Nicola Sturgeon Arrested . . .

Started by HDQQ, June 11, 2023, 03:39:27 PM

« previous - next »

morayloon

Quote from: Nick on June 17, 2023, 01:10:12 PM
I don't want the SNP to fade away, I want you to get independence. In fact I think the whole U.K. should get a vote, you'd soon be independent lol

The difference is, you want independence to immediately hand it over to the EU, but you wouldn't get in, Spain and Belgium would block you at every turn.
And you have no evidence that that would happen.   

morayloon

Quote from: patman post on June 16, 2023, 01:11:05 PM
I guess we have to believe that you believe what you're posting, but just 2 hours ago this was posted:

SUPPORT for independence has risen since the end of March, according to a new poll.

A Savanta poll found that support for Yes rose by one point among decided voters, with 49% saying they would back the Yes campaign compared to 51% who would vote No.

The survey also found that the SNP's lead over Labour dropped from 21 points last year to four points.

The poll by Savanta for The Scotsman spoke to 1018 people between June 9 and 14 – which covers both before and after the arrest of former first minister Nicola Sturgeon.

According to the survey of voting intentions for the next Westminster election, 38% said they would back the SNP, 34% would vote Labour, 17% support the Tories, and 7% would back the Liberal Democrats.

In a poll by the same company last June, the SNP boasted 46% support compared to 25% for Labour.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23593403.scottish-independence-support-since-end-march-poll-finds/

There's not much to show Alba is causing a stir...

That quote only goes to prove what I am saying: despite a falling off of SNP support, the Independence cause is still very popular. 
Alba is a new party and is competing against an already entrenched party with broadly similar aims. 
It took the SNP 11 years to gain its first MP and another 22 years before it won a second. However, Alba exists because of the failure of the SNP to further the Independence cause. Thousands of people deserted the SNP and are now involved in pushing for Independence, not least by providing the proverbial kick up the arse to the SNP who now seem to be pushing FFA as a stepping stone to Independence rather than Independence itself - which is what around 50% of the population want.

Nick

Quote from: morayloon on June 17, 2023, 12:48:48 PM
The SNP will not fade away however much you want it to.
I don't want the SNP to fade away, I want you to get independence. In fact I think the whole U.K. should get a vote, you'd soon be independent lol

The difference is, you want independence to immediately hand it over to the EU, but you wouldn't get in, Spain and Belgium would block you at every turn. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

morayloon

Quote from: Nick on June 17, 2023, 08:02:12 AM
The support from voters doesn't matter if there isn't a party to vote for. If nobody donates then there will be no SNP.

The SNP will not fade away however much you want it to. 

morayloon

Quote from: Nick on June 17, 2023, 08:03:57 AM
Regardless of whether you get independence or not, you have no chance of joining the EU as I outlined previously.
There is absolutely no evidence to back your suggestions. 
Spain, for instance, did not stand in the way of Croatia or Slovenia joining the EU. Spain, however, does not recognise Kosovo because of the way it achieved Independence and so would be against any approaches by Kosovo to join the EU. 
As Scotland will become Independent through democratic means, the precedent of recognising, and accepting into the EU, Croatia and Slovenia is a more likely scenario than the Kosovo example.

Nick

Quote from: morayloon on June 16, 2023, 12:29:27 PM
Although SNP support has fallen, support for Independence is still at around the 50% mark: the latest poll had it at 52.5%.
You've got to be kidding!!! No self-respecting nationalist would even think about voting unionist.
Regardless of whether you get independence or not, you have no chance of joining the EU as I outlined previously. 

Nick

Quote from: morayloon on June 16, 2023, 11:51:02 AM
What makes you think it is the end of the road for the SNP? The party has lost support but, crucially is still in the lead. I firmly believe that, as the election draws nearer, the Independistas will return to the fold. Why would Independence supporting people vote for a Unionist?
I left the SNP two years ago and joined Alba because of the lack of movement on Independence. There is, however, no question on where my cross will go at the upcoming GE.

