Right To Protest Gradually Being Outlawed

Started by Scott777, May 04, 2023, 06:05:19 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

So here we go then . 
Police arrest protesters before they can disrupt the enjoyment of others and before their protest causes a possible backlash and a major incident 

In practice surely better to nip it in the bud ,give the protesters a cup of tea away from harms way and those on a day out enjoying the occasion .
 They can protest next week with the Liverpool supporters if they want to get on the telly .

Good policing for me , possible incident and national embarassment avoided ,nobody got hurt and everyone went home .

Coronation: Metropolitan Police criticised over anti-monarchy group arrests - BBC News

The usual suspects having a moan , tough . 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Scott777 on May 06, 2023, 03:19:39 PM
You'll be eating your words when it's a protest you really want.  Disruption could mean anything.  A protest on a pavement might disrupt the flow of pedestrians.
What I want is niether here nor there though I find protests pretty much a waste of time in a democracy . Even some of the biggest like the anti war (Iraq ) march didnt change government policy so why would half a dozen eco warriors think stopping people getting to work would do any good . 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on May 06, 2023, 03:33:28 PM
It takes extraordinary gullibility to think that a protest that has been arranged and given police consent is going to stop an authoritarian government from doing as it pleases.  You wouldn't have the right to vote if not for inconvenient protests.
I detest this government but you know what, they were fairly elected in 2019, it's called democracy.  

Those that wish to use intimidation of the public to get their way against the will of the majority are in the main arrogant fuckwits, a few are out and out terrorists.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 06, 2023, 03:02:28 PM
Somewhat difficult when the arrests were filmed. (At least one was shown live on TV news bulletins at silly O'clock this morning.)
You said they'd been arrested for just being there, which was crap. 
Please tell me what you learned about their arrest from TV footage. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 06, 2023, 03:24:08 PM
And if it does and it's not been arranged with proper notice to allow people to make arrangements to not be inconvenienced then it will be illegal

In this 2023 world it's not hard to protest without being a complete git, it's just hard for some sad people to accept that their wish to be a pain in the arse to other people makes them complete gits.

It takes extraordinary gullibility to think that a protest that has been arranged and given police consent is going to stop an authoritarian government from doing as it pleases.  You wouldn't have the right to vote if not for inconvenient protests.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: Borchester on May 06, 2023, 11:08:50 AM
no laws are going to stop protesters gluing themselves to motorways 

Then you are making my point for me.  The law will come down hard when it's a protest you agree with.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on May 06, 2023, 03:19:39 PM
You'll be eating your words when it's a protest you really want.  Disruption could mean anything.  A protest on a pavement might disrupt the flow of pedestrians.
And if it does and it's not been arranged with proper notice to allow people to make arrangements to not be inconvenienced then it will be illegal

In this 2023 world it's not hard to protest without being a complete git, it's just hard for some sad people to accept that their wish to be a pain in the arse to other people makes them complete gits.

Scott777

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 06, 2023, 10:55:24 AM
Disruption is disruption in my book so I hope the old bill crack on .

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 06, 2023, 12:46:02 PM
And the police have made it quite clear they will not be giving out information on these cases.
Somewhat difficult when the arrests were filmed. (At least one was shown live on TV news bulletins at silly O'clock this morning.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 04, 2023, 06:56:20 PM
Those of us that follow the news know that recently there were multiple days of properly arranged and planned environmental protest in London so all these stories about this Act stopping protest are just bullshit.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/24/climate-protests-london-xr-the-big-one-fossil-fuel-deadline

The Act restricts self serving gits doing wildcat protests disrupting lives for many and at times endangering lives.  Something had to be done.
The Police attitude to protest is to kettle those wishing to protest into a grimy grubby area about two miles from the nearest news camera and about five from whatever event you ate protesting about. This has been the case for over thirty years.

That said, the average 'chain yourself to a railing or superglue yourself to a road' shitheads have brought this on themselves because the public are wholly pissed off at the antics of such people who themselves admit the bit they fear most is when they start their malarkey until the police get there, knowing the real purpose of the police presence is to stop incensed members of tbe public from giving them tne mother and father of all shitkickings
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 06, 2023, 12:27:49 PM
They were arrested just because they turned up, not because they had done anything.
And the police have made it quite clear they will not be giving out information on these cases. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on May 06, 2023, 12:27:49 PM
They were arrested just because they turned up, not because they had done anything.
Wrong yet again, you really do live in a sad little imaginary world don't you.

They were arrested for being in possession of 'lock on' devices  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65507435 

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 06, 2023, 11:49:23 AM
Finally a good reason for the coronation, flushes out the idiots so we can arrest them
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on May 06, 2023, 11:02:42 AM
There has been a number of "arrest the usual suspects," this morning.

Police arrest anti-monarchy protesters ahead of King Charles' coronation | Reuters
Finally a good reason for the coronation, flushes out the idiots so we can arrest them

Borchester

Quote from: Scott777 on May 06, 2023, 01:29:42 AM
I think you are missing the point.  The new law doesn't just prevent people being attached to things.  It is for anything causing "unacceptable disruption", where someone decides what to accept, or not.  And since the police failed to enforce existing laws against climate protesters on motorways, why would they find them unacceptable now?

No Scottie, you are missing the point, which is not your favourite one that all problems can be solved by whipping and branding everyone in sight and running the country on the basis of  Neanderthal stupidity, but that no laws are going to stop protesters gluing themselves to motorways because the they like the fuss and are quite happy to go to jail for years and years, provided they get their 5 minutes of fame on this and a few other boards

Algerie Francais !