Still waiting for those benefits.

Started by BeElBeeBub, June 07, 2023, 06:10:14 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2023, 07:39:17 AM
It does, you can't even understand graphics.
I'm talking about the balance of EU versus World trade, that's what my graph shows, not the balance between import and export.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

BeElBeeBub

The continued importance of UK/EU trade is pretty clear.

Both imports and exports have been growing steadily since 1999 (and before)

The fact the BALANCE (EXPORT - IMPORT) has been negative does not mean the EU is becoming a less important partner.

As i said, a partner can be very important even though you have a negative balance with them.

BeElBeeBub

To help, ONS time series in £,000's by year (Quarterly is just nosier) 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 14, 2023, 08:29:11 PM
Anyone that thinks we have full employment really does need some remedial arithmetic lessons

1,535,500 out of work and that's excl the 2.5 million shuffled off the unemployment figures for long term conditions
Maybe I should have said for those that want work its out there 
Quote from: papasmurf on June 14, 2023, 08:52:57 PM
Quite there is nothing like full employment due to 7.4 million on NHS waiting list, a significant number who cannot work, plus those with long Covid.
Those who cannot work are not included .I was refering to those who can 
Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 14, 2023, 09:01:09 PM
And of course to some the UK has 'full' home ownership . . . .

. . . . as long as no one counts all those renting, with mortgages or outright homeless etc
Never heard anyone say that 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 14, 2023, 09:05:04 PM
I saw the data, it doesn't suggest what you're saying.
It does, you can't even understand graphics.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 14, 2023, 07:08:05 PM
Are you incapable of looking for that data for yourself?
Just scroll down page at this link:-

Archive:United Kingdom-EU - international trade in goods statistics - Statistics Explained (europa.eu)

I saw the data, it doesn't suggest what you're saying. 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on June 14, 2023, 08:52:57 PM
Quite there is nothing like full employment due to 7.4 million on NHS waiting list, a significant number who cannot work, plus those with long Covid.
And of course to some the UK has 'full' home ownership . . . .

. . . . as long as no one counts all those renting, with mortgages or outright homeless etc

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 14, 2023, 08:29:11 PM
Anyone that thinks we have full employment really does need some remedial arithmetic lessons

1,535,500 out of work and that's excl the 2.5 million shuffled off the unemployment figures for long term conditions

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 14, 2023, 08:04:28 PM
Actually it doesn't matter jack shit . What matters is that we have left the EU . We basically have full employment and are bumping along during the years when it was always going to be difficult for some .

The big  problem is the government our unelected PM and the failure to curb migration ,the trade balance is way down the list of priorities to be addressed .

1,535,500 out of work and that's excl the 2.5 million shuffled off the unemployment figures for long term conditions

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 14, 2023, 07:09:01 PM
It is the balance that matters, again you have failed to read all of the link.
Actually it doesn't matter jack shit . What matters is that we have left the EU . We basically have full employment and are bumping along during the years when it was always going to be difficult for some .

The big  problem is the government our unelected PM and the failure to curb migration ,the trade balance is way down the list of priorities to be addressed .

Unlucky4Sum

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 14, 2023, 07:05:12 PM
If you don't read them yes. If you do read them you will see overall trade has increased.
It is the balance that matters, again you have failed to read all of the link.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 14, 2023, 07:01:33 PM
Cut the bull, what was the total import / exports with the EU in 2011?
Are you incapable of looking for that data for yourself?
Just scroll down page at this link:-

Archive:United Kingdom-EU - international trade in goods statistics - Statistics Explained (europa.eu)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 14, 2023, 06:22:11 PM
This latest set of stats does not paint a rosy picture.

UPTICK IN EXPORTS BUT TRADE WITH THE EU REMAINS WEAK (britishchambers.org.uk)
If you don't read them yes. If you do read them you will see overall trade has increased. 

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on June 14, 2023, 06:29:58 PM
Our TOTAL trade with the EU has continually grown (less global dips eg Pandemic)
Our EXPORTS to the EU have been roughly flat since the early 2010's.

Our reliance on EU trade is not as simple as % of exports, % of total trade etc.

Take my friend the carpenter
He ships felled trees to a local saw.mill
He buys milled wood from the saw.mill.
He sells wooden items to the public.

As he sells more items to the public the share of his trade is buying and selling with the sawmill has fallen

His exports to the saw.mill have been flat for a few years (he only has so much he can sell them) but his imports have increased, in part because he needs more milled wood to make his products he sells to the wider public.

Would you say the saw mill is of declining importance to him?

Would he be better off canceling his account with them so he no longer gets easy, next day ordering, a low rate on deliveries or preferred rates?
Cut the bull, what was the total import / exports with the EU in 2011?