Right To Protest Gradually Being Outlawed

Started by Scott777, May 04, 2023, 06:05:19 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 06, 2023, 10:55:24 AM

I see the leader of the anti royalist mob Not my King has been arrested this morning just before the King left Buck House .
There has been a number of "arrest the usual suspects," this morning.

Police arrest anti-monarchy protesters ahead of King Charles' coronation | Reuters
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: Scott777 on May 06, 2023, 01:29:42 AM
I think you are missing the point.  The new law doesn't just prevent people being attached to things.  It is for anything causing "unacceptable disruption", where someone decides what to accept, or not.  And since the police failed to enforce existing laws against climate protesters on motorways, why would they find them unacceptable now?
I would hope the bar will be set very low as to what is deemed 'unacceptable disruption' . Disruption is disruption in my book so I hope the old bill crack on . The law will remind plod that they have the powers to act without fear of redress .
Like any laws though we will have to wait and see how they work out in practice .

I see the leader of the anti royalist mob Not my King has been arrested this morning just before the King left Buck House . 

Scott777

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 05, 2023, 02:32:43 PM
Nobody is saying ban protests , just not ones that effect others which is fair enough . I dont know why plod haven't been arresting people but the new law (I hear the lords are going to throw it out) is more specific in making attatching yourself to things a criminal act which will be easier to prove than obstructing the highway (I Guess ?)

I think you are missing the point.  The new law doesn't just prevent people being attached to things.  It is for anything causing "unacceptable disruption", where someone decides what to accept, or not.  And since the police failed to enforce existing laws against climate protesters on motorways, why would they find them unacceptable now?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 05, 2023, 11:33:30 AM
because the fines under that Act are trivial and the police couldn't stop people blocking roads by walking slowly along them

The fine is not what stops the protesters.  The law gives power to the police to arrest anyone obstructing the highway, and yet they failed to enforce it.  As for the slow walking, that has not been a big issue.  Most of the obstruction was sitting in roads, etc.  So the new law is nothing to do with the law being ineffective.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 05, 2023, 11:31:47 AM
You're being ridiculous.  Protest is about showing to others you disagree, that's fair.  What these JSO (and other) arses want to do is make people bow to their view or they will disrupt and intimidate lives all because they are such pathetic failures when it comes to the ballot box.  That's not protest, it's acting with menaces.

Lock them up, sue them for damages and if a fair few go bankrupt as a result so be it.

What is ridiculous?  I agree, JSO are arses.  I agree they are a menace.  I agree they should not block roads.  I agree they should not cause damage.  Now what has that got to do with the new law?  Existing laws prohibit obstructing the highway, damaging property, dangerous or threatening behaviour.  The new law far exceeds that, so the only reason for its existence is to stop other protests which the government don't like.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on May 05, 2023, 07:10:25 PM
Not much been done since a few of them were jailed. Funny how they never do it in the middle of winter: that's how much they care.
Too busy at home warming themselves by the gas boiler ??? 

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 05, 2023, 02:32:43 PM
Nobody is saying ban protests , just not ones that effect others which is fair enough . I dont know why plod haven't been arresting people but the new law (I hear the lords are going to throw it out) is more specific in making attatching yourself to things a criminal act which will be easier to prove than obstructing the highway (I Guess ?)
Not much been done since a few of them were jailed. Funny how they never do it in the middle of winter: that's how much they care. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Scott777 on May 05, 2023, 11:18:04 AM
A total ban on all protests would do it.  Even better, why not put cameras in everyone's home?  That would stop a lot more crimes.  The new law won't, because as explained, it is whatever they decide is "unacceptable disruption", and they don't enforce existing Highway Act 1980, so why would they arrest climate protesters using this?

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on May 05, 2023, 11:13:58 AM
How do you know it was ineffective?  We have all seen the police not enforcing it at climate protests, but enforcing it at rallies for Brexit or protests against lockdown.
because the fines under that Act are trivial and the police couldn't stop people blocking roads by walking slowly along them

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on May 05, 2023, 11:18:04 AM
A total ban on all protests would do it.  Even better, why not put cameras in everyone's home?  That would stop a lot more crimes.
You're being ridiculous.  Protest is about showing to others you disagree, that's fair.  What these JSO (and other) arses want to do is make people bow to their view or they will disrupt and intimidate lives all because they are such pathetic failures when it comes to the ballot box.   That's not protest, it's acting with menaces.

Lock them up, sue them for damages and if a fair few go bankrupt as a result so be it.

Scott777

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 05, 2023, 06:42:15 AM
Well anything that stops these tossers from stopping people going about their business gets my vote .

A total ban on all protests would do it.  Even better, why not put cameras in everyone's home?  That would stop a lot more crimes.  The new law won't, because as explained, it is whatever they decide is "unacceptable disruption", and they don't enforce existing Highway Act 1980, so why would they arrest climate protesters using this?

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 04, 2023, 10:12:56 PM
But it's ineffective hence the need for a new law

How do you know it was ineffective?  We have all seen the police not enforcing it at climate protests, but enforcing it at rallies for Brexit or protests against lockdown.

Streetwalker

Well anything that stops these tossers from stopping people going about their business gets my vote . 

Protests in the main are against government policy , Go stand outside Parliament and stop bothering people who dont give a feck is what I say .

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on May 04, 2023, 08:06:40 PM
Highways Act 1980 already prohibits obstruction of the highway.  Therefore the new law cannot be intended as you claim.
But it's ineffective hence the need for a new law

Scott777

Quote from: Borchester on May 04, 2023, 08:57:46 PM
Probably because the police thought that the motorists might give the protestors a good kicking as they did so.

If the police remove the protesters first, no one gets a kicking, and no pile ups.