Main Menu

Good News!

Started by BeElBeeBub, May 24, 2023, 05:34:10 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on June 05, 2023, 01:34:31 PM
I have been there done that and burned the T-shirt when come to finding out about E10, it is VERY expensive/impossible to convert 3 out of our 4 motorcycles to run on E10. Locally the majority of cars need E5.
There are many problems being caused by E10 petrol. It is not a simple as you seem to think.
E10 petrol: how will the switch affect your car? | Autocar

E10 petrol's higher bioethanol content is corrosive to rubber parts, gaskets, seals, metals and plastics, which causes engine damage, so it could dislodge deposits in older engines and fuel systems, causing blockages. It should only be used with expert advice, which means pretty much never.
Why are you repeating back to me what I posted?

Autocar appears to give less info than I've gathered from an XJS and XK150 owner.

How old is your car? Are you saying it shouldn't run on E10? Did it originally need leaded fuel? And is it so complicated you can't replace composition fuel lines and seals...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 05, 2023, 01:25:59 PM
The problem with E10 for some older cars is that the 10% of bioethanol is damaging to rubber and some other materials, and it absorbs water. Best to check you've not repaired a leaky fuel tank with fibreglass and your carburettor float isn't soldered. I guess all fuel rubber and plastic fuel pipes and seals could be changed after checking if your model of car needs them replaced.

It's all so much easier with motorcycles — though I've no idea what to do with two-strokes (double the oil content?)

For most cars made for E5, the occasional tank of E10 is unlikely to be harmful — just top up with E5 next time.

If you don't use the car much, and the E10 is likely to be sitting in the tank and fuel lines for some time, and your car is so old it doesn't have a catalytic converter, you could use Castrol Classic Valvemaster, which contains an ethanol stabiliser.

If your car has a catalytic converter, both Millers and Lucas have suitable additives...
I have been there done that and burned the T-shirt when come to finding out about E10, it is VERY expensive/impossible to convert 3 out of our 4 motorcycles to run on E10. Locally the majority of cars need E5.
There are many problems being caused by E10 petrol. It is not a simple as you seem to think.
E10 petrol: how will the switch affect your car? | Autocar

E10 petrol's higher bioethanol content is corrosive to rubber parts, gaskets, seals, metals and plastics, which causes engine damage, so it could dislodge deposits in older engines and fuel systems, causing blockages. It should only be used with expert advice, which means pretty much never.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on June 05, 2023, 01:02:15 PM
The problem is the gradual disappearance of E5 petrol and the closure of petrol stations. Where I live electric cars are as rare as rocking horse poo and Unicorns, due to the cost of the vehicles and installing charging points at home. (An external charging point would not last long here the salt atmosphere would "eat," it.)
The problem with E10 for some older cars is that the 10% of bioethanol is damaging to rubber and some other materials, and it absorbs water. Best to check you've not repaired a leaky fuel tank with fibreglass and your carburettor float isn't soldered. I guess all fuel rubber and plastic fuel pipes and seals could be changed after checking if your model of car needs them replaced.

It's all so much easier with motorcycles — though I've no idea what to do with two-strokes (double the oil content?)

For most cars made for E5, the occasional tank of E10 is unlikely to be harmful — just top up with E5 next time.

If you don't use the car much, and the E10 is likely to be sitting in the tank and fuel lines for some time, and your car is so old it doesn't have a catalytic converter, you could use Castrol Classic Valvemaster, which contains an ethanol stabiliser.

If your car has a catalytic converter, both Millers and Lucas have suitable additives...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 05, 2023, 12:56:20 PM
I doubt it. The ICE powered vehicle is going to be around for a good while yet. And looked after, even some better brands/marques of bread and butter cars will last for 20 or more years. The fuel may be doctored to make it cleaner, but OTC additives should sort that out, as happened with lead-free.

The march towards electric seems unstoppable. Already in my short road there are now three Teslas and a couple of MGs, plus plenty of hybrids...
The problem is the gradual disappearance of E5 petrol and the closure of petrol stations. Where I live electric cars are as rare as rocking horse poo and Unicorns, due to the cost of the vehicles and installing charging points at home. (An external charging point would not last long here the salt atmosphere would "eat," it.)