The support from voters doesn't matter if there isn't a party to vote for. If nobody donates then there will be no SNP. 

patman post

Although SNP support has fallen, support for Independence is still at around the 50% mark: the latest poll had it at 52.5%.
You've got to be kidding!!! No self-respecting nationalist would even think about voting unionist.
I guess we have to believe that you believe what you're posting, but just 2 hours ago this was posted:

SUPPORT for independence has risen since the end of March, according to a new poll.

A Savanta poll found that support for Yes rose by one point among decided voters, with 49% saying they would back the Yes campaign compared to 51% who would vote No.

The survey also found that the SNP's lead over Labour dropped from 21 points last year to four points.

The poll by Savanta for The Scotsman spoke to 1018 people between June 9 and 14 – which covers both before and after the arrest of former first minister Nicola Sturgeon.

According to the survey of voting intentions for the next Westminster election, 38% said they would back the SNP, 34% would vote Labour, 17% support the Tories, and 7% would back the Liberal Democrats.

In a poll by the same company last June, the SNP boasted 46% support compared to 25% for Labour.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23593403.scottish-independence-support-since-end-march-poll-finds/

There's not much to show Alba is causing a stir...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

They are Scots.

Their politics have little to do with self respect and more to do with outbreaks of self obsessed hysteria.
Algerie Francais !

morayloon

Quote from: Borchester on June 12, 2023, 03:07:06 PM
I can't see why not. And the independence vote has held firm for at least the last two months, so I can't see the Scots returning to their true loyalty any time. That is probably why we haven't seen Tommy for a bit. He probably heaved a sight of relief, stuck his head in a barrel of single malt and is currently drinking his way out.

Their "true loyalty"? Whatever their right - left wing views the SNP supporters have one thing in common - a belief in Independence.
The Tories are totally against a referendum  as are Labour and the Lib Dems so they'll be discounted by the vast majority of Independistas.

morayloon

Quote from: Nick on June 11, 2023, 07:17:14 PM
Now the independence question is crushed, the Scots are likely to vote for who is best for their Country, not sure they will choose Labour.

Borchester

Quote from: morayloon on June 16, 2023, 11:51:02 AM
What makes you think it is the end of the road for the SNP? The party has lost support but, crucially is still in the lead. I firmly believe that, as the election draws nearer, the Independistas will return to the fold. Why would Independence supporting people vote for a Unionist?
I left the SNP two years ago and joined Alba because of the lack of movement on Independence. There is, however, no question on where my cross will go at the upcoming GE.

True.

At the risk of repeating myself, you don't stop being a catholic because of Wee Krankie was a bad Pope. And anyway, that only applies to Celtic supporters
Algerie Francais !

morayloon

Quote from: Nick on June 11, 2023, 03:47:17 PM
This is going to be the end of the SNP, parties rely on donations and apparently their biggest donator is dead. Where's the cash going to come from now?

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on June 12, 2023, 12:48:33 PM
Possibly, but the support for independence has not changed in the last two months.

You do not stop being a Catholic because of a bad Pope
Scotland have got Zero chance of being accepted into the EU, even if they manage to become independent. 
There are many regions within the EU battling for independent status, none more so that the Catalans, Basks and the Flemish. All 27 countries must agree and there is not a hope in hell of Spain or Belgium giving them a slightest sniff of hope. 

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on June 12, 2023, 02:51:18 PM
No, but you can remain whatever type of Catholic you've got away with being all along — even to the point of disregarding some rules about not doing things that are intrinsically evil...

I can't see why not. And the independence vote has held firm for at least the last two months, so I can't see the Scots returning to their true loyalty any time. That is probably why we haven't seen Tommy for a bit. He probably heaved a sight of relief, stuck his head in a barrel of single malt and is currently drinking his way out.
Algerie Francais !