Still waiting for those benefits.

Started by BeElBeeBub, June 07, 2023, 06:10:14 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 09, 2023, 03:17:13 PM
Where is the official statement from the French? And not your mate down the quay side.
How would I know, the stopping of the export of Spider Crab is VERY recent. The French are not taking any. Reason not known at this time.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 09, 2023, 03:10:09 PM
Stopping accepting shipments is recent, (fish merchant/exporter in Penzance,) no explanation as yet as to why.
Where is the official statement from the French? And not your mate down the quay side. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 09, 2023, 02:23:09 PM
And of course you have no link to where the French have stopped the import.
Stopping accepting shipments is recent, (fish merchant/exporter in Penzance,) no explanation as yet as to why.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 09, 2023, 03:08:07 PM
Sorry Nick but still waiting for those benefits is related to the ever increasing poverty in Britain.
No it's not so desist. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 09, 2023, 02:26:22 PM
This thread is not about poverty so take it somewhere else please.
Sorry Nick but still waiting for those benefits is related to the ever increasing poverty in Britain.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 09, 2023, 01:21:29 PMYou and Sunak aren't, I am getting regular coordinated updates from the Cornwall Diocese poverty forum.
This thread is not about poverty so take it somewhere else please.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 09, 2023, 01:21:29 PM
You and Sunak aren't, I am getting regular coordinated updates from the Cornwall Diocese poverty forum. (Poverty is now a big news item whether the you or the Tories like it or not. Tthe poverty is getting worse by the day. Brexit is on it way to destroying local Farming, (Therese Coffey was given a hard time about it at the Royal Cornwall Show yesterday.)
There is a problem with fishing, (straight from the horses mouth this morning, the French have stopped any imports of Spider Crab from Britain, reason as yet nto known.)
And of course you have no link to where the French have stopped the import. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 09, 2023, 10:58:11 AM
Change the record FFS, we are not talking about poverty.
You and Sunak aren't, I am getting regular coordinated updates from the Cornwall Diocese poverty forum. (Poverty is now a big news item whether the you or the Tories like it or not. Tthe poverty is getting worse by the day. Brexit is on it way to destroying local Farming, (Therese Coffey was given a hard time about it at the Royal Cornwall Show yesterday.)
There is a problem with fishing, (straight from the horses mouth this morning, the French have stopped any imports of Spider Crab from Britain, reason as yet nto known.)

patman post

Quote from: Nick on June 09, 2023, 10:30:35 AM
Covid and Putin have done that, for someone who purports to keep up with the news you have missed 2 BIG news stories.

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/ar/2022/in-focus/covid-19/

You'll notice that Brexit is not mentioned once in the whole IMF report, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Covid and Putin affect more than just the UK. Brexit and chronically-bad UK PMs and governments — especially since 2019 — have been the extra drags on the UK economy.

No mater how the figures are dressed up, the UK is still performing behind its main EU and other competitors even though some headline percentages are massaged to give the UK bigger numbers (despite lower results). The UK has to continue to grow for some time yet before it even catches up with its EU and G7 rivals.

As an aside, it's interesting to note how negative data about the UK from IMF and other organisations is decried by some, but the same people are all too ready to trumpet the slightest positive pronouncements from those sources...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 09, 2023, 10:44:49 AM
The Tory government incompetence, austerity, and callousness has contributed to poverty since May 2010, only latterly have Covid and Putin been a factor as has Brexit.
That IMF report is specific to Covid and Putin, it would not mention Brexit anyway.
Change the record FFS, we are not talking about poverty. We are looking at the UK GDP and economy, they are not explicitly linked to how much money the great unwashed have in their pocketses precious. BTW, poverty levels in the UK drop consistently for 11 years since 2010, just thought you should know.

