Quote from: Borchester on May 12, 2023, 06:37:48 AM
Fair enough

Ny veu kevys sewyans vyth

Pappy can teach us.
A garsa an flevennow dhyworth 10000 kamellow gans agas mor-goos
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 12, 2023, 06:15:08 AM
Apparently Kernewek has seen a bit of a revival in recent years and is recognised by the UK government (under a European charter of minority languages ) .Its taught in some primary schools and joins the other 2,500 languages spoken throughout the Empire /Commonwealth .

Looking at the list of common pFair enough

Pappy can teach us.hrases though I bet the phonetics teaching to primary school kids is a laugh .Having a game of scrabble would be a challenge though
Learn how to speak Kernewek: 20 Cornish words and phrases to get you started - Cornwall Council

Fair enough

Pappy can teach us.

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on May 12, 2023, 05:24:45 AM
Are you sure Pappy ?

The only school that I can find in your area is Landewednack Community Primary School, which has just failed Ofsted. A particular area of concern is the teaching of phonetics, which means that the kids can't speak English let alone Cornish. Or maybe they are fluent in the Cornish so don't need English. Anyway, as long as they can put their cross on the right place when they sign on they should be ok. :)
Apparently Kernewek has seen a bit of a revival in recent years and is recognised by the UK government (under a European charter of minority languages ) .Its taught in some primary schools and joins the other 2,500 languages spoken throughout the Empire /Commonwealth .

Looking at the list of common phrases though I bet the phonetics teaching to primary school kids is a laugh .Having a game of scrabble would be a challenge though 
Learn how to speak Kernewek: 20 Cornish words and phrases to get you started - Cornwall Council

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on May 11, 2023, 03:26:47 PM
Cornish language dead? It is taught in the schools where I live. Can you please give me the reference for Bretons wanting to be independent from France is recent. (As far as I am aware it goes back to 1341.)

Are you sure Pappy ?

The only school that I can find in your area is Landewednack Community Primary School, which has just failed Ofsted. A particular area of concern is the teaching of phonetics, which means that the kids can't speak English let alone Cornish. Or maybe they are fluent in the Cornish so don't need English. Anyway, as long as they can put their cross on the right place when they sign on they should be ok. :)

Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Nick on May 11, 2023, 10:18:32 PM
Blank posts are not a regular occurrence, you're talking crap as usual
But you have to admit that many from the West Country are devoid of information and truth...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 11, 2023, 04:28:49 PM
Nick a blank post is fairly regular on this forum by many and various people, I was not lying the forum had a hickup, (seems to be a regular occurrence recently.
I did not make a mistake the reply disappeared into the ether.
Blank posts are not a regular occurrence, you're talking crap as usual. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on May 11, 2023, 02:40:45 PM
Seems like you have a certain sympathy with the elderly gun club oddballs I've met...
Admaration more like . There are many skills required to be a good shot ,anyone still capeable and elderly gets a high 5 from me 

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on May 11, 2023, 04:20:39 PM
I am afraid Unesco are wrong.  (Seriously.) In any case many Cornish words are still used, regularly.
We can all take bits out of context and comment, but most of us prefer to debate the complete topic.

A couple of hundred people using the odd phrase or word of a language that had mostly fallen out of use for a few hundred years (as referenced by Unesco) doesn't mean it's widely spoken.

Referring to avatar, bandana, bungalow, jungle, shampoo, veranda, etc, doesn't mean that users of those words are fluent in the language that they came from...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 11, 2023, 04:25:03 PM
More lies, I've got a log stating you posted a blank post. Why can you not tell the truth for once and admit you made a mistake.
Nick a blank post is fairly regular on this forum by many and various people, I was not lying the forum had a hickup, (seems to be a regular occurrence recently.
I did not make a mistake the reply disappeared into the ether.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 11, 2023, 01:51:00 PM
No it isn't but the forum eat it.
More lies, I've got a log stating you posted a blank post. Why can you not tell the truth for once and admit you made a mistake. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on May 11, 2023, 04:11:54 PM
The Cornish language (and Manx) was officially declared dead by the Unesco in 2009, but has since had people trying to resuscitate it. It is a revived language, having become extinct as a living community language in Cornwall at the end of the 18th century.

I am afraid Unesco are wrong.  (Seriously.) In any case many Cornish words are still used, regularly.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on May 11, 2023, 03:26:47 PM
Cornish language dead? It is taught in the schools where I live. Can you please give me the reference for Bretons wanting to be independent from France is recent. (As far as I am aware it goes back to 1341.)
The Cornish language (and Manx) was officially declared dead by the Unesco in 2009, but has since had people trying to resuscitate it. It is a revived language, having become extinct as a living community language in Cornwall at the end of the 18th century.

"Slow-paced euthanasia" may now be the fate awaiting some of the six languages traditionally (and controversially) classified as "Celtic": Breton, Cornish, Irish, Manx, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh. Cornish and Manx were given last rites long ago, and now survive as the passion of antiquaries and language revivalists.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6PFckH-GBKAC&q=%22Predennek%22&pg=PA212&redir_esc=y

No doubt people in Brittany have been trying to repel borders right back to Roman times, but was France as a country, covering anything like the land area it now does, around in 1381...?

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on May 11, 2023, 02:40:45 PM
I don't doubt that the Bretons like their Cornish cousins are of Celtic blood. But independence movements in both regions are comparatively recent. In Cornwall, unlike Wales, the language was officially dead. And resurrecting it and forming a 1970s Cornish nationalism pressure group, while harmless, is a bit like trying to remake a hairy mammoth by playing around with supposed DNA from fossils.

Seems like you have a certain sympathy with the elderly gun club oddballs I've met...

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 11, 2023, 01:45:04 PM
They the Bretons like their Cornish cousins are of Celtic blood

Ah Good , I was a member years ago at a club that provided a few county and  International shooters , not that I ever got that good but I could still hit a football from 100 yards so I will await the  call ;D
I don't doubt that the Bretons like their Cornish cousins are of Celtic blood. But independence movements in both regions are comparatively recent. In Cornwall, unlike Wales, the language was officially dead. And resurrecting it and forming a 1970s Cornish nationalism pressure group, while harmless, is a bit like trying to remake a hairy mammoth by playing around with supposed DNA from fossils.

papasmurf