Main Menu

Good News!

Started by BeElBeeBub, May 24, 2023, 05:34:10 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: patman post on June 01, 2023, 11:08:42 AM
Recently, I saw an in-house report on potential alternative battery technologies for EVs that listed five front runners:

Graphene-based
Organo-silicon electrolyte
Sodium sulphur
Sodium ion
Zinc-manganese dioxide

Currently they all have their drawbacks, but the rapid development of a few working prototypes, suggests particular qualities some show like short charging times, low hydrogen production, and ready availability of component materials.

The suggestion is that it's likely that the earlier developments are likely to be of heavier types and will be more suitable for stationary applications and heavy duty EV like goods trucks and buses. But even they ease the demand on lithium, and lithium supply — along with safety — is a principal driver in work on alternative battery technologies...
Graphene charges 60 times faster, is lighter, more powerful, more stable, but you can't tell the old dinosaurs stuck in the dark ages. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 01, 2023, 11:12:49 AM
So does Lithium as do all the group 1 elements above Hydrogen
I only had easy(ish) access to Sodium at Grammar school. Other than that the old man who owned a proper chemists, that actually sold chemicals  in a small town near where I used to live, never questioned the chemicals I used to buy when I was nine years old and onwards (It would never happen now.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 01, 2023, 11:08:42 AM

The suggestion is that it's likely that the earlier developments are likely to be of heavier types and will be more suitable for stationary applications and heavy duty EV like goods trucks and buses. But even they ease the demand on lithium, and lithium supply — along with safety — is a principle driver in work on alternative battery technologies...
Frankly Lithium batteries are scary when it come to being a fire hazard. (I would not want to be in the fire brigade.) Some of the other alternatives would be like driving around sat on a large incendiary bomb.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on June 01, 2023, 10:58:40 AM
Quite, not a solution yet. Also sodium is tricky stuff. (I used to have great fun with it in the science laboratory at Grammar school.)

Sodium is a FLAMMABLE SOLID which will ignite spontaneously in AIR or MOIST AIR and reacts violently with WATER or STEAM to produce flammable and explosive Hydrogen gas. Use dry chemicals appropriate for extinguishing metal fires such as graphite, soda ash or powdered sodium chloride.

To prevent sodium metal to react readily with air or water, the metal is kept under paraffin oil or any other similar oil substances.
So does Lithium as do all the group 1 elements above Hydrogen

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on June 01, 2023, 08:20:41 AM
Nick you may not have mentioned sodium, it is mentioned in the plans for Tata/JLR battery factories.
80000 tonnes of Lithium will be needed per annum for JLR batteries. What other type of battery you assume will be used could you please tell.
Recently, I saw an in-house report on potential alternative battery technologies for EVs that listed five front runners:

Graphene-based
Organo-silicon electrolyte
Sodium sulphur
Sodium ion
Zinc-manganese dioxide

Currently they all have their drawbacks, but the rapid development of a few working prototypes, suggests particular qualities some show like short charging times, low hydrogen production, and ready availability of component materials.

The suggestion is that it's likely that the earlier developments are likely to be of heavier types and will be more suitable for stationary applications and heavy duty EV like goods trucks and buses. But even they ease the demand on lithium, and lithium supply — along with safety — is a principal driver in work on alternative battery technologies...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 01, 2023, 09:34:03 AM
Sodium at over 3 times the atomic mass of Lithium may be cheap but it leads to much heavier batteries and also struggles with durability.  It really isn't a solution for cars. 
Quite, not a solution yet. Also sodium is tricky stuff. (I used to have great fun with it in the science laboratory at Grammar school.)

Sodium is a FLAMMABLE SOLID which will ignite spontaneously in AIR or MOIST AIR and reacts violently with WATER or STEAM to produce flammable and explosive Hydrogen gas. Use dry chemicals appropriate for extinguishing metal fires such as graphite, soda ash or powdered sodium chloride.

To prevent sodium metal to react readily with air or water, the metal is kept under paraffin oil or any other similar oil substances.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on May 31, 2023, 10:19:01 PM
I do t think that's quite true.
BYD and CATL .have both announced production this year and cars fitted with them on market this year

Of course, it's always possible there will be some hiccup but it looks like Sodium batteries may be arriving imminently.
*If* they fulfil their promise it's likely new battery plants will be springing up pretty fast given they get around the supply constraints of Lithium.

I imagine anyone who is thinking about building a battery plant is looking very hard at Sodium. Nobody wants to dump a.few billion into a betamax factory as VHS is launched.
Sodium at over 3 times the atomic mass of Lithium may be cheap but it leads to much heavier batteries and also struggles with durability.  It really isn't a solution for cars.  

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 01, 2023, 08:20:41 AM
Nick you may not have mentioned sodium, it is mentioned in the plans for Tata/JLR battery factories.
80000 tonnes of Lithium will be needed per annum for JLR batteries. What other type of battery you assume will be used could you please tell.
No, it's commercial IP. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 01, 2023, 06:46:00 AM
I never mentioned Sodium, and no my Automation Business doesn't rely on Tata/JLR. Do keep up old man.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 31, 2023, 04:53:18 PM
Nick, what are you on about, currently it is going to have to be Lithium, mass production of Sodium based batteries is some years away.  (You are so out of touch it is scary as it appears from what you have written your livelihood depends on Tata/JLR.)
I never mentioned Sodium, and no my Automation Business doesn't rely on Tata/JLR. Do keep up old man. 

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on May 31, 2023, 04:53:18 PM
Nick, what are you on about, currently it is going to have to be Lithium, mass production of Sodium based batteries is some years away.  (You are so out of touch it is scary as it appears from what you have written your livelihood depends on Tata/JLR.)
I do t think that's quite true.
BYD and CATL .have both announced production this year and cars fitted with them on market this year 

Of course, it's always possible there will be some hiccup but it looks like Sodium batteries may be arriving imminently.
*If* they fulfil their promise it's likely new battery plants will be springing up pretty fast given they get around the supply constraints of Lithium.

I imagine anyone who is thinking about building a battery plant is looking very hard at Sodium. Nobody wants to dump a.few billion into a betamax factory as VHS is launched.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 31, 2023, 07:55:16 PM
Oh, cause that's what I said, was it?
No, it is what the references about the new Tata/JLR battery factories state.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 31, 2023, 07:50:50 PM
Nick  frankly you are spouting bollocks.  Nickel manganese cobalt is just the cathode in the latest generation of lithium battery.

Oh, cause that's what I said, was it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 31, 2023, 07:35:18 PM
I know what they are going to be using, and it isn't Lithium. You think you know everything, have you not had the memo? I guess you'll have to wait until the industry announces it then.
Nick  frankly you are spouting bollocks.  Nickel manganese cobalt is just the cathode in the latest generation of lithium battery.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on May 31, 2023, 07:35:18 PM
I know what they are going to be using, and it isn't Lithium. You think you know everything, have you not had the memo? I guess you'll have to wait until the industry announces it then.
Ah so it is this then