Local elections 2023: Voter ID backfired on Tories, says Rees-Mogg

Started by Borchester, May 15, 2023, 02:59:00 PM

« previous - next »

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: patman post on May 18, 2023, 11:30:03 AM
Thatcher brought about positive change. Her failing was her inability to deal with the Luddite attitudes of the managements and workforces in outdated dog industries. Had she been confident enough in a successor, she might have resigned earlier and left us with someone able to advance her vision of her earlier premiership...
She definitely brought about a lot of positive changes, we were the sick man of Europe until her rigour but she was by no means all good.  She exemplified a 'you are what you can get' immorality, cuddled up to murderers and saw nothing wrong in bringing in 1 in 10 unemployment.  Post 1987 she became more than a little mental to the increasing despair of her cabinet with the Poll Tax absurdity being her Waterloo.

She was a necessary evil.  Never forget that she was necessary but never forget that she was at times evil too.  

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 18, 2023, 12:24:41 PM
From your own article. Same as milk snatching and food banks, happened under labour first, but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

But such claims about the timing of deindustrialisation are mistaken. The level of employment in British industry began to fall in the mid-1950s, and in manufacturing in the mid-1960s
But rapidly accelerated on Thatcher's watch.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 18, 2023, 11:51:00 AM
The factory closures in my experience were due to jobs being exported, zero to do with a trade union issues.
From your own article. Same as milk snatching and food banks, happened under labour first, but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. 

But such claims about the timing of deindustrialisation are mistaken. The level of employment in British industry began to fall in the mid-1950s, and in manufacturing in the mid-1960s
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on May 18, 2023, 11:53:54 AM
You must be joking, I was dealing with a Thatcher 17.5% mortgage and working 60-80 hours a week just to keep out of debt.
in 1979, when the Thatcher govt came in, there was galloping inflation (in no small part due to low productivity and high wages). Raising interest rates was one tool necessary to combat sky high inflation...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on May 18, 2023, 11:51:00 AM
The factory closures in my experience were due to jobs being exported, zero to do with an trade union issues.
Greater efficiency, ready adoption of automation, fewer demarcation issues, etc, allowed international manufactures to shift production to more reliable locations, and foreign manufacturers to dominate the markets of British manufacturers...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on May 18, 2023, 11:47:49 AM
As you obviously found, too many people were being paid more than their jobs were worth.
You must be joking, I was dealing with a Thatcher 17.5% mortgage and working 60-80 hours a week just to keep out of debt.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on May 18, 2023, 11:47:49 AM
As you obviously found, too many people were being paid more than their jobs were worth. Some industries were run by the unions, who dictated who could be employed. They held employers to ransom — sometimes even putting fictitious workers on the payroll.

Rationalisation was way overdue...
The factory closures in my experience were due to jobs being exported, zero to do with an trade union issues. 

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on May 18, 2023, 11:33:05 AM
Positively bad, for me, my family, my friends and the people I worked with in the past, who all ended up without a job. (The majority when they did get a job eventually, it was at far less money.)
As you obviously found, too many people were being paid more than their jobs were worth. Some industries were run by the unions, who dictated who could be employed. They held employers to ransom — sometimes even putting fictitious workers on the payroll.

Rationalisation was way overdue...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 18, 2023, 11:37:41 AM
And of course you can document these factory closures, showing she was the reason?
It is a matter of public record, I have just posted a link. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 18, 2023, 11:36:27 AM
Everyone you knew ended up without a job because of Thatcher! Utter nonsense: please explain how that could possibly have occurred.
The factories closed permanently due to Thatcher's policies. 
Thatcher mentioned 91 times:-

Full article: Deindustrialisation and 'Thatcherism': moral economy and unintended consequences (tandfonline.com)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 18, 2023, 11:36:07 AM
Several thousand people is not personal experience. The number of factory closures is a matter of public record.
And of course you can document these factory closures, showing she was the reason?

Nick

Positively bad, for me, my family, my friends and the people I worked with in the past, who all ended up without a job. (The majority when they did get a job eventually, it was at far less money.)
Everyone you knew ended up without a job because of Thatcher! Utter nonsense: please explain how that could possibly have occurred. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 18, 2023, 11:34:26 AM
Personal experience, not worth a jot.
Several thousand people is not personal experience. The number of factory closures is a matter of public record. 

Nick

Personal experience, not worth a jot. 

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on May 18, 2023, 11:30:03 AM
Thatcher brought about positive change.