British people need "to accept that they're worse off"

Started by patman post, April 29, 2023, 11:59:13 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 04, 2023, 10:50:16 AM
 The Brexit effect on our food prices in terms of last 12 months rises has unwound. 
The effect of Brexit has not been addressed by the Tory government.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 04, 2023, 10:50:16 AM
That's made you a hostage to fortune. 
That has made me informed of the situation. The converging problems with food supply and increases in cost. (Still partially due Brexit,) are going get worse in the coming months.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on May 03, 2023, 09:13:30 PM
Far lower than UK food inflation. UK food inflation in my opinion due to a number of converging factors is going to get far worse over the next few months as is supply.  (That will still be partially due to Brexit.)
That's made you a hostage to fortune.  EU and UK food inflation are just about identical right now, it's anyone's guess which will be worse in the next set of figures.  The Brexit effect on our food prices in terms of last 12 months rises has unwound.  A UK v EU comparison from 2016 to now might say more.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 04, 2023, 09:09:21 AM
And why is it slightly less? Because the US is self sufficient and not reliant on Russia : proving it is still a hangover from Covid.
It is less because Brexit has increased the price of food, and also the cost of importing food.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 03, 2023, 09:13:30 PM
Far lower than UK food inflation. UK food inflation in my opinion due to a number of converging factors is going to get far worse over the next few months as is supply.  (That will still be partially due to Brexit.)
And why is it slightly less? Because the US is self sufficient and not reliant on Russia : proving it is still a hangover from Covid. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on May 03, 2023, 06:23:16 PM
Aren't people most of us?

You read like you've been indoctrinated with buzz words and phrases from some faction or another and just react without bothering to think what idea you're trying to put across...
do I ?   Oh well if you get a buzz out of it I guess it saves you skinning up .

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 03, 2023, 08:34:15 PM
US food inflation, is this Brexit also?

Nick

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 03, 2023, 07:37:56 PM
NO-ONE has stated it is ALL Brexit, but Brexit has made things a lot worse that it otherwise would be. As for inflation food inflation in the UK is still rising:-

Recent trends in UK food and drink producer and consumer prices - Office for National Statistics

• In the 12 months to January 2023, the price of inputs into the production of food, drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic), and tobacco increased by 19.8%.
  • Imported food material input prices rose by 25.7% in the year to January 2023, compared with 18.0% for domestic food material inputs over the same period.
  • In the 12 months to January 2023, output food product producer prices increased at their joint-highest annual rate since records began in January 1997 at 17.1%.
  • Around two-thirds (65.1%) of food and drink retail businesses (excluding microbusinesses) reported the prices of goods and services bought increased in January 2023 compared with December 2022; a similar proportion of food and drink retail businesses (excluding microbusinesses) reported their prices sold increased (63.7%) over the same period.
  • This "pass through" of higher costs to prices is reflected in the Consumer Price Index including owner occupiers' housing costs, with food and non-alcoholic drink inflation at 16.8% in January

NOTHING to do with Brexit, 30 to 50% inflation in some EU countries.
How about you look at other countries before pointing out how the U.K. is doing. 

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/01/26/inflation-in-europe-is-falling-but-food-prices-are-rising-who-is-paying-the-most-and-what-#:~:text=European%20statistics%20agency.-,The%20inflation%20of%20food%20prices%20in%20the%20EU%20was%2018.2,prices%20are%20still%20going%20up.

The inflation of food prices in the EU was 18.2 per cent, and 16.2 per cent in the eurozone in December, which is a slight decrease compared to November on average. But some basic food items like sugar, milk cheese and eggs, oils, and fats prices are still going up.

The highest price rise was seen in Hungary at nearly 50 per cent, Lithuania the second highest with 33.5 per cent followed by Estonia with 30.8 per cent.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 03, 2023, 07:19:05 PM
Yet you can show anything that separates us from other European countries: Sweden has 12% inflation. Strikes all over the EU, fuel prices higher than ours. But it's all Brexit!!
NO-ONE has stated it is ALL Brexit, but Brexit has made things a lot worse that it otherwise would be. As for inflation food inflation in the UK is still rising:-

Recent trends in UK food and drink producer and consumer prices - Office for National Statistics

