The Cooper's Hill Cheese rolling and wake 1923

Started by Borchester, May 30, 2023, 10:20:46 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 31, 2023, 10:59:26 AM
But I bet that insurance doesn't pay for the NHS treatment and we do instead.
The NHS can charge people for such accidents and the insurance pays it. (They can even charge for car accident injury treatment.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 31, 2023, 10:59:26 AM
That can be said of anyone using the NHS . What do you want to do , stop people enjoying themselves in case of accident or injury ?

Unlucky4Sum

Shall we have a whip round to buy Borky a calendar so he knows it's no longer 1923?

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on May 31, 2023, 10:32:10 AM
That depends most "dangerous sports" require insurance cover for those taking part. (It can be a large amount of money in some instances.)

When my wife and I many years ago built a Canadian Canoe we had £2 million public liability insurance. (That was cheap back in 1980s.)
On the other hand some long distance yacht races cost £20000 or more for insurance.

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 31, 2023, 10:25:30 AM
I think we can guess who pays for the hospital treatment of those injured.  Us
That depends most "dangerous sports" require insurance cover for those taking part. (It can be a large amount of money in some instances.)

When my wife and I many years ago built a Canadian Canoe we had £2 million public liability insurance. (That was cheap back in 1980s.)
On the other hand some long distance yacht races cost £20000 or more for insurance.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on May 31, 2023, 09:29:39 AM
It appears there is a lack of liaison between the organisors of the event, the police, and ambulance services. (Which is usually the kiss of death to any event eventually, that and the cost of insurance cover.

Safety fears at Cheese Rolling 2023 as no emergency services cover for event - Gloucestershire Live
I think we can guess who pays for the hospital treatment of those injured.  Us

papasmurf

It appears there is a lack of liaison between the organisors of the event, the police, and ambulance services. (Which is usually the kiss of death to any event eventually, that and the cost of insurance cover.

Safety fears at Cheese Rolling 2023 as no emergency services cover for event - Gloucestershire Live

Streetwalker

Always good see the the international community also has their fair share of village idiots .
A great traditional event though yet to be cancelled by the elf and safety crazies, thinking about it (as you do at 6am) maybe a few of them should be thrown down the hill so they can see how much fun they are missing ;)

Congrats to young Delaney , the tactic of knocking yourself out half way down the hill and letting gravity take over was a genious  often seen in Canadians 

Unlucky4Sum

Not hard for a woman to win the race for women.  Unsurprisingly a bloke won the men's race.

Somewhat hard to believe it was that woman though as she was knocked unconscious during the race.

Borchester

Great stuff.

Of course, the joke is that as the hill is concave, the participants don't so much run down the hill as fall off it.

This year's winner was 19 year old Canadian Delaney Irving. Wonderful lass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asfWtcbjD4A
Algerie Francais !