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on June 09, 2023, 10:44:00 AM
why would brexit be mentioned in an IMF report on blows to the world economy?
Brexit is a tiny pimple on the world economy.
Contrary to Brexiters imaginings the EU hasn't crumbled without the powerhouse of the UK to prop it up.
Brexit is a problem for the UK first and EU to a lesser degree. (as predicted).
A global pandemic and European war will always have a greater effect on the world economy than a single country shooting itself in the foot.
So as I've been saying for  2 years, Brexit, even if it had a slight affect will not be seen, there are 2 huge events eclipsing it.

papasmurf

Covid and Putin have done that, for someone who purports to keep up with the news you have missed 2 BIG news stories.

You'll notice that Brexit is not mentioned once in the whole IMF report, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story.
The Tory government incompetence, austerity, and callousness has contributed to poverty since May 2010, only latterly have Covid and Putin been a factor as has Brexit. 
That IMF report is specific to Covid and Putin, it would not mention Brexit anyway.

BeElBeeBub

why would brexit be mentioned in an IMF report on blows to the world economy?
Brexit is a tiny pimple on the world economy. 
Contrary to Brexiters imaginings the EU hasn't crumbled without the powerhouse of the UK to prop it up. 
Brexit is a problem for the UK first and EU to a lesser degree. (as predicted). 
A global pandemic and European war will always have a greater effect on the world economy than a single country shooting itself in the foot.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on June 09, 2023, 06:06:38 AM
The benefits!!

The benefit is that the UK is not in a recession, after the REAL figures have come in from the EU, it turns out that the whole of the EU is in recession. The UK gives true figures out and everybody and their dog says we are heading for recession, the EU lies through it's teeth and has rave reviews. Well, read it and weep.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/08/euro-zone-enters-recession-after-germany-ireland-growth-revision.html
"it turns out that the whole of the EU is in recession" - not quite.

The average growth of the eurozone was -0.1 for 22Q4 and 23Q1 for the two quarters, so a recession.  But the EU27 ("the whole of the EU) wasn't in recession.  In fact only Germany, Estonia, Ireland, Lithuania and Hungary have had recessions (2 successive negative quarters). 

There is also a big question mark over the Irish figures the last 5 quarters go  +2.1, +2.5, -0.1, -4.6 that last figure seems very odd (and has been noted as unlikely) - after all a quarter contraction of nearly 5% is a massive deal, pretty hard to not see that "on the ground".

As for the REAL figures.  All GDP estimates fluctuate as data comes in.  Revisions up or down are common, and happen to the UK as much as the EU. 

The ONS even has a table for it

Table 4: Revisions to quarter-on-quarter growth for components of GDP
Quarter 1 (Jan to Mar) 2022 to Quarter 4 (Oct to Dec) 2022

Percentage points
2022 Q1
2022 Q2
2022 Q3
2022 Q4

Average GDP in
chained volume
measures

[th]Output[/th]

[th]Production[/th]

[th]Construction[/th]

[th]Services[/th]

[th]Expenditure[/th]

[th]Households[/th]

0.2-0.50.10.1
[th]Non-profit
institutions
serving
households
[/th]

[th]General government[/th]

0.0-0.20.3-0.3
[th]Gross fixed
capital formation
[/th]

2.2-1.70.8-1.2
[th]Total exports[/th]

-0.7-0.11.1-0.4
[th]Total imports[/th]

0.90.3-0.2-1.7
[th]Average GDP in
current prices
[/th]

0.10.2-0.20.7
[th]Income[/th]

[th]Compensation of employees[/th]

[th]Gross operating
surplus of
corporations
[/th]

0.50.1-1.4-6.7
[th]Other income[/th]

-0.1-0.10.32.9
[th]Taxes on products
& production
less subsidies
[/th]

0.5-0.10.311.6
Source: GDP quarterly national accounts from the Office for National Statistics

As you can see, some sectors have massive revision up and down

So yes, 5 Euro members including the biggest have had recessions (albeit mild) over a year when there has been a war and huge disruption (Germany being particularly exposed) and the average for the countries using the Euro has been recession.

The UK isn't out of the woods yet either.  Our housing market is shaky, we are still delaying lots of the border restrictions resulting from brexit (because of the economic damage they would cause). maybe we will avoid a technical recession but i don't think you can say the UK is booming.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 09, 2023, 07:56:59 AM
Try telling that to the increasing number of people in work and in poverty.