• In the 12 months to January 2023, the price of inputs into the production of food, drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic), and tobacco increased by 19.8%.
  • Imported food material input prices rose by 25.7% in the year to January 2023, compared with 18.0% for domestic food material inputs over the same period.
  • In the 12 months to January 2023, output food product producer prices increased at their joint-highest annual rate since records began in January 1997 at 17.1%.
  • Around two-thirds (65.1%) of food and drink retail businesses (excluding microbusinesses) reported the prices of goods and services bought increased in January 2023 compared with December 2022; a similar proportion of food and drink retail businesses (excluding microbusinesses) reported their prices sold increased (63.7%) over the same period.
  • This "pass through" of higher costs to prices is reflected in the Consumer Price Index including owner occupiers' housing costs, with food and non-alcoholic drink inflation at 16.8% in January

Nick

Quote from: patman post on April 29, 2023, 11:59:13 AM
If we learn that the rate of inflation is falling from 10.4% to 10%, then 9%, are we really duped by the political bollocks that it means everything is under control — or do we realise it just mean that prices and the cost of living are rising less quickly but prices still tens of %age points above what they started at...?

When Huw Pill said, in a recent Columbia University podcast, that British people need "to accept that they're worse off" the comments understandably hit a raw nerve.
https://news.sky.com/story/its-true-to-say-the-uk-has-become-worse-off-but-some-have-felt-the-brunt-more-than-others-12866738

Nobody wants to confront the truth: Britain is becoming a poor country
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/04/nobody-wants-confront-truth-britain-becoming-poor-country/

The UK is becoming a poor country – so get used to it, or leave

IRELAND, which used to be regarded as a backward country whose main function was to provide cheap labour for the UK economy, now has a GDP per head that is twice that of the UK: $99,000 v $48,000 according to the OECD.

People in Northern Ireland are beginning to wonder if they might be better off being part of Ireland in the EU single market, than in the UK out of it.

Brexit is one of the UK's more spectacular own goals of the last 20 years. The SNP say that Scotland could have been where Ireland is today had we not been umbilically linked to the UK. They have a point. It couldn't be much worse.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20606107.iain-macwhirter-uk-becoming-poor-country---get-used-leave/

How the U.K. Became One of the Poorest Countries in Western Europe:
Britain chose finance over industry, austerity over investment, and a closed economy over an open and richer one. The predictable results are falling wages and stunningly low productivity growth. Although British media worry about robots taking everybody's jobs, the reality is closer to the opposite. "Between 2003 and 2018, the number of automatic-roller car washes (that is, robots washing your car) declined by 50 percent, while the number of hand car washes (that is, men with buckets) increased by 50 percent," the economist commentator Duncan Weldon told me in an interview for my podcast, "It's more like the people are taking the robots' jobs."

https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters/archive/2022/10/uk-economy-disaster-degrowth-brexit/671847/
Yet you can't show anything that separates us from other European countries: Sweden has 12% inflation. Strikes all over the EU, fuel prices higher than ours. But it's all Brexit!!

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 03, 2023, 04:56:47 PM
They didn't even advertise on the buildings ,just employed an eastern european foreman and a month later not an Englishman on the job . 

But yes I accepted I would be worse off the day I got married . Trouble is people want all the 'stuff' most of us have worked all our lives for now . It doesn't work like that and never has
Aren't people most of us?

You read like you've been indoctrinated with buzz words and phrases from some faction or another and just react without bothering to think what idea you're trying to put across...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on April 30, 2023, 12:21:17 PM
Job ad would need to be worded something like: "Candidates who can speak both English and Polish preferred to be able to communicate with the other members of staff" to be legal.

Using the word "preferred" would not fall foul of employment laws because it technically does not prevent non-Polish speakers from applying...
They didn't even advertise on the buildings ,just employed an eastern european foreman and a month later not an Englishman on the job .  

But yes I accepted I would be worse off the day I got married . Trouble is people want all the 'stuff' most of us have worked all our lives for now . It doesn't work like that and never has 

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on May 02, 2023, 11:08:25 AM
Are you suggesting that campness is an unwanted trait among by car wash owners...?

Ohh, you bitch :)
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on April 30, 2023, 03:37:28 PM
It does not matter anyway.

All the guys working in car washes are Romanians and Bulgarians. They pretend to be Polish because everyone likes Poles, but Romanians never aspire to anything above being concentration camp guards
Are you suggesting that campness is an unwanted trait among by car wash owners...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...