Right To Protest Gradually Being Outlawed

Started by Scott777, May 04, 2023, 06:05:19 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on May 07, 2023, 08:28:38 AM
The problem is they are still in custody, for in reality having committed no crime.
They were all known activists so conspiracy to cause a fecking nusience would cover it .  I dont know if thats one of the new laws but by golly I hope it is .

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on May 07, 2023, 12:36:50 PM
We had a referendum where we won, and you lot did everything to overturn it. Are you denying that?
You've been drinking from Papasmurf's mug haven't you. Unwise

When your senses return you'll remember that:

• It was an ADVISORY referendum
  • It was illegally subverted by the ostensible winning side
  • There was no armed insurrection, obstruction of motorways, hacking of government systems etc etc just legitimate debate and protest IE well short of 'everything'
  • Overwhelmingly 'remainers' accept the result of the 2019 General Election as democratic authority to leave

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 07, 2023, 12:29:40 PM
Oh the irony

Go on what's your rationale for that accusation?
We had a referendum where we won, and you lot did everything to overturn it. Are you denying that?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on May 07, 2023, 10:31:28 AM
Given the national furore about voter ID it is you who are wildly out of touch. (Not for the first time.)
Says the forum loonie

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: HDQQ on May 07, 2023, 11:44:29 AM
People have a right to protest, but that doesn't mean they have a right to disrupt.

Protesting against the monarchy at a coronation could be seen as disruptive. I'm not a monarchist but abolishing the monarchy is hardly a national priority at the moment.

I went on one of the pro-EU demos in London, the one where about 700K people took part. Interestingly we only passed one obvious pro-Brexit protester - a young man shouting: "You're all sick, sick".
And those demos were properly planned, advance notified and approved by liaison with the authorities and on days where least disruption would be caused and alternative arrangements could be made for those who might be affected.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on May 07, 2023, 12:24:50 PM
That's cause we understand what democracy is, Remainers don't.
Oh the irony

Go on what's your rationale for that accusation?

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on May 07, 2023, 11:44:29 AM
People have a right to protest, but that doesn't mean they have a right to disrupt.

Protesting against the monarchy at a coronation could be seen as disruptive. I'm not a monarchist but abolishing the monarchy is hardly a national priority at the moment.

I went on one of the pro-EU demos in London, the one where about 700K people took part. Interestingly we only passed one obvious pro-Brexit protester - a young man shouting: "You're all sick, sick".
That's cause we understand what democracy is, Remainers don't. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 07, 2023, 10:25:45 AM

And there is a big difference if the right to vote is taken away (cue more rubbish from the South West?) 
Given the national furore about voter ID it is you who are wildly out of touch. (Not for the first time.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on May 07, 2023, 10:09:08 AM
You seem blinkered by only thinking about climate alarmists.  If this government, which you detest, say you are not allowed to vote, what are you going to do about it?  If it took protest and disruption to get the right, it can be easily taken away.  P.S. representative 'democracy' is not a true democracy.
No I am not blinkered about climate change alarmists, those idiots yesterday were anti Republicans.

And there is a big difference if the right to vote is taken away (cue more rubbish from the South West?)   If you unfairly deny people  the vote then you legitimise their violent action against you.  EG the Suffragettes.

Scott777

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 06, 2023, 09:45:42 PM
What I want is niether here nor there though I find protests pretty much a waste of time in a democracy . Even some of the biggest like the anti war (Iraq ) march didnt change government policy so why would half a dozen eco warriors think stopping people getting to work would do any good .

It's nothing to do with eco warriors.  It's about the principal that it applies to any protest, and will be enforced by biased police.  If the protests against Iraq did not work, maybe it's because they were not disruptive enough, or frequent enough.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 06, 2023, 06:21:44 PM
I detest this government but you know what, they were fairly elected in 2019, it's called democracy. 

Those that wish to use intimidation of the public to get their way against the will of the majority are in the main arrogant fuckwits, a few are out and out terrorists.

You seem blinkered by only thinking about climate alarmists.  If this government, which you detest, say you are not allowed to vote, what are you going to do about it?  If it took protest and disruption to get the right, it can be easily taken away.  P.S. representative 'democracy' is not a true democracy.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 07, 2023, 07:05:08 AM
So here we go then .
Police arrest protesters before they can disrupt the enjoyment of others and before their protest causes a possible backlash and a major incident

In practice surely better to nip it in the bud ,give the protesters a cup of tea away from harms way and those on a day out enjoying the occasion .
They can protest next week with the Liverpool supporters if they want to get on the telly .

Good policing for me , possible incident and national embarassment avoided ,nobody got hurt and everyone went home .

Coronation: Metropolitan Police criticised over anti-monarchy group arrests - BBC News

The usual suspects having a moan , tough .
For those mentioned in that article I agree but it seems the police arrested the Westminster Council Night Stars (Anti Rape) unit holding them in custody for 14 hours.  That looks a lot like either malicious unlawful arrest or mentally deranged police.  Either way someone probably needs dismissing for this.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/metropolitan-police-westminster-city-council-arrest-coronation-b2334184.html

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/news/statement-night-stars-volunteers 

'"We are deeply concerned by reports of our Night Stars volunteers being arrested overnight. This service has been a familiar and welcome sight in the West End for a long time and have extensive training so they can assist the most vulnerable on the streets late at night. 

"We are working with the Metropolitan Police to establish exactly what happened, and in the meantime, we are in touch with our volunteers to ensure they are receiving the support they need."

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on May 07, 2023, 08:28:38 AM
The problem is they are still in custody, for in reality having committed no crime.
So you don't think going equipped with intent to lock yourself to 'public furniture' is illegal?  Well it very much is and rightly should be.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 07, 2023, 07:05:08 AM

In practice surely better to nip it in the bud ,give the protesters a cup of tea away from harms way and those on a day out enjoying the occasion .
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe