LGTBQIA2S+

Started by papasmurf, May 31, 2023, 11:35:28 AM

« previous - next »

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on May 31, 2023, 01:03:32 PM
The subject has wrecked the news on and off for weeks, latest incident:-

Kathleen Stock's speech at Oxford Union, all over the media/press

Oxford Union - Google Search

I repeat NOT on any main news site front page nor was it the lead story on any news bulletin.  That your perception is that it dominated the news says much about you and nothing that's good.

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on May 31, 2023, 02:29:55 PM
From.my perspective the majority of the recent noise is coming from the "enough of this gay stuff" side.
Which appears to be most people not in the chattering classes.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on May 31, 2023, 02:29:55 PM
From.my perspective the majority of the recent noise is coming from the "enough of this gay stuff" side.

Yeah there are a rainbow of rainbow themed events happening and frankly I can't keep up,  but the fact that your local bakery has rainbow cupcakes on sale one week or there's a man dressed as a woman (or woman dressed as a man) on telly outside of panto season affects me not one bit.

What does worry me is climate change, the rise of the far right, the cost of living crisis, health care and education, the UK demographic time bomb, global refugee crisis, trust in politics, the Balkans, the middle east, China, Russia, sewage in rivers and about a hundred other things before what's in a random stranger's underwear
Almost 100% my attitude too...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 31, 2023, 01:59:00 PM
I agree Papa , it seems you cant avoid it these days . My radio listening has decreased of late for the simple fact that every presenter seems honour bound to dedicate a section of their show to LBGT issues . Phone ins are worse with it seems every other call in regardless of topic being the view from the other side .
Nobody gives a hoot but I don't want to know how trans people are effected by ice cream sales or that John from Peterboroughs husband cant get to work because of the train strike .
It seems that since it was decided to legalise all this gay stuff that they cant stop talking about it . Which is probably great for them as it normalises whatever outlook they have on sexual stuff but not so good for us who just want to know the price of beans or  who is the next name on the remoaners hitlist

Yeah there are a rainbow of rainbow themed events happening and frankly I can't keep up,  but the fact that your local bakery has rainbow cupcakes on sale one week or there's a man dressed as a woman (or woman dressed as a man) on telly outside of panto season affects me not one bit.

What does worry me is climate change, the rise of the far right, the cost of living crisis, health care and education, the UK demographic time bomb, global refugee crisis, trust in politics, the Balkans, the middle east, China, Russia, sewage in rivers and about a hundred other things before what's in a random stranger's underwear 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 31, 2023, 01:59:00 PM
I agree Papa , it seems you cant avoid it these days . 
I am struck down by "there is a lot of it about," at the moment and "confined to barracks."  I gave up watching the news this morning and watched a few relaxing videos like this one:-

"Spices of Four Seasons" Purple Garlic - The Essential Spicy Flavor on the Tables in Yunnan - YouTube

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on May 31, 2023, 01:03:32 PM

I agree Papa , it seems you cant avoid it these days . My radio listening has decreased of late for the simple fact that every presenter seems honour bound to dedicate a section of their show to LBGT issues . Phone ins are worse with it seems every other call in regardless of topic being the view from the other side .
Nobody gives a hoot but I don't want to know how trans people are effected by ice cream sales or that John from Peterboroughs husband cant get to work because of the train strike .
It seems that since it was decided to legalise all this gay stuff that they cant stop talking about it . Which is probably great for them as it normalises whatever outlook they have on sexual stuff but not so good for us who just want to know the price of beans or  who is the next name on the remoaners hitlist 

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on May 31, 2023, 01:30:00 PM

Given how small the trans issue is, in terms of actual impact on 99.999% of people's everyday lives, it seems overblown. 
Very over blown. The country going to hell in a handcart and the TV and newspaper chatterati are commenting on nothing else but GTBQIA2S+ and Philip Schofield.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 31, 2023, 12:31:14 PM
A quick look at the BBC, ITV and Sky main news sites top pages at 12.28pm reveals not one mention of LGTBQ . . . issues

Maybe you are just hypersensitive to any mention of such issues that you feel they are dominating. 

