Boris Johnson: stands down as Tory MP with immediate effect

Started by Streetwalker, June 09, 2023, 09:19:25 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 10, 2023, 01:52:58 PM
That would be that same Boris that for political benefit gave a known sexual abuser serious extra powers to pursue and intimidate victims

What next Ned, you'll be telling us how you love those Gary Glitter records?
Frankly any Tory MP supporting Boris will be tainted, come the General Election
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Barry on June 10, 2023, 12:06:45 PM
In your opinion which I have no respect for whatsoever.
Plus another overbearing comment , snide.

Boris was not a friend of Boris's. However, nor are 40% of the Tory MPs, who somehow got Rishi despite the members voting for a woman.
I wouldn't write Boris off just yet.
That would be that same Boris that for political benefit gave a known sexual abuser serious extra powers to pursue and intimidate victims 

What next Ned, you'll be telling us how you love those Gary Glitter records? 

Barry

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 09, 2023, 10:18:35 PM
Very much not.  What a shallow, snide false comment 
In your opinion which I have no respect for whatsoever.
Plus another overbearing comment , snide. 

Boris was not a friend of Boris's. However, nor are 40% of the Tory MPs, who somehow got Rishi despite the members voting for a woman.
I wouldn't write Boris off just yet.
† The end is nigh †

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on June 10, 2023, 10:20:43 AM
Not living up to your educated posting like your OP stated!!
I didn't post the OP, I can back every word of my first post in this thread

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on June 10, 2023, 08:01:37 AM
The "they are all as bad as each other" attitude is exactly what the bad MPs (Johnson etc) want you to say.

It gets them off the hook. It smears their bad behaviour onto others.

Are all MPs paragons of virtue and public service? nope.

But many are dedicated and able, regardless of their politics.

However, some are proper wrong 'uns.  It's inevitable in a system based on simple popularity that some arseholes will become MPs. Conmen and sociopaths are almost universally charming.
Exactly

I've met several MPs and they range from the just in it for themselves rogues through to some of the most decent people you'd ever meet.  Fortunately more of them were the latter. 

So so many MPs are people that have given up far far more lucrative careers out of politics to do what they honestly believe is the best thing for their country.  Sunak, Starmer, and Davey being examples.  

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on June 10, 2023, 08:22:52 AM
I was saving a bottle of 14 year old single malt whisky for a special occasion, Bojos resignation was that occasion.

And come back ?

It looks as though Boris wants to be PM again. It will be a long shot, but the Blond Moppet is a crafty bugger and has probably given the matter a lot of thought.

Two points caught my eye in his resignation statement.

One

"Sadly, as we saw in July last year, there are currently some Tory MPs who share that view. I am not alone in thinking that there is a witch-hunt under way, to take revenge for Brexit and ultimately to reverse the 2016 referendum result."

A lot of folk think that the government is back tracking on Brexit, probably because it is. So Johnson will pick up a lot of support there.

Two

"Our party needs urgently to recapture its sense of momentum and its belief in what this country can do.
We need to show how we are making the most of Brexit and we need in the next months to be setting out a pro-growth and pro-investment agenda. We need to cut business and personal taxes – and not just as pre-election gimmicks – rather than endlessly putting them up.
We must not be afraid to be a properly Conservative government.
Why have we so passively abandoned the prospect of a Free Trade Deal with the US? Why have we junked measures to help people into housing or to scrap EU directives or to promote animal welfare?"

Tax cuts and animal welfare ? That may not go down well in the Lizard Pappy, where failure is pretty much compulsory, but I reckon Boris is in with a chance
:)

Algerie Francais !

Nick

Not living up to your educated posting like your OP stated!!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ The two Topics Have Been Merged @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

I was saving a bottle of 14 year old single malt whisky for a special occasion, Bojos resignation was that occasion.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

BeElBeeBub

The "they are all as bad as each other" attitude is exactly what the bad MPs (Johnson etc) want you to say.

It gets them off the hook. It smears their bad behaviour onto others.

Are all MPs paragons of virtue and public service? nope.

But many are dedicated and able, regardless of their politics.

However, some are proper wrong 'uns.  It's inevitable in a system based on simple popularity that some arseholes will become MPs. Conmen and sociopaths are almost universally charming.

Borchester

Exactly.

All Lib Dem MPs are not only saints dedicated to the public good, but they are fully awre of what it is.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

There was a time when i respected my MP. 

i've posted on this site and others the details but the man who was my MP earned my respect by asking his constituents for their views on a particular subject and then, having been given the scientific evidence to prove he had been misled by party liners with an agenda, had first the common sense to ask others to explain the facts and then had the wherewithal to publicly state he had been misled and was now of the opposite mindset to what he was. 

in stark contrast the bitch we have now is a mendacious piece of shit
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Unlucky4Sum

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 09, 2023, 09:41:48 PM
He was a liar, a cheat, an incompetent, an enabler of sexual abuse, a user of public office for illicit personal gain and an all round disgusting stain on our democracy.  And now he's doing a flounce.
Much like most MP's then .

Unlucky4Sum

He was a liar, a cheat, an incompetent, an enabler of sexual abuse, a user of public office for illicit personal gain and an all round disgusting stain on our democracy.  And now he's doing a flounce.  

Time to open that vintage bottle and celebrate here