What happens next in the Margaret Ferrier case?

Started by BBC News , May 30, 2023, 01:04:44 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 30, 2023, 09:59:07 AM
IIRC her idiocy took place before the widespread distribution of those lateral flow tests.  In any event after she knew her test had been positive she got on a train back to Scotland which was less than complying with the then isolation rules.

She's admitted guilt, the SNP rightly dropped her like a stone and she's just been desperately trying to delay the inevitable because she wants the salary for as long as possible.
Thanks for clearing that up with regard the tests but wasnt the rules at the time if you test postive something like 'You must go home and stay at ay home '  ? . Some would say though not in the spirit of the rule she wasn't exactly breaking it as she went home ,just not to her nearest one ;)

Borchester

Seems a lot of fuss over not very much.

The real point is that her local party don't want her but she refuses to step dowm, so the Rutherglen and Hamilton West constituency is going to be a bit of a mess SNP wise
Algerie Francais !

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 30, 2023, 05:14:23 AM
Doesn't sound right to me . When I took covid tests the result was there in front of you within minuites . Ms Ferrier must have have had a pound shop version if she had to wait for the result while giving a speech in Parliament .
IIRC her idiocy took place before the widespread distribution of those lateral flow tests.  In any event after she knew her test had been positive she got on a train back to Scotland which was less than complying with the then isolation rules.

She's admitted guilt, the SNP rightly dropped her like a stone and she's just been desperately trying to delay the inevitable because she wants the salary for as long as possible.

Unlucky4Sum

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 30, 2023, 05:14:23 AM
Doesn't sound right to me . When I took covid tests the result was there in front of you within minuites . Ms Ferrier must have have had a pound shop version if she had to wait for the result while giving a speech in Parliament .
I have several packs of tests, from various sources, they all show a result within 15 minutes.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 30, 2023, 01:21:17 AM
As usual the bbc is to be commended for its bias

To force a by election, the speaker must agree to allow a recall petition.

This of course assumes the constituency has an appetite to have one

if i recall correctly the last speaker was less than happy about certain recall oetotions, but tben he was a biased remainer T@@@ too.
Are you certain that the speaker is not required to follow procedures? The latest procedures are given in the link below:...

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn05089/

MPs can be recalled under three circumstances:

• Conviction in the UK of any offence and sentenced or ordered to be imprisoned or detained, after all appeals have been exhausted. Note – a sentence over 12 months in jail automatically disqualifies someone from being an MP;

• Suspension from the House following report and recommended sanction from the Committee on Standards for a specified period (at least 10 sitting days, or at least 14 days if sitting days are not specified);

• Convicted of an offence under section 10 of the Parliamentary Standards Act 2009 (making false or misleading Parliamentary allowances claims). Note – the sentence does not have to be custodial for this condition.
If one of the conditions is met the Speaker of the House must notify the local returning officer. They are known as a petition officer when dealing with a recall petition.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

johnofgwent

Quote from: BBC News  on May 30, 2023, 01:04:44 AM

If the MP is suspended for breaking Covid rules, a by-election is more likely - but not certain.

Source: What happens next in the Margaret Ferrier case?
As usual the bbc is to be commended for its bias

To force a by election, the speaker must agree to allow a recall petition.

This of course assumes the constituency has an appetite to have one

if i recall correctly the last speaker was less than happy about certain recall oetotions, but tben he was a biased remainer T@@@ too.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

BBC News

If the MP is suspended for breaking Covid rules, a by-election is more likely - but not certain.

Source: What happens next in the Margaret Ferrier case?