I would put LGBT... stuff, specifically the trans part,  in the same bucket as all the other things that certain sections of media and politics try and lump together as "woke".

In that context it gets a lot of attention. We have government ministers and national newspapers railing against "woke" (of which the trans part is a small section).

Given how small the trans issue is, in terms of actual impact on 99.999% of people's everyday lives, it seems overblown.  Most people will have zero actual interaction with a trans person.  So it seems strange to be so worried about how their right to live their life will affect you.

It's also notable how some of the hysteria around the trans community closely resembles the hysteria around homosexuals as late as the 90's.

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 31, 2023, 12:31:14 PM
A quick look at the BBC, ITV and Sky main news sites top pages at 12.28pm reveals not one mention of LGTBQ . . . issues

Maybe you are just hypersensitive to any mention of such issues that you feel they are dominating.

patman post

What makes some topics grow to "dominate" news agendas and into public awareness and discussions appears to be just a raft and confluence of happy accidents. And we, ourselves, might become sensitised to them.

Several years ago I read a lengthy article by a past journalism guru (well known, but I can't remember his name — I'll load it if it comes back to me), who suggested these stories somehow grew into "fashionable" stories, sometimes building up in self-fulfilling activities I remember he cited topics from the '70s like industrial effluent destroying fish in rivers, guard dogs attacking children, mods and rockers assembling in Brighton for bank holiday battles, etc.

These stories were followed by extensive comment, reports and screenings of animal rights and animal abuse demos, over-zealous child protection efforts in areas around the country, which the public also talked about. They all became, for a while, news media led. Does Swampy ring any bells?

These days the mainstream media has been largely replaced by a generally more ill-informed and mischievous social media, much of which has participants who enjoy being part highly visible movements.

LBGT etc awareness will likely become an acceptable part of everyday life and excite little further comment — like the public smoking ban. Fred in a backless summer dress in Wetherspoons, might get a second glance, but more likely gets engaged in conversation. Awareness of the next fashionable topic will already be growing...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on May 31, 2023, 11:35:28 AM
LGTBQIA2S+ is an acronym for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, Two-Spirit, and the countless affirmative ways in which people choose to self-identify.

Does anyone know WHY this seems to be dominating news current affairs and infiltrating life in general recently? . .

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on May 31, 2023, 11:35:28 AM
LGTBQIA2S+ is an acronym for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, Two-Spirit, and the countless affirmative ways in which people choose to self-identify.

Does anyone know WHY this seems to be dominating news current affairs and infiltrating life in general recently?

I ask because even at a motorcycle rally last weekend it came into conversation and people are getting VERY angry about it.

Usually such rallies leave the world outside and it is a case of getting "relaxed", taking the mickey out of each other's motorcycles and each other, with some expert help available for mechanical and electrical problems.
Because certain political parties (in many countries) see it as a way to win elections by confecting a mostly made up panic.

Are there a host of issues around gender, sexual expression and rights? Yup.

Are they the most pressing things facing us in today's world?

I'm gonna say, no. Not even close to the top 20.

How many people at that rally had any kind of actual LGB... problem in their lives?

I'm think most would have issues with cost of living, healthcare, education (maybe), pensions, housing, crime and so on.

Honestly, if the worst thing in your life is somebody peeing in the wrong bathroom or decreasing like a pantomime dame outside of panto season, you're pretty lucky.

papasmurf

Does anyone know WHY this seems to be dominating news current affairs and infiltrating life in general recently?

I ask because even at a motorcycle rally last weekend it came into conversation and people are getting VERY angry about it.

Usually such rallies leave the world outside and it is a case of getting "relaxed", taking the mickey out of each other's motorcycles and each other, with some expert help available for mechanical and electrical problems.