:41 PM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

Have I missed something? Why were they having parties on Coronation Street?
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Borchester

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 02, 2023, 10:18:26 AM

We have some Union Jacks in our junk room from attending a concert a while back.... 

They all say that....:)
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 02, 2023, 10:18:26 AM
  And no I am not swearing allegiance to Charles.  Done nothing to deserve it. 
Well if he asked me round to his I would ,just not doing it in front of the telly .

That he be King is enough .Union Flag

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 01, 2023, 10:38:13 PM
WellI had a bit of bunting and a few Union flags in the shed from , I cant remember what so decorated the front of the House this afternoon . Looks splendid if I say so myself .
Hopefully encourage a few others to do likewise before the weekend.

I cant believe this swearing the allegiance thing though ,it will be a wierd if people start talking to the telly in the pub or indeed at street parties .
Your OBE will be in the post

We have some Union Jacks in our junk room from attending a concert a while back and they will stay in our junk room.  And no I am not swearing allegiance to Charles.  Done nothing to deserve it.   Google King Charles good works and you get a very short list.  Spike Milligan had him right.   

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on May 02, 2023, 08:54:16 AM
I have a quick glance at the headlines to see if anyone has declared WWIII and to check the lottery winners but otherwise I don't have much use for them. There is of course the Alex cartoon in the Daily Telegraph, but otherwise and as you say, I am surprised that they still exist.
You must have got rid of the outside bog then ,newspaper is still the best for such venues as Andrex gets a bit damp . 

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on May 02, 2023, 08:32:26 AM
Can't remember the last time I picked up a newspaper, surprised they still exist.

I have a quick glance at the headlines to see if anyone has declared WWIII and to check the lottery winners but otherwise I don't have much use for them. There is of course the Alex cartoon in the Daily Telegraph, but otherwise and as you say, I am surprised that they still exist.
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on May 02, 2023, 08:01:55 AM
I can't believe that anyone takes any notice of the Daily Mail, or any of media for that matter. It provides a lot of harmless fun, but nothing that need be taken seriously.

Recently I have taken to following Jacob Rees Mogg on GB News. Fun and feudalism from North Somerset. I catch up with the broadcasts on Youtube so I am a few days behind, but Jacob is a few centuries so I am not that bothered.

:)
Can't remember the last time I picked up a newspaper, surprised they still exist. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

WellI had a bit of bunting and a few Union flags in the shed from , I cant remember what so decorated the front of the House this afternoon . Looks splendid if I say so myself .

I cant believe this swearing the allegiance thing though ,it will be a wierd if people start talking to the telly in the pub or indeed at street parties .

I can't believe that anyone takes any notice of the Daily Mail, or any of media for that matter. It provides a lot of harmless fun, but nothing that need be taken seriously.

Recently I have taken to following Jacob Rees Mogg on GB News. Fun and feudalism from North Somerset. I catch up with the broadcasts on Youtube so I am a few days behind, but Jacob is a few centuries so I am not that bothered.

:)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

I am puzzled by it, because I and I suspect millions of others of a "certain age" will have has some point in their lives signed a document with that oath on it except it was her heirs and successors, and the other document pledging not to undermine a democratically elected government. (The problem being those two documents conflict with each other.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

patman post

Hackney and Islington councils are doing their bit:

People across the borough wanting to bring their local community together to mark the coronation of King Charles III in May are being given a helping hand by Hackney Council.

As well as supporting those looking to organise street parties over the special Bank Holiday weekend to celebrate the historic event, the Council is also providing grants of up to £750 through its Housing Services as part of the national Big Coronation Lunch initiative. 

There are a few criteria that street parties need to follow including that

• fewer than 200 guests invited;
  • all guests must be associated with the immediate area;
  • no alcohol will be on sale (it is okay to serve alcohol free of charge);
  • no formal entertainment (entertainment such as music from a stereo is okay as long as you do not disturb others in the community);
  • no tickets are sold for the event;
  • no food or other merchandise will be on sale (but it is fine to bring food to share with your neighbours);
  • no temporary structures (e.g. stages or marquees) are set up.

https://news.hackney.gov.uk/helping-to-bring-local-people-together-to-celebrate-king-charles-iii-coronation/

A host of events marking the coronation will be held in Islington over the bank holiday weekend (6-8 May), with 70 receiving funding from Islington Council. 

The council offered £500 per event to help community groups, neighbours and friends to get together to mark this historic occasion. Applications were received from every part of the borough, and venues range from community centres and places of worship to parks, adventure playgrounds and on housing estates. 

Councillor Una O'Halloran, Islington's Executive Member for Community Development, said: "Our local communities are fantastic at supporting one another, and it's brilliant that so many people will celebrate the coronation together – some are having a lunch, a picnic, or a street party – there's even a coronation Zumba taking place! 

https://www.islington.media/news/local-celebrations-will-mark-the-coronation

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 26, 2023, 06:34:34 PM
Wise plan

I will be similarly avoiding any local street or communal parties
I'll be back working in Germany so will report on how Ze Germans are televising it. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 26, 2023, 05:05:43 PM
Yep the local community association otherwise known as the moanalots have decided to meet on the field for a picnic . Bring your own of course with a request to bring a little extra for those who cant afford to splash out on a cheese and pickle sandwich .
Drinking in moderation will be allowed (when the feck did these people get elected ) though soft drinks and water will be supplied .
Music will be played by the estates resident DJ from his flat at 91a , nothing new there then ,dont worry about a thing , every little things gonna be alright .

Unfortunately Im going up to London to see Charlie and the gang and will likely park up in a pub somewhere  . It should ,the estate party that is , be all done and dusted by the time I get back .Union Flag
Wise plan

I will be similarly avoiding any local street or communal parties

Streetwalker

Yep the local community association otherwise known as the moanalots have decided to meet on the field for a picnic . Bring your own of course with a request to bring a little extra for those who cant afford to splash out on a cheese and pickle sandwich . 
Drinking in moderation will be allowed (when the feck did these people get elected ) though soft drinks and water will be supplied .
Music will be played by the estates resident DJ from his flat at 91a , nothing new there then ,dont worry about a thing , every little things gonna be alright .

Unfortunately Im going up to London to see Charlie and the gang and will likely park up in a pub somewhere  . It should ,the estate party that is , be all done and dusted by the time I get back .Union Flag

papasmurf

Quote from: papasmurf on April 25, 2023, 01:57:37 PM
No street parties anywhere near where I live,(according to the interactive map.)
Still no street parties, but apparently the village is having a beacon lighting including cat stranglers. (Bagpipe players.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe