Bring Back Boris?

Started by patman post, May 05, 2023, 12:24:03 PM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on June 21, 2023, 04:04:03 PM
The subject of the long term sustainable human carrying capacity of Britain has been discussed to death with references on this forum in the past. (According to this it is 20 million.)

Population - how big is too big? - Migration Observatory - The Migration Observatory (ox.ac.uk)
That's based on what population sustainable "within a country's borders"

That calculation is subject to a vast number of assumptions.and arbitrary limits.

Do you include fossil fuels and external energy inputs in that equation? What about maritime resources? What about requirements for elements not found within the borders?

Why limit it to national borders? Why not country or parish borders? 

The problem when talking about "population limits" is that *very* quickly you can find your self drifting into unsavoury waters.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on June 21, 2023, 07:13:48 PM
Not starving.
Rickets was rampant. So was diphtheria, typhoid, etc. There was never a time in the UK's golden past when poverty among the poor wasn't dictating the overall health of the whole nation...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 21, 2023, 06:47:19 PM
Sustainable OK, but in what type of condition?
Not starving. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on June 21, 2023, 04:04:03 PM
The subject of the long term sustainable human carrying capacity of Britain has been discussed to death with references on this forum in the past. (According to this it is 20 million.)

Population - how big is too big? - Migration Observatory - The Migration Observatory (ox.ac.uk)
Sustainable OK, but in what type of condition? 

In past times, animals and humans utilised and provided the motive power and fed the country.

That's OK, for those who want it, but are you going to enforce 1 child per couple (or whatever) until the excess population has died off...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on June 21, 2023, 10:21:43 AM
I'm curious, what do you base that number on?

patman post

The Swiss are very single-minded when it comes to money — perhaps even more so than the nondoms here — and they manage to restrict property ownership to residents across the four language regions...

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: patman post on June 21, 2023, 12:56:31 PM

Or perhaps the UK should just shut its doors and limit immigration to students while they study, and those able to bring £1m with them — and also limit property ownership to UK residents (a bit like Switzerland)...
The current student visa limits to 2 years (3 for PhD) after completion. Sensible really as it gives them a chance to contribute their skills to our economy - a number of successful UK startups are spun out of graduate and post graduate research. (My own graduate research contributed in a tiny way to the development of solid state gyroscopes. Though that has become a multimillion dollar industry, sadly it wasn't a UK company that ultimately ran with it.)

Probably got a point about limiting property ownership to UK residents - they'll never go for it though, to many non-doms hosting ministers at their Mayfair penthouses.

patman post

Britain needs immigration, but perhaps not at the current level:

Britain's birth rate in peril as half of adults rule out having children, survey shows
Almost half of UK adults between 18 and 50 are not planning on having children
Britain's birth rate is 1.61 children per woman, compared with 1.94 a decade ago

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11499625/Britains-birth-rate-peril-half-adults-rule-having-children-survey-shows.html

Or perhaps the UK should just shut its doors and limit immigration to students while they study, and those able to bring £1m with them — and also limit property ownership to UK residents (a bit like Switzerland)...

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on June 21, 2023, 09:53:39 AM
Borchester as I have stated MANY times I am against ANY immigration because Britain went past it's long term sustainable human carrying capacity of 22 million back around 1840.
I'm curious, what do you base that number on?

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on June 21, 2023, 08:54:42 AM
Nearly 1/2 million migrants were legally let into Britain in the last year. The "boat" people furore is a diversion tactic away from that.
At the risk of answering the questions i posed, over 1m people were let into the Uk last year, about 1/2m people left
but you are absolutely right, the "boat people" thing is 100% a diversion.

It is undeniable that there are issues with services, infrastructure etc.

But blaming immigration and in particular refugee immigration is a tactic to divert attention from the root cause of those issues.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on June 21, 2023, 09:40:20 AM
I don't know why I should explain, because you and Pappy are the cheeks of the same arse, which is where you both have your heads.

However, we need unqualified immigrants because they are the sort of pushy bastards who will soon become qualified in something and thus will become an asset to the UK economy
Borchester as I have stated MANY times I am against ANY immigration because Britain went past it's long term sustainable human carrying capacity of 22 million back around 1840.

Borchester

Quote from: Scott777 on June 20, 2023, 02:45:51 PM
So you mean if we towed boats back across the channel into French waters, or back to France, or if we rejected all immigrants with no qualifications or experience, it would cause major damage to the economy?  Maybe explain why you think that.

I don't know why I should explain, because you and Pappy are the cheeks of the same arse, which is where you both have your heads.

However, we need unqualified immigrants because they are the sort of pushy bastards who will soon become qualified in something and thus will become an asset to the UK economy
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on June 21, 2023, 08:16:14 AM

When you've done that, come back with the numbers and say why you think towing every single boat back to France and banning any unqualified immigrants would reach the net target.
Nearly 1/2 million migrants were legally let into Britain in the last year. The "boat" people furore is a diversion tactic away from that.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Scott777 on June 20, 2023, 02:45:51 PM
So you mean if we towed boats back across the channel into French waters, or back to France, or if we rejected all immigrants with no qualifications or experience, it would cause major damage to the economy?  Maybe explain why you think that.
I don't think that.

I think that doing as you said would make very little difference to the migration figures.

Here's some questions for you, do some research, it won't take long.

What is the Tory net migration target?
What was the total number of immigrants and emigrants to and from the UK in 2022?
What was the net migration figure for 2022?
How many people crossed the channel boats in 2022?
How many student visas were issued in 2022?
How many work visas were issued in 2022?

When you've done that, come back with the numbers and say why you think towing every single boat back to France and banning any unqualified immigrants would reach the net target.

Scott777

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on June 20, 2023, 10:04:32 AM
it's not realistic because there would be a very high chance it would cause major damage to the economy.

Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.