Right To Protest Gradually Being Outlawed

Started by Scott777, May 04, 2023, 06:05:19 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Scott777 on May 04, 2023, 08:47:52 PM
Can you elucidate on "timely"?  People sitting on a motorway junction, which is dangerous, could be removed quite quickly.  Instead, police stopped motorists from removing them.  Why do you think that is?

Probably because the police thought that the motorists might give the protestors a good kicking as they did so.

Algerie Francais !

Scott777

Quote from: Nick on May 04, 2023, 08:11:23 PM
The highways act does not give the police the powers to remove them in a timely manner.

Can you elucidate on "timely"?  People sitting on a motorway junction, which is dangerous, could be removed quite quickly.  Instead, police stopped motorists from removing them.  Why do you think that is?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Nick

Quote from: Scott777 on May 04, 2023, 08:06:40 PM
Highways Act 1980 already prohibits obstruction of the highway.  Therefore the new law cannot be intended as you claim.
The highways act does not give the police the powers to remove them in a timely manner. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Scott777

Quote from: Nick on May 04, 2023, 08:00:52 PM
These laws are to stop people sitting in the road and stopping people going about their business, and ambulances getting patients to hospital. Do you not agree with that? I do.

Highways Act 1980 already prohibits obstruction of the highway.  Therefore the new law cannot be intended as you claim.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Nick

Quote from: Scott777 on May 04, 2023, 07:29:19 PM
I have to agree, these laws won't be used to stop environmental protests.  That's because the state-police support them.  We know this, because laws already exist to arrest anyone obstructing the highway, and yet we have all seen videos of police delaying or never arresting them.  But the law will be used to arrest protesters they don't agree with.  That's clear from how they policed anti-lockdown protests.  That's why the law was passed.  Nothing to do with endangering lives.
These laws are to stop people sitting in the road and stopping people going about their business, and ambulances getting patients to hospital. Do you not agree with that? I do. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 04, 2023, 06:56:20 PM
Those of us that follow the news know that recently there were multiple days of properly arranged and planned environmental protest in London so all these stories about this Act stopping protest are just bullshit.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/24/climate-protests-london-xr-the-big-one-fossil-fuel-deadline

The Act restricts self serving gits doing wildcat protests disrupting lives for many and at times endangering lives.  Something had to be done.

I have to agree, these laws won't be used to stop environmental protests.  That's because the state-police support them.  We know this, because laws already exist to arrest anyone obstructing the highway, and yet we have all seen videos of police delaying or never arresting them.  But the law will be used to arrest protesters they don't agree with.  That's clear from how they policed anti-lockdown protests.  That's why the law was passed.  Nothing to do with endangering lives.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on May 04, 2023, 06:05:19 PM
I said a few years ago on this forum how the government want to ban protest.  The response was basically lots of pooh poohs.  Then the scamdemic came, and protests were shut down.  Now the Public Order Act 2023 gives powers to stop protests which are "unacceptably disruptive".  Unacceptable might be anything that someone does not accept.  Oh but don't worry.  If the state-police like it, it will be allowed.  Just remind me, which country are we in?  Russia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfW81lqr8P8
Those of us that follow the news know that recently there were multiple days of properly arranged and planned environmental protest in London so all these stories about this Act stopping protest are just bullshit.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/24/climate-protests-london-xr-the-big-one-fossil-fuel-deadline 

The Act restricts self serving gits doing wildcat protests disrupting lives for many and at times endangering lives.  Something had to be done. 

Scott777

I said a few years ago on this forum how the government want to ban protest.  The response was basically lots of pooh poohs.  Then the scamdemic came, and protests were shut down.  Now the Public Order Act 2023 gives powers to stop protests which are "unacceptably disruptive".  Unacceptable might be anything that someone does not accept.  Oh but don't worry.  If the state-police like it, it will be allowed.  Just remind me, which country are we in?  Russia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfW81lqr8P8