The Borage Party

Started by Nick, June 12, 2023, 06:56:46 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 15, 2023, 06:43:45 PM
The lie that we sent it to the EU every week (we never did)

And in Fibber Farage's versions it was actually higher as he claimed £55M a day.  But then Farage was always loose with the numbers, still some mugs believed them.
I think there was some confusion in the press reports  when he said what we send to the EU and what being in the EU costs us . Obviously two different amounts . The £55 million a day  was the estimate of what it costs the UK in actual costs and lost revenue ,the £350 a week we send was the amount before the rebate .We actually sent about £250M 

But we all knew that didnt we ? 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 15, 2023, 04:48:38 PM
What £350 M a week was that ?
The lie that we sent it to the EU every week (we never did) 

And in Fibber Farage's versions it was actually higher as he claimed £55M a day.  But then Farage was always loose with the numbers, still some mugs believed them.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 15, 2023, 06:29:02 PM
No problem , though I would have thought you would have read it seeing as you hate it so much .

https://manifesto.deryn.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/UKIPManifesto2015-1.pdf
Shame you didn't read it

'a lower cap on benefits'  

Hardly matches your 'was more than generous toward benefit claimants' boast does it.  

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 15, 2023, 06:29:02 PM
No problem , though I would have thought you would have read it seeing as you hate it so much .

https://manifesto.deryn.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/UKIPManifesto2015-1.pdf
I could not find the full manifesto. That link appears to show an edited version after the protests about aspects of the original.
No mention of banning tobacco from claimants, no mention of removing all equality legislation, the nasty comment about benefits as a lifestyle choice still included. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2023, 06:20:33 PM
Would care to provide a link to the full manifesto please.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 15, 2023, 06:16:56 PM
The UKIP (2015) manifesto was more than generous toward benefit claimants . I was quite impressed with it myself when we voted on it at Conference . What part are you on about ?
Would care to provide a link to the full manifesto please.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2023, 05:34:25 PM
The nasty attack on benefit claimants.
The UKIP (2015) manifesto was more than generous toward benefit claimants . I was quite impressed with it myself when we voted on it at Conference . What part are you on about ?

papasmurf

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2023, 03:56:29 PM
He is far right, and very nasty with it. (When he was a political party leader the manifesto was far right.)
What part of it ? 

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 15, 2023, 04:48:38 PM
Dunno, A million does not go far these days, but lefties are always counting their change.
Algerie Francais !

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: HDQQ on June 15, 2023, 04:14:17 PM
I think Johnson came across as having a flippant attitude to important issues, apart from covid and vaccination (for a while). But now it seems he even had a flippant attitude towards that.
I don't know that he was particularly far-right - he actually a bit leftish on the environment. But his cynical late conversion to the Brexit cause probably resulted in the win for 'leave'.
He seems to have a sense of entitlement, and as an Old Etonian with a loud voice and a big vocabulary, he managed to get a platform.

I always described Johnson as a champion boolsheeter, now that's clear to everyone, even those who still stand up for him.

On the matter of far-right - there's 'far-right' in terms of a democracy and there's extremist dictatorships like Nazi Germany. The same could be said of the left. Jeremy Corbyn was described as far-left but was a long way removed from Joseph Stalin.
I don't think Johnson is instinctively "far-right"
I think he is entitled and willing to do/say whatever he thinks will get him what he wants and not care about the repercussions.

That last point cuts across everything - he simply doesn't care about the potential consequences of his actions, he relies (with justification given his record) on his ability to weasel out of, or otherwise avoid any fall out from gratifying his desires.

He saw an opportunity to boost his career by supporting brexit. He never gave a thought to what the risks were.
Now there is an electoral base to be exploited by being "far right" and more importantly, he perceives that this base can proof him against the usual price of going against democratic norms.

I have no doubt that he wouldn't hesitate to seize power in a coup as long as he thought he could get away with it.

In these respects he is identical to Trump.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 15, 2023, 12:40:28 PM
The inventor of the £350M a week lie has 'always played it with a straight bat'?

Oh SW you do tell them

HDQQ

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2023, 04:18:29 PM
There are far right policies that Farage has and increasingly so does the Tory government.
Farage is the main person to blame for Brexit, with Johnson second. Oh, and Cameron third, for not completely ignoring Farage.

On wider topics, Farage is reactionary libertarian. I define "libertarian" as someone who believes they should be free to do whatever they want, including stopping other people from doing things they don't like them doing.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on June 15, 2023, 04:14:17 PM

On the matter of far-right - there's 'far-right' in terms of a democracy 
There are far right policies that Farage has and increasingly so does the Tory government.

HDQQ

I think Johnson came across as having a flippant attitude to important issues, apart from covid and vaccination (for a while). But now it seems he even had a flippant attitude towards that.
I don't know that he was particularly far-right - he actually a bit leftish on the environment. But his cynical late conversion to the Brexit cause probably resulted in the win for 'leave'.
He seems to have a sense of entitlement, and as an Old Etonian with a loud voice and a big vocabulary, he managed to get a platform.

I always described Johnson as a champion boolsheeter, now that's clear to everyone, even those who still stand up for him.

On the matter of far-right - there's 'far-right' in terms of a democracy and there's extremist dictatorships like Nazi Germany. The same could be said of the left. Jeremy Corbyn was described as far-left but was a long way removed from Joseph Stalin.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!