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on June 05, 2023, 09:55:54 AM
Frankly all the government insistence on electric cars is going to do is leave millions of people with no transport.
My current car cost me a whole £1000 and there are years of life in it yet. (The current problem is the gradual disappearance of E5 petrol.)
I doubt it. The ICE powered vehicle is going to be around for a good while yet. And looked after, even some better brands/marques of bread and butter cars will last for 20 or more years. The fuel may be doctored to make it cleaner, but OTC additives should sort that out, as happened with lead-free.

The march towards electric seems unstoppable. Already in my short road there are now three Teslas and a couple of MGs, plus plenty of hybrids...

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 05, 2023, 09:42:56 AM
I know nothing about car engines ,electric vehicles or batteries .

What does seem apparent though dispite the fanfare of the birth of electric vehicles is that they just dont fit into our needs .

From reading this thread , there seems a problem/shortage of the materials needed to power these cars with ever changing development required . There are not enough charging points and the intial costs are way to high .

I think the petrol pump has some life in it yet
Definitely 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 05, 2023, 09:42:56 AM
I know nothing about car engines ,electric vehicles or batteries .

What does seem apparent though dispite the fanfare of the birth of electric vehicles is that they just dont fit into our needs .

From reading this thread , there seems a problem/shortage of the materials needed to power these cars with ever changing development required . There are not enough charging points and the intial costs are way to high .

Frankly all the government insistence on electric cars is going to do is leave millions of people with no transport. 
My current car cost me a whole £1000 and there are years of life in it yet. (The current problem is the gradual disappearance of E5 petrol.) 

Streetwalker

I know nothing about car engines ,electric vehicles or batteries .

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 04, 2023, 11:00:29 PM
Says the one that said there were graphene battery mobile phones around.  I'm not taking sides here. 

Like it or not, by 1962 what we now know as graphene had been imaged. 
Quite. Nick still has not been able to reference what material other than Lithium is going form the bulk of Tata/JLR batteries. (There are many other materials used in small amounts in EV batteries.)

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on June 04, 2023, 08:39:15 PM
Pathetic!!

Graphene doesn't doesn't part the waves (Velikovsky, another reference you and Smurf can pretend you'd heard of before) nor is it a natural occurring substance. So knowing of a natural occurrence that you can't explain is totally different to knowing of a man made substance 40 years before it's been made. It's like knowing about GA and what it does 40 years before the diode was invented. Feel free to hitch your wagon to a bullshitter.
Says the one that said there were graphene battery mobile phones around.  I'm not taking sides here.  

Like it or not, by 1962 what we now know as graphene had been imaged.  

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 04, 2023, 08:02:10 PM
I suggest you read it again tracing the words with your index finger

I'll give you a clue:  comets were known about many years before people started calling them 'comets'
Pathetic!!

Graphene doesn't doesn't part the waves (Velikovsky, another reference you and Smurf can pretend you'd heard of before) nor is it a natural occurring substance. So knowing of a natural occurrence that you can't explain is totally different to knowing of a man made substance 40 years before it's been made. It's like knowing about GA and what it does 40 years before the diode was invented. Feel free to hitch your wagon to a bullshitter.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on June 04, 2023, 07:45:35 PM
No it hasn't, suggest you learn to read. It very clearly states that the term Graphene was not used until much later than the sixties.
I suggest you read it again tracing the words with your index finger

I'll give you a clue:  comets were known about many years before people started calling them 'comets'

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 04, 2023, 07:17:54 PM
Nick does not seem to be able to read properly.
Think you need to read your link again old man. 

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 04, 2023, 06:51:20 PM
Nick this is what Papasmurf actually said It's been proven to be true.
No it hasn't, suggest you learn to read. It very clearly states that the term Graphene was not used until much later than the sixties. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 04, 2023, 06:51:20 PM
Nick this is what Papasmurf actually said It's been proven to be true.
Nick does not seem to be able to read properly.