Local elections 2023: Voter ID backfired on Tories, says Rees-Mogg

Started by Borchester, May 15, 2023, 02:59:00 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on May 18, 2023, 08:06:06 AM
You don't acknowledge the permanent damage Thatcher did.
Thatcher brought about positive change. Her failing was her inability to deal with the Luddite attitudes of the managements and workforces in outdated dog industries. Had she been confident enough in a successor, she might have resigned earlier and left us with someone able to advance her vision of her earlier premiership...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on May 17, 2023, 09:08:38 PM
Another Thatcher is the stuff of nightmares.
Thatcher modified the nightmare of trades union rule and brought more stability to the workplace. She recognised that the UK was no longer an industrial power house and its future lay in advanced technology and services...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 18, 2023, 07:40:29 AM
You just don't recognise greatness.
You don't acknowledge the permanent damage Thatcher did.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on May 17, 2023, 08:33:57 PM
I guess those of us, who are disillusioned with what the Tories have become, just hope someone like a Thatcher will emerge, 
Another Thatcher is the stuff of nightmares.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on May 17, 2023, 07:58:36 PM
Frankly how anyone can keep voting Tory is mystery given the Tory dishonesty, corruption, incompetence and callousness.
I guess those of us, who are disillusioned with what the Tories have become, just hope someone like a Thatcher will emerge, who's able to muster the troops and convert or jettison the Far Right Choir who sing so well in sympathy with the ideas of National Action, Britain First and the residues of the BNP.

Among party members, there's obviously those who hanker after a Farage-led Ukip that would allow them to park their BNP sympathies in a "respectable" organisation.

It's looking a forlorn hope at present. But maybe a spell as a minority govt, or in opposition will shake out the populists and dog-whistlers...

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 17, 2023, 06:17:41 PM
So you have said at every possible opportunity for as ling as i can recall.

That's not the problem.

The likely alternative are about as welcome as a dose of the clap
Frankly how anyone can keep voting Tory is mystery given the Tory dishonesty, corruption, incompetence and callousness.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on May 17, 2023, 01:10:50 PM
John, The Tories have proven themselves to be totally unfit for public office.
So you have said at every possible opportunity for as ling as i can recall.

That's not the problem.

The likely alternative are about as welcome as a dose of the clap
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 17, 2023, 12:47:07 PM
we all know. You never waste a single opportunity to remind us.

but you seem less keen to recognise the alternative for the coalition of hate that it is.
John, The Tories have proven themselves to be totally unfit for public office.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on May 16, 2023, 04:23:20 PM
I hate Tories full stop

we all know. You never waste a single opportunity to remind us.

but you seem less keen to recognise the alternative for the coalition of hate that it is. 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 16, 2023, 03:59:48 PM
Bullshit

Many things contributed to the spectacular losses at the polls but i think you'll find hatred of current Tory policy towards non-millionaires is rather more to do with it than any clampdown on dodgy voters however ill judged given the fact personification is the least of tbe dodgy things done.
I hate Tories full stop especially now, the "wanted" posters on the website are enough to put me off.

Home - National Conservatism Conference, UK 2023

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on May 15, 2023, 03:06:03 PM
It hurts me deeply to agree with JRM but the voter ID requirement did bite the Tories on the backside.
Bullshit

Many things contributed to the spectacular losses at the polls but i think you'll find hatred of current Tory policy towards non-millionaires is rather more to do with it than any clampdown on dodgy voters however ill judged given the fact personification is the least of tbe dodgy things done.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on May 15, 2023, 08:07:05 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with voter ID, or ID generally. But it does give a bit of joy to see the old Right Wing Farts, who called for ID for every reason that disadvantaged anyone of overseas extraction to get bitten on the bum.

Why Sunak continues to pander to Badenoch, Braverman, Rees Mogg, etc, is confusing — they're not going to help him win the next election...
JRM is likely because of tactical voting likely to lose at the General Election.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on May 15, 2023, 03:06:03 PM
It hurts me deeply to agree with JRM but the voter ID requirement did bite the Tories on the backside.
I don't necessarily disagree with voter ID, or ID generally. But it does give a bit of joy to see the old Right Wing Farts, who called for ID for every reason that disadvantaged anyone of overseas extraction to get bitten on the bum. 

Why Sunak continues to pander to Badenoch, Braverman, Rees Mogg, etc, is confusing — they're not going to help him win the next election...