I am so sick of Covid

Started by Borchester, May 27, 2023, 01:52:50 PM

« previous - next »

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on June 30, 2023, 05:20:26 AM
Nothing there that goes close to the 14th century.
FFS the first words are 'late 14c'  

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 29, 2023, 05:13:06 PM
Oh the irony from the poster that could never back his graphene boasts

Anyyway I heard it on the radio years ago that it was (as gai) a term used to describe the antics of the French princes that never married.

This certainly backs that age of the word and certainly that over 100 years use to describe homosexuality https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=gay&ref=searchbar_searchhint
Nothing there that goes close to the 14th century.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 29, 2023, 07:58:44 PM
In your case I think it's the men in white coats we need to call
Ad hom attack 1
Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 29, 2023, 08:01:40 PM
No and if you understood English you'd know that
Ad hom attack 2

Stevie has lost his argument and has resorted to attacking the poster. Stevie should ban himself for a week. :)
† The end is nigh †

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 29, 2023, 07:58:44 PM

I'll be sure to direct these men to HarperCollins Publishers, and hopefully those naughty naughty word-criminals can be brought to justice.  😁
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on June 29, 2023, 05:29:39 PM
UnluckySpam said the meaning of words come from the dictionary.  He ignored that there are many dictionaries, and a number of well-known ones, and he obviously didn't know the Collins definition of vaccine is different to his selected one.  So his claim that the mRNA injections are vaccines 'cos the dictionary says so', just falls flat.  And I'm sure no dictionaries used to include genetically engineered materials, nano-particles, in the definition.  So at some point, dictionaries re-defined the word vaccine, in a way which did not necessarily reflect the popular consensus.  That certainly happens, for example Pluto no longer being defined as a planet, according to dictionaries, even while most people still called it a planet.
No and if you understood English you'd know that

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on June 29, 2023, 05:48:20 PM
I think language has confused you.  Describing a homosexual as gay is not the same as the definitions being the same.  You could describe a homosexual as flamboyant, but that does not mean flamboyant = homosexual.  There is no mention of 'gay' being used to mean homosexual anywhere near the 14th century. 
I know what I heard and I know that link tends to back it and I know it shows gay = homosexuality usage going back decades. 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on June 29, 2023, 05:36:01 PM
And yet you continue to ignore the Collins definition.  So is that an idiot definition?  And are you going to call the police?  🤣

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 29, 2023, 05:13:06 PM

Anyyway I heard it on the radio years ago that it was (as gai) a term used to describe the antics of the French princes that never married.

This certainly backs that age of the word and certainly that over 100 years use to describe homosexuality https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=gay&ref=searchbar_searchhint

I think language has confused you.  Describing a homosexual as gay is not the same as the definitions being the same.  You could describe a homosexual as flamboyant, but that does not mean flamboyant = homosexual.  There is no mention of 'gay' being used to mean homosexual anywhere near the 14th century.  
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 29, 2023, 05:16:22 PM
Anyway the point at hand is your idiot comment that it was only a vaccine if it was a virus and your rejection of the dictionaries that say that was complete rubbish.

Remember this? 

And yet you continue to ignore the Collins definition.  So is that an idiot definition?  And are you going to call the police?  🤣

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 29, 2023, 01:24:39 PM
Maybe you should look back at Scotty's absurd proposition that he can unilaterally change the meaning of words for all

Not what I said.

Scott777

Quote from: patman post on June 29, 2023, 01:18:57 PM
Not sure that I agree your argument. While many/most (traditional?) vaccines to date have contained a weakened or dead bacteria or virus to activate the body's immunity, a new type of vaccine uses a synthesized "particle" to do that job.

Seems to me this is a logical extension of synthesizing drugs and medications found in nature — eg, is aspirin still made from meadowsweet or willow bark...?

UnluckySpam said the meaning of words come from the dictionary.  He ignored that there are many dictionaries, and a number of well-known ones, and he obviously didn't know the Collins definition of vaccine is different to his selected one.  So his claim that the mRNA injections are vaccines 'cos the dictionary says so', just falls flat.  And I'm sure no dictionaries used to include genetically engineered materials, nano-particles, in the definition.  So at some point, dictionaries re-defined the word vaccine, in a way which did not necessarily reflect the popular consensus.  That certainly happens, for example Pluto no longer being defined as a planet, according to dictionaries, even while most people still called it a planet.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on June 29, 2023, 04:54:33 PM
No I didn't fail.  You can't fail something you had no intention to do.  I never said I could change it.

Ahem

Quote from: Scott777 on June 28, 2023, 07:50:09 AM
Rubbish.  Intelligent people know that the meaning of words in the dictionary can be changed at will, . . .

Anyway the point at hand is your idiot comment that it was only a vaccine if it was a virus and your rejection of the dictionaries that say that was complete rubbish.

Remember this?  
QuoteA true vaccine is just a virus, usually weakened.  mRNA injections are just genetically engineered junk pretending to be a vaccine.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on June 29, 2023, 02:29:50 PM
But you're not going to back it up though?

Anyyway I heard it on the radio years ago that it was (as gai) a term used to describe the antics of the French princes that never married. 

This certainly backs that age of the word and certainly that over 100 years use to describe homosexuality https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=gay&ref=searchbar_searchhint

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 29, 2023, 11:00:53 AM
And guess what, Scotty failed to rewrite that dictionary

No I didn't fail.  You can't fail something you had no intention to do.  I never said I could change it.

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 29, 2023, 01:24:39 PMsome say back to 14th century France
But you're not going to back it up though?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.