British Empire 'something to be proud of' says Jacob Rees-Mogg

Started by Borchester, May 04, 2023, 09:23:19 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on May 11, 2023, 11:33:17 AM
Face it, organised Breton separatism only manifested itself in modern times around 1900. The modern Cornish imitation started around a century later.

But no doubt there are prehistoric and historic links in France and Britain before they actually became distinct nations where regions fought raiders and colonisers.

In Brittany today, opinion polling has shown that the majority there consider themselves French. Only around 30% consider themselves primarily Breton — way more than the percentage of Cornish people who consider themselves primarily Cornish want independence. (No I can't be arsed to provide links, any more than you could above, but there's plenty of press reports to trawl).

They the Bretons like their Cornish cousins are of Celtic blood 
As for gun clubs, their members include some of the most bigoted and weird people I have met — not many, but enough to be concerning. Among the views expressed are the beliefs that legal gun owners are the last bastion the managed invasion of foreigners, and will be recruited by the authorities to keep control once revolution begins. The older the member, the more likely they are to express such thoughts...
Ah Good , I was a member years ago at a club that provided a few county and  International shooters , not that I ever got that good but I could still hit a football from 100 yards so I will await the  call ;D

papasmurf

Face it, organised Breton separatism only manifested itself in modern times around 1900. The modern Cornish imitation started around a century later.

But no doubt there are prehistoric and historic links in France and Britain before they actually became distinct nations where regions fought raiders and colonisers.

In Brittany today, opinion polling has shown that the majority there consider themselves French. Only around 30% consider themselves primarily Breton — way more than the percentage of Cornish people who consider themselves primarily Cornish want independence. (No I can't be arsed to provide links, any more than you could above, but there's plenty of press reports to trawl).

As for gun clubs, their members include some of the most bigoted and weird people I have met — not many, but enough to be concerning. Among the views expressed are the beliefs that legal gun owners are the last bastion the managed invasion of foreigners, and will be recruited by the authorities to keep control once revolution begins. The older the member, the more likely they are to express such thoughts...

ADMIN

*** Is this supposed to be blank? ***
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on May 11, 2023, 07:59:23 AM
Nick if you call anyone Breton French, you are likely to get a violent reaction. (The as you would calling Cornish people English.)
I am as wary of Americans as I am of Liverpudlians. Fortunately I very rarely come into contact with any since moving to Cornwall back in 1984. (The military gun club I used to be a member of would not let anyone from a America onto the firing range.)
Face it, organised Breton separatism only manifested itself in modern times around 1900. The modern Cornish imitation started around a century later.

But no doubt there are prehistoric and historic links in France and Britain before they actually became distinct nations where regions fought raiders and colonisers.

In Brittany today, opinion polling has shown that the majority there consider themselves French. Only around 30% consider themselves primarily Breton — way more than the percentage of Cornish people who consider themselves primarily Cornish want independence. (No I can't be arsed to provide links, any more than you could above, but there's plenty of press reports to trawl).

As for gun clubs, their members include some of the most bigoted and weird people I have met — not many, but enough to be concerning. Among the views expressed are the beliefs that legal gun owners are the last bastion the managed invasion of foreigners, and will be recruited by the authorities to keep control once revolution begins. The older the member, the more likely they are to express such thoughts...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 11, 2023, 05:12:28 AM
There is no such country as Brittany, it's called France, and once again you totally dodged the question cause you know you are wrong. Again, you will immediately hate an American couple if you just came across them? Yes?
Nick if you call anyone Breton French, you are likely to get a violent reaction. (The as you would calling Cornish people English.)
I am as wary of Americans as I am of Liverpudlians. Fortunately I very rarely come into contact with any since moving to Cornwall back in 1984. (The military gun club I used to be a member of would not let anyone from a America onto the firing range.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 10, 2023, 09:51:31 PM
I have rarely been to France, I go to Brittany. Where I go in Brittany I have yet to see any American tourists and for the last decade very few English tourists.  I also suggest you stay of the psilocybin , it is effecting your brain, and giving you strange visions.
There is no such country as Brittany, it's called France, and once again you totally dodged the question cause you know you are wrong. Again, you will immediately hate an American couple if you just came across them? Yes?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 10, 2023, 09:47:29 PM
He doesn't  seem to have a good word for anyone.
I have lots of people I have a good word for, but internet forums are not the place to mention them. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on May 10, 2023, 09:41:14 PM

To be fair, Pappy hates everyone.

I can imagine him in France and his keepers letting him out of his cage for a run and trying to bite the tourists because they said he was cute. Poor, sad lonely little sod living in a bleak world of fantasy.
I have rarely been to France, I go to Brittany. Where I go in Brittany I have yet to see any American tourists and for the last decade very few English tourists.  I also suggest you stay of the psilocybin , it is effecting your brain, and giving you strange visions.

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on May 10, 2023, 09:41:14 PM

I can imagine him in France and his keepers letting him out of his cage for a run and trying to bite the tourists because they said he was cute. Poor, sad lonely little sod living in a bleak world of fantasy.
He doesn't  seem to have a good word for anyone. 

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on May 10, 2023, 08:51:05 PM
So you are basically telling me that if you bumped into an American couple in France you would immediately hate them? Says a lot about you.

Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 10, 2023, 07:32:56 PM
You really must be joking.
So you are basically telling me that if you bumped into an American couple in France you would immediately hate them? Says a lot about you.

papasmurf

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 10, 2023, 05:48:40 PM
All I can say is it must be the company you keep . Im not in Nicks league but Ive been about a bit and no Ive not encountered any anti English feeling anywhere , in fact it pretty positive when you get to talk to people
Americans aren't hated that much either, they're just loud and annoying. In fact, most of the Middle East is starting to look like the States, road signs the same and KFC's pulling up everywhere. There is even one about 100 yards from the Sphinx. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 10, 2023, 05:09:26 PM
Nick my Visa story is NOT ridiculous at all. It was back in 1986. That you have never heard a bad word about English people means to me you must have had  very narrow contact. Most countries dislike the English as much as they do Americans.
It's the most ridiculous tale on this forum. 

So you've now gone from hated worldwide to most countries. Where is your data that Brits are hated so much? Which countries? You should be able to name 150 at least. 

I await the usual dodging and lack of data. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on May 10, 2023, 05:09:26 PM
Nick my Visa story is NOT ridiculous at all. It was back in 1986. That you have never heard a bad word about English people means to me you must have had  very narrow contact. Most countries dislike the English as much as they do Americans.
All I can say is it must be the company you keep . Im not in Nicks league but Ive been about a bit and no Ive not encountered any anti English feeling anywhere , in fact it pretty positive when you get to talk to people 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 10, 2023, 05:03:45 PM
You've been to France and Canada allegedly, nobody believes that cause of your ridiculous Visa story. So no, you have not got a clue about how the British are received other than what you've read. I'll be visiting my 70th country in August and have never heard a bad word about the Brits, 5th most popular at the top of Google.
Nick my Visa story is NOT ridiculous at all. It was back in 1986. That you have never heard a bad word about English people means to me you must have had  very narrow contact. Most countries dislike the English as much as they do Americans.