UK to EU exports go from £235.6bn to £340bn

Started by Borchester, May 16, 2023, 10:45:54 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 17, 2023, 04:39:57 PM
Streetwalker Cornwall is currently a disaster and getting worse. The over tourism has to be stopped, and a lot of council houses built as a matter of urgency. You should have looked at ALL of the link you posted.
Absolutely false, and you can provide NO data to prove it. 
For once actually back up something you say. 
I know you're talking rubbish cause I was there a few years ago and disproved everything you said.  
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 17, 2023, 03:00:56 PM
As mentioned on another thread Vauxhall are not saying they will close because of Brexit but because of the trade deal agreed with the EU  . Rules of origin mean the factory has to source parts from the EU who dont even have enough for their own vehicle  prodution .  So they need to elsewhere which will bring penalties bla bla bla 
And why is there a trade deal with the EU instead of the single market access.we used to have?.....

In the alternate universe where brexit never happened, Vauxhall would be facing zero tariffs on exports to the rest of the EU regardless of where the car parts were sourced from.

It is only facing business critical tariffs to the EU because the UK is no longer part of the SM/CU and we are no longer part of the SM/CU because of brexit 

It.is.about as because of brexit as you can get 

"Oh if we had negotiated a better deal this wouldn't be a problem" - there was no better deal.

We were never going to get the same deal as SM/CU membership without shouldering the obligations of membership. Anyone telling you that we would (cough Leave campaign cough) was lying

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 17, 2023, 04:31:57 PM
You seem to be doing OK to me . Just need to build a few more houses and pay the workers more . All this doom and gloom about poverty is way off the mark , I didnt realise Cornwall is one of the better off regions of the UK .
Cornwall Economy | Labour Market & Industries (varbes.com)

In fact like exports and investment we can add booming Cornwall to the list for a hat trick before tea time Union Flag Get in !
Streetwalker Cornwall is currently a disaster and getting worse. The over tourism has to be stopped, and a lot of council houses built as a matter of urgency. You should have looked at ALL of the link you posted.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on May 17, 2023, 03:16:59 PM
Tourism NOT the life blood of Cornwall. Despite the propaganda It has now wrecked Cornwall, because the housing crisis caused by over-tourism means  there is nowhere for the staff hospitality and tourism needs to live.
Every hospitality and tourism business is desperate for staff. (The "Butlitz" type holiday camp five mile away cannot get staff. It is close to crisis, and given the manager is a (rhymes with banker,) the staff shortage could easily shut it down.
There was a village meeting two weeks ago over the problems the over-tourism is causing. It was attended by the MP, The Cornwall Councilor and the police.  (The latter because of the carnage on the road from the nearest town to the village.)
You seem to be doing OK to me . Just need to build a few more houses and pay the workers more . All this doom and gloom about poverty is way off the mark , I didnt realise Cornwall is one of the better off regions of the UK .
Cornwall Economy | Labour Market & Industries (varbes.com)

In fact like exports and investment we can add booming Cornwall to the list for a hat trick before tea time Union Flag Get in ! 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 17, 2023, 02:10:41 PM
Of course it does , signs of a recovering economony is good news for everyone , even the low paid .  Tourism is the life blood of Cornwall ,how can you say over tourism is a problem ?
Tourism NOT the life blood of Cornwall. Despite the propaganda It has now wrecked Cornwall, because the housing crisis caused by over-tourism means  there is nowhere for the staff hospitality and tourism needs to live. 
Every hospitality and tourism business is desperate for staff. (The "Butlitz" type holiday camp five mile away cannot get staff. It is close to crisis, and given the manager is a (rhymes with banker,) the staff shortage could easily shut it down.
There was a village meeting two weeks ago over the problems the over-tourism is causing. It was attended by the MP, The Cornwall Councilor and the police.  (The latter because of the carnage on the road from the nearest town to the village.)

Streetwalker

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on May 17, 2023, 02:19:30 PM

Meanwhile.....
Vauxhall-maker warns Brexit may force it to close UK factory

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65612295
As mentioned on another thread Vauxhall are not saying they will close because of Brexit but because of the trade deal agreed with the EU  . Rules of origin mean the factory has to source parts from the EU who dont even have enough for their own vehicle  prodution .  So they need to elsewhere which will bring penalties bla bla bla  

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 17, 2023, 02:10:41 PM
Of course it does , signs of a recovering economy is good news for everyone , even the low paid .  Tourism is the life blood of Cornwall ,how can you say over tourism is a problem ?
It's one of his stock 5 throw away lines, he keeps them in a hat.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

BeElBeeBub

Hello all - long time no see, I hope everyone is well.....

Not to piss on Borchester's chips but the publication he cites has this note

QuoteNote: The latest data include trade between January 2021 and December 2022. Trade has been
affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and the associated lockdown measures globally. Consequently,
data quality has been affected and may be subject to larger revisions than normal. All figures are
reported in current prices (not adjusted for inflation), unless otherwise stated. We recognise that some of
the recent increases in UK trade values will be partly due to price increases.

If you look at the historical figures in cash terms (i.e. not adjusted for inflation) from the same publication....

the first thing to note is the exports have not jumped from "£99.6bn to £168.3bn" Unless you take 2015(ish) as your baseline

It's actually gone from 141bn (2021) to 168bn(2022) which is hardly surprising given (as the paper says) 2021 was during the pandemic.

If you look at the last pre pandemic year (2019) we have gone from (coincidentally) 141bn but those figures don't take inflation into account.

If you look at the CPI index in march 2019 - 107 and march 2023 - 119.7 you get a rise of just under 11% simply from inflation.... So our 141bn in 2019 would be £157bn anyway.

So the exports to the US have risen a much more modest £10bn out of £150bn (ish) since 2019.  Welcome but not exactly stellar.

(The EU figures are similar)

Meanwhile.....
Vauxhall-maker warns Brexit may force it to close UK factory

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65612295

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on May 17, 2023, 09:42:28 AM
That does not help todays news about poverty in Britain rising by 40% in the last year.
Of course it does , signs of a recovering economony is good news for everyone , even the low paid .  Tourism is the life blood of Cornwall ,how can you say over tourism is a problem ? 

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on May 17, 2023, 11:52:40 AM
Nothing can stop the BBC producing 40% more news about poverty. After all, it has just suffered a 10% cut in the licence fee, so can't be expected to be best pleased. And the workshy of Cornwall were never know for actually taking their coats off and getting stuck in.

:)
Still, exports to to the EU and USA are well up and that should be enough for the rest of the country.
Borchester there are no workshy  in Cornwall. The big problems are low wages, high rents and a housing shortage. Caused by over tourism.

Borchester

That does not help todays news about poverty in Britain rising by 40% in the last year.

Nothing can stop the BBC producing 40% more news about poverty. After all, it has just suffered a 10% cut in the licence fee, so can't be expected to be best pleased. And the workshy of Cornwall were never know for actually taking their coats off and getting stuck in.

:)
Still, exports to to the EU and USA are well up and that should be enough for the rest of the country.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 17, 2023, 09:54:32 AM
Any link to back that up?
It has been live on all the British TV news bulletins today repeatedly amongst other depressing news about debt levels, cost of living and other woes the Tory government is doing a three wise monkeys about.

Unlucky4Sum

Any link to back that up?

papasmurf