Minister announces bid to be Tory candidate for Mayor of London

Started by SKY News, May 19, 2023, 07:00:11 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on May 22, 2023, 04:02:53 PM
That is me.

I do like a good bonfire, particularly when the staff at the local nursing home complain. The allotment committee whimpers over and relays the complaints, but I point out that nome of us are getting any younger and it is our duty to create a few vacancies
Rant

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 22, 2023, 10:50:06 AM
I think his problem is is that ULEZ is seen as an attack on the motorist rather than a clean air measure . Inner London for sure not a problem but I believe its been shown that there will be  little effect in outer london with ULEZ expansion .

The main polution in my outer London neighbourhood is due to excessive growth of the plantlife ,trees and hedges there is always some T@@@ fireing up a bonfire . You can just gaurentee it ,as soon as the sun comes out the smoke will start wafting across the estate leading to anyone with astma or other breathing problems to shut all the windows and basically become a prisoner in their own homes . Yet you cant drive a 2006 Astra van 100 yards down the road to pick up a tin of paint ?

That is me.

I do like a good bonfire, particularly when the staff at the local nursing home complain. The allotment committee whimpers over and relays the complaints, but I point out that nome of us are getting any younger and it is our duty to create a few vacancies
Algerie Francais !

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on May 22, 2023, 08:15:55 AM
51% is not a  ringing endorsement.
A lot more than 27% especially as it's 65% of those that have a view

Making ULEZ the issue of that election really is a gift horse to Khan

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 21, 2023, 09:28:02 PM
You sure?

'There is strong public support for extending London's Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) to cover the whole of the capital, a new poll has found.'

'A survey by YouGov found that a majority of Londoners, 51 per cent, believe the planned expansion should go ahead, against 27 per cent who do not.'

Looks more like anyone trying to make ULEZ as THE issue would be guaranteeing Khan 4 more years
I think his problem is is that ULEZ is seen as an attack on the motorist rather than a clean air measure . Inner London for sure not a problem but I believe its been shown that there will be  little effect in outer london with ULEZ expansion .

The main polution in my outer London neighbourhood is due to excessive growth of the plantlife ,trees and hedges there is always some T@@@ fireing up a bonfire . You can just gaurentee it ,as soon as the sun comes out the smoke will start wafting across the estate leading to anyone with astma or other breathing problems to shut all the windows and basically become a prisoner in their own homes . Yet you cant drive a 2006 Astra van 100 yards down the road to pick up a tin of paint ? 

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 21, 2023, 09:28:02 PM
You sure?

'There is strong public support for extending London's Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) to cover the whole of the capital, a new poll has found.'

'A survey by YouGov found that a majority of Londoners, 51 per cent, believe the planned expansion should go ahead, against 27 per cent who do not.'

Looks more like anyone trying to make ULEZ as THE issue would be guaranteeing Khan 4 more years
51% is not a  ringing endorsement.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

All good stuff and I do not dispute that Saddo is a sad waste of space, but who else is there? No one knows Paul Scully from a bar of soap and the other candidates might as well be
Algerie Francais !

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on May 20, 2023, 02:01:40 PM
I suspect ULEZ has done for Kahn. . .
You sure?

papasmurf

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on May 21, 2023, 08:10:30 AM
Does anyone know what the car ownership level compared to the population within the ULEX area please?
Its about 40% of households in inner London and 70% in outer London 

Further info Centre for London | Understanding car ownership in London

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 20, 2023, 10:03:14 PM
Its been anyone but Khan around these parts for as long as he has been a candidate . Must be all those pesky other 'Londoners' who vote him in and I can't see that changing much .
Does anyone know what the car ownership level compared to the population within the ULEX area please?

Streetwalker

Its been anyone but Khan around these parts for as long as he has been a candidate . Must be all those pesky other 'Londoners' who vote him in and I can't see that changing much .

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on May 20, 2023, 02:22:54 PM
It' not just ULEZ, it's also the other traffic control measures TfL is imposing 
They are being put in place elsewhere as well. Cornwall Council has just raised the charges for car parking and imposed them for 24 hours a day. It will kill off already dying town centres.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on May 20, 2023, 02:01:40 PM
I suspect ULEZ has done for Kahn.

It also not just London, There are couple of  events my wife and I would like to go to in Bristol and it looks as if avoiding the pay zone in Bristol is going to be problematic.
It' not just ULEZ, it's also the other traffic control measures TfL is imposing and that he's encouraging the boroughs to set up, by allowing them to make money out of his schemes. Additionally, he's cleverly allying himself to Greens and the other environmentally concerned groupings that believe individually controlled motive power is Satan's spawn to give himself credibility...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on May 20, 2023, 01:22:46 PM
Not if there's no appealing opposition — even though Khan is losing favour with his heavy-handed approach to traffic rationalisation...
I suspect ULEZ has done for Kahn.

It also not just London, There are couple of  events my wife and I would like to go to in Bristol and it looks as if avoiding the pay zone in Bristol is going to be problematic.