« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 06, 2023, 02:59:57 PM
You've fucked up the quoting Papasmurf, please correct it
I am agreeing with your comment.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on June 06, 2023, 02:48:48 PM
Quite, I am wondering about Nick, especially no one has claimed the name was in use in 1962, the point you seem determined to not let through your skull is the material we now know as graphene was being described from 1962
You've fucked up the quoting Papasmurf, please correct it

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 06, 2023, 02:38:10 PM
Do you really need 'standardizing' explained in simple terms?

And no one has claimed the name was in use in 1962, the point you seem determined to not let through your skull is the material we now know as graphene was being described from 1962

You've been obsessed trying to show you know more than papasmurf on this (which was actually about the current and foreseeable world need for Lithium) but all you've actually been doing is showing you are missing the point big time.
Quite, I am wondering about Nick, especially no one has claimed the name was in use in 1962, the point you seem determined to not let through your skull is the material we now know as graphene was being described from 1962

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2023, 01:48:46 PM
Not 1962.
Do you really need 'standardizing' explained in simple terms?

And no one has claimed the name was in use in 1962, the point you seem determined to not let through your skull is the material we now know as graphene was being described from 1962 

You've been obsessed trying to show you know more than papasmurf on this (which was actually about the current and foreseeable world need for Lithium) but all you've actually been doing is showing you are missing the point big time.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on June 05, 2023, 05:25:29 PM
My car is 21 years old but does not need E5. (I am worried about the millions of people who are having problems with E10 because of their cars/motorcycles are getting damaged by it, including is some instances wrecked engines.  (The usual lack of information from government.)
Three of our motorcycles do need E5. (I had to contact the manufacturer in one case because there was zero information on the government website or the manufacturers website.)
To make them OK to run on E10 would be massively expensive. In one case to would a need full engine strip down and rebuild. (Some of the O rings are VERY difficult to get at.)
Govt site on E10 and E5 fuels seems explicit enough and even links to other sites to get further info.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

Plus, there are other manufacturer and supplier sites with info on — though I reckon it's always best to double-check any opinions and info given out by enthusiast groups, they've often proved to harbour people with the weirdest ideas.

It areas where there's a substantial number of older vehicles (often pre-2000-2002), I don't see petrol retailers stopping to stock E5. It's going to be around for years yet, especially in more rural areas where domestic and commercial agri and gardening is often petrol powered...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 06, 2023, 01:39:14 PM
Which you did not bother to read in full.
You just said it wasn't a link, make your mind up. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 06, 2023, 01:35:40 PM
Later paragraph:

'. Although the term "graphene" is often used to refer to a variety of compositions, a precise definition of this material has been available since 1986, when Boehm et al. recommended standardizing the term . . .'

Not 1962. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2023, 01:25:01 PM
What is it then Scotch Mist?

Which you did not bother to read in full.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2023, 08:36:13 AM
First paragraph "Graphene like materials". That's the same as sand and glass.
Later paragraph:

'. Although the term "graphene" is often used to refer to a variety of compositions, a precise definition of this material has been available since 1986, when Boehm et al. recommended standardizing the term . . .'

Nick

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2023, 08:36:13 AM
That is not  a link.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 06, 2023, 08:13:52 AM
Nick it is you who are wrong, graphene was known about, but not given that name long before that.  I note you did not post a link.
Suggested reading.  (It will not copy an paste.)

From Conception to Realization: An Historial Account of Graphene and Some Perspectives for Its Future (utexas.edu)

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 05, 2023, 07:50:15 PM
Wrong. The term Graphene didn't appear until 87 and it was used to mean a single sheet of Graphite, that is not what Graphene (what we're talking about with regard to batteries) is. The thing you're talking about in 1962 is thin layers of graphite and beats no resemblance to Graphene, and the word was never used.

The term "graphene" appeared for the first time in 1987 and was used to describe individual graphite sheets as one component of graphite intercalation compounds, or GICs (crystalline salts of intercalant and graphene).

Nick it is you who are wrong, graphene was known about, but not given that name long before that.  I note you did not post a link.
Suggested reading.  (It will not copy an paste.)

From Conception to Realization: An Historial Account of Graphene and Some Perspectives for Its Future (utexas.edu)

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 04, 2023, 11:00:29 PM
Says the one that said there were graphene battery mobile phones around.  I'm not taking sides here. 

Like it or not, by 1962 what we now know as graphene had been imaged. 
Wrong. The term Graphene didn't appear until 87 and it was used to mean a single sheet of Graphite, that is not what Graphene (what we're talking about with regard to batteries) is. The thing you're talking about in 1962 is thin layers of graphite and beats no resemblance to Graphene, and the word was never used. 

The term "graphene" appeared for the first time in 1987 and was used to describe individual graphite sheets as one component of graphite intercalation compounds, or GICs (crystalline salts of intercalant and graphene).

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 05, 2023, 02:19:17 PM
Why are you repeating back to me what I posted?

Autocar appears to give less info than I've gathered from an XJS and XK150 owner.

How old is your car? Are you saying it shouldn't run on E10? Did it originally need leaded fuel? And is it so complicated you can't replace composition fuel lines and seals...?
My car is 21 years old but does not need E5. (I am worried about the millions of people who are having problems with E10 because of their cars/motorcycles are getting damaged by it, including is some instances wrecked engines.  (The usual lack of information from government.)
Three of our motorcycles do need E5. (I had to contact the manufacturer in one case because there was zero information on the government website or the manufacturers website.)
To make them OK to run on E10 would be massively expensive. In one case to would a need full engine strip down and rebuild. (Some of the O rings are VERY difficult to get at.)