Main Menu

Well well

Started by Nick, June 13, 2023, 06:19:03 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on June 13, 2023, 11:34:00 AM
Such studies are interesting, but until they compare how many minutes on average pay have to be worked in each country to buy exactly similar foodstuffs, they're very much academic talking points. Anyone who's been shopping around Europe with their eyes open will notice that bread, coffee, pasta, etc, are all different.

A while ago I read a study of how many local Big Macs could be bought by an hour's average pay, and what number of Big Macs would equate in price to average shopping basket. Again academic but, I suggest, something easier to visualise...

Me and mine are not missing any meals so I don't give a toss how well off everyone else is. That said, I have played a modest part in compiling government statistic and they are mostly guesswork and always out of date.

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 13, 2023, 11:30:54 AM
Things have changed since then.

Cost of living insights - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)
Thats good , my policy during the cost of living crisis to eat less and drink more beer seems to be paying off ;)

patman post

Quote from: Nick on June 13, 2023, 06:19:03 AM
It transpires that food prices in the U.K. are lower than the rest of the EU, and by a large 7%. Perhaps this should be linked to the 'Still waiting for the benefits' thread.

Such studies are interesting, but until they compare how many minutes on average pay have to be worked in each country to buy exactly similar foodstuffs, they're very much academic talking points. Anyone who's been shopping around Europe with their eyes open will notice that bread, coffee, pasta, etc, are all different. 

A while ago I read a study of how many local Big Macs could be bought by an hour's average pay, and what number of Big Macs would equate in price to average shopping basket. Again academic but, I suggest, something easier to visualise...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 13, 2023, 11:07:00 AM
What was the date of that survey. (No link with your quote.)
It says March 2023

Makes you proud to be British . Union Flag Also explains why Italian barn eggs have been in the local shops of late 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 13, 2023, 06:19:03 AM
It transpires that food prices in the U.K. are lower than the rest of the EU, and by a large 7%. Perhaps this should be linked to the 'Still waiting for the benefits' thread.

What was the date of that survey. (No link with your quote.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Unlucky4Sum

How much cheaper were they in the UK before the Brexit started in 2015?   That's the difference to look at.

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.