Scottish independence: Is it still a priority for young Scots?

Started by BBC News , June 22, 2023, 01:00:13 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: morayloon on July 12, 2023, 05:21:48 AM
You can sneer at William Wallace all you want but he is a major player in Scottish history. Not only should Scottish youngsters have had more told about him but English youngsters should have too. His actions showed that England could not subjugate Scotland forever.
We are too busy teaching our kids about the effects and of colonisation ,slavery and windrush , we just dont have time to talk about Scottish rebbels 
Quote from: morayloon on July 12, 2023, 05:21:48 AMThe latest upsurge in Nationalism is slowly unravelling the Union. Ok, it has lasted 716 years but all bad things come to an end eventually.

Dont think so . Scottish nationalism peaks in the low 50% when the UK government passes bills that effect Scotland .It soon falls to the low 40% when things settle down . The last one I saw had NO with a 7% lead.  You will have to wait a few years and hope all the kids dont change their minds when they grow up .
Good luck though , as I often said to Thomas if I were a Scot I would be with you .

morayloon

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 11, 2023, 06:56:22 AM
So Independence is promoted then (Im not saying that is a bad thing ) Probably at the time following the UK curriculum , pretty much what we were doing  in our London comprehensives though I do recall a few weeks of Scotland stuff but that was more about monarchs (Mary/James 1)  .There was no ban on going to the library though LOL he took  a few poorly defended towns and 'won' one battle at Stirling bridge . Which was questionable as the bridge was said to have collapsed under the weight of the people on it bringing the days entertainment to an end . That bit was an attempt at humour ;)All history is important and looking at it from a world view is probably better and more balanced than getting bogged down on one countries or political sides  version of it .  History is not a subject that is taught generally in England anymore which is quite sad . I believe it is now an optional lesson .

As I have mentioned young people are easily persuaded ,that doesn't mean we dont teach them but in political matters its important not to indoctrinate which can happen when the teacher has strong views one way or the other . Give me a room of 20 sixteen  year olds and I would give you 15 right wing loonies  within a week .

Like it or not, the constitutional question is still driving Scottish politics. It is incumbent on the educational system to provide both sides of the story in an impartial way. That riles the Unionists because they think that learning about the country's history is a Nationalist plot to indoctrinate the young. History has always been taught as a UK subject with the inherent English bias that entails. That Scottish history was worth learning about was not considered.
When I went into 3rd year at secondary school (over 50 years ago), history was not a compulsory subject. There was a choice between it, Geography and Modern Studies.  
Scotland's education system is separate from England's. There is no UK education system. 
You can sneer at William Wallace all you want but he is a major player in Scottish history. Not only should Scottish youngsters have had more told about him but English youngsters should have too. His actions showed that England could not subjugate Scotland forever. 
The latest upsurge in Nationalism is slowly unravelling the Union. Ok, it has lasted 716 years but all bad things come to an end eventually.

Streetwalker

Quote from: morayloon on July 11, 2023, 01:18:54 AM
What complete nonsense.
The Scottish education system does not promote Independence. It gives a balanced view on the constitutional issue.
Making kids aware that the country they live in could be independent and could be as successful as the many similarly sized (in population terms), or even smaller, countries in the world is very important.
So Independence is promoted then (Im not saying that is a bad thing ) 
We didn't learn much Scottish history. Of the Wars of Independence period, I only remember the tale of Bruce and the spider. The truth was hidden from us. We learned about Magna Carta but nothing about the Declaration of Arbroath. We knew about 1066 but of the history of the late 13th/early 14th centuries, a very important time in Scottish history, we heard very little. Of 1820 we were told about Peterloo but nothing about the Radical rising in Scotland.
Probably at the time following the UK curriculum , pretty much what we were doing  in our London comprehensives though I do recall a few weeks of Scotland stuff but that was more about monarchs (Mary/James 1)   .There was no ban on going to the library though 

William Wallace was a real person who was captured because of traitorous Scots nobles. Braveheart was just a story but it was a story about the man who defeated the English but was later, after being taken captive, murdered by them.
LOL he took  a few poorly defended towns and 'won' one battle at Stirling bridge . Which was questionable as the bridge was said to have collapsed under the weight of the people on it bringing the days entertainment to an end . 

As for Australian actors playing Wallace, how many English actors have played the role of Macbeth? He was another historic Scottish figure, usually played by foreign actors and immortalised in the play written by an Englishman. You think nothing about that, yet you think that Mel Gibson as Wallace should be sneered at!
That bit was an attempt at humour ;)
To be taught your country's history is important, to have the history of a foreign country shoved down your throat is criminal.
The SNP, under Salmond, lowered the voting age in 2015. It was put into operation at the 2016 Holyrood election. However, the policy was tested out in the referendum. A high %age of 16 &17s voted, Giving the lie to the suggestion that youngsters are not interested in politics.

