I have spent the morning digging a trench 10 metres long by 1 metre wide by

Started by Borchester, April 30, 2023, 03:39:48 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on May 01, 2023, 01:01:04 PM
A fair question srb7677 and one that deserves a fair answer.

It is the traditional method for growing asparagus and as such is probably bollocks. Gardeners are like most folk in that they figure that breaking their arses is somehow virtuous.

I live in an area full of lefty media types and if they met a true aristocrat their first impulse would be to kiss his or her arse. :):)
In actual fact I have met a few aristocrat types in my time, including one whose grass I used to cut on his landed estate who sat in the Lords as a hereditary peer. 

One thing I have found is that they do tend to be very polite and since in real life I tend to take people as I find them, I have never been given cause to be mean or rude to them in response. If people speak and behave decently to me I tend to reciprocate. But neither would I kiss his or her arse. Most lefties in fact would never bow or scrape to anyone, except possibly one of their own political heroes. Which seldom includes aristocrats, though the former aristocrat Tony Benn might have been an exception, lol.

I predict there will be loads of bowing and scraping, not to mention arse kissing, next week at the coronation, but very few genuine lefties will be doing it. We'll be the ones muttering in the background about sycophancy, republicanism, excessive privilege, and various other predictable left wing tropes. lol

I did note with cynical amusement today that the Daily Mail was trumpeting that the money being spent on it is a massive economic boost, whereas if it was being spent on anything else they would be calling it a waste of taxpayers' money. Seems the Mail believes in Keynesian economic boosts after all, but only if it is going to the already privileged and a load of pomp and circumstance around them. Apparently it is only a problem when it is spent on things that are actually needed. lol
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on April 30, 2023, 08:20:19 PM
Or are you perhaps intending to use the trench for defensive purposes when the struggling masses rise up and storm the citadels of privilege, mistaking you for the landed aristocracy because you are a reactionary  old git with a plot of land and resulting surplus of potatoes and carrots? lol

A fair question srb7677 and one that deserves a fair answer.

It is the traditional method for growing asparagus and as such is probably bollocks. Gardeners are like most folk in that they figure that breaking their arses is somehow virtuous.

I live in an area full of lefty media types and if they met a true aristocrat their first impulse would be to kiss his or her arse. :):)

Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on April 30, 2023, 11:33:10 PM

You have clearly  never grown your own filet mignon

Tried that in the seventies. What grew in the petri dish didn't live long, fortunately
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 30, 2023, 08:07:25 PM
Never understood all this plant growing malarky when you can buy a perfectly good lump of steak from the butchers .

You have clearly  never grown your own filet mignon

Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 30, 2023, 06:10:13 PM
Hmmmmm

We just pay Abel and Cole to deliver asparagus and other veg.  Does that make us bad people?
I don't think so

But there's nothing quite like the self righteous smug look you deservedly wesr when serving up whatever it might be when 'friends' come round and you can say 'of course, we grow them ourselves, there's nothing quite like home grown fir flavour...'
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Borkie, you dug a trench ten metres long and one metre wide? What the F@@@ are you planting? Giant oaks?

Or are you perhaps intending to use the trench for defensive purposes when the struggling masses rise up and storm the citadels of privilege, mistaking you for the landed aristocracy because you are a reactionary  old git with a plot of land and resulting surplus of potatoes and carrots? lol
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Never understood all this plant growing malarky when you can buy a perfectly good lump of steak from the butchers . 
Quote from: Borchester on April 30, 2023, 03:39:48 PM
20 cm. I then put in 20 asparagus crowns which I covered with about 5cm of soil.

I am bloody well knackered.

The lass on the adjacent plot just laid the crowns on ground and covered them with woodchip.

I imagine that the effect is the same, although I am probably about to have a heart attack and she ain't

Borchester

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 30, 2023, 06:10:13 PM
Hmmmmm

We just pay Abel and Cole to deliver asparagus and other veg.  Does that make us bad people?

Of course not.

In fact, I am working my nuts off because my gardener has, as I have probably said before, buggered off to Scotland to write poetry in the rain.  So if Abel would send his brother Cain to do a bit of work for me, I am sure that we could come to some sort of arrangement
Algerie Francais !

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borchester on April 30, 2023, 03:39:48 PM
20 cm. I then put in 20 asparagus crowns which I covered with about 5cm of soil.

The lass on the adjacent plot just laid the crowns on ground and covered them with woodchip.

I imagine that the effect is the same, although I am probably about to have a heart attack and she ain't
Hmmmmm

Borchester

Algerie Francais !