All history is important and looking at it from a world view is probably better and more balanced than getting bogged down on one countries or political sides  version of it .  History is not a subject that is taught generally in England anymore which is quite sad . I believe it is now an optional lesson .

As I have mentioned young people are easily persuaded ,that doesn't mean we dont teach them but in political matters its important not to indoctrinate which can happen when the teacher has strong views one way or the other . Give me a room of 20 sixteen  year olds and I would give you 15 right wing loonies  within a week .

morayloon

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 09, 2023, 07:13:39 AM
This would suggest the Scottish education system is promoting Independence and why Sturgeon wanted to lower the voting age to 16 .

As the Scots  grow up  and have to operate in the real world most of them realise independence won't be a fairy tale created by stories of 'Freedom' ,Australian actors  and Italian pretenders to the thrones of Ireland and Scotland .

Still nobody really cares but the schoolboy scots and good luck to them though I dont think having a Muslim leader quite fits the image of independence  forseen by  Robert Bruce
What complete nonsense. 
The Scottish education system does not promote Independence. It gives a balanced view on the constitutional issue. 
Making kids aware that the country they live in could be independent and could be as successful as the many similarly sized (in population terms), or even smaller, countries in the world is very important. This awareness is so different to what my, and older, generations had to put up with. We didn't learn much Scottish history. Of the Wars of Independence period, I only remember the tale of Bruce and the spider. The truth was hidden from us. We learned about Magna Carta but nothing about the Declaration of Arbroath. We knew about 1066 but of the history of the late 13th/early 14th centuries, a very important time in Scottish history, we heard very little. Of 1820 we were told about Peterloo but nothing about the Radical rising in Scotland. 
William Wallace was a real person who was captured because of traitorous Scots nobles. Braveheart was just a story but it was a story about the man who defeated the English but was later, after being taken captive, murdered by them. 
As for Australian actors playing Wallace, how many English actors have played the role of Macbeth? He was another historic Scottish figure, usually played by foreign actors and immortalised in the play written by an Englishman. You think nothing about that, yet you think that Mel Gibson as Wallace should be sneered at!
To be taught your country's history is important, to have the history of a foreign country shoved down your throat is criminal.
The SNP, under Salmond, lowered the voting age in 2015. It was put into operation at the 2016 Holyrood election. However, the policy was tested out in the referendum. A high %age of 16 &17s voted, Giving the lie to the suggestion that youngsters are not interested in politics.

morayloon

Quote from: Nick on July 10, 2023, 10:22:25 AM
You're really clutching at straws now. Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia broke up for totally different reasons, mainly due to the end of communist rule, differences in religious and ethnic leanings.

The Czechs and Slovaks decided to go their own way, peacefully. It doesn't matter how Yugoslavia fell apart, the Spanish did not prevent either Croatia or Slovenia, newly Independent states, from joining the EU. 

Nick

Quote from: morayloon on July 09, 2023, 10:36:25 PM
No evidence? You make a big statement without any backing for it? Must do better.
Let me give you a few examples: Croatia and Slovenia are both in the EU despite seceding from the old Yugoslavia, The Spanish obviously did not veto their entry.
Czechia and Slovakia were allowed to remain in the EU on the break up of Czechoslovakia. There was no Spanish push to have them removed because the break up would be seen as a precedent for the Catalans and Basques who are seeking the break up of the Spanish State.
You're really clutching at straws now. Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia broke up for totally different reasons, mainly due to the end of communist rule, differences in religious and ethnic leanings. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

morayloon

Quote from: Nick on July 09, 2023, 10:41:05 AM
There is no evidence. Show me the evidence that either God exists or God doesn't exist, there is no evidence of either, but one is true.
Spain is fighting battles with both the Catalan and Basque regions who want to be independent, same as Belgium. They are not going to let anything that gives them a sniff of a chance of independence happen, that includes a newly Independent Scotland join the EU. And it takes all 27 to agree.
No evidence? You make a big statement without any backing for it? Must do better.
Let me give you a few examples: Croatia and Slovenia are both in the EU despite seceding from the old Yugoslavia, The Spanish obviously did not veto their entry.
Czechia and Slovakia were allowed to remain in the EU on the break up of Czechoslovakia. There was no Spanish push to have them removed because the break up would be seen as a precedent for the Catalans and Basques who are seeking the break up of the Spanish State.

Nick

Quote from: morayloon on July 09, 2023, 05:46:20 AM
Where's your evidence?
There is no evidence. Show me the evidence that either God exists or God doesn't exist, there is no evidence of either, but one is true. 
Spain is fighting battles with both the Catalan and Basque regions who want to be independent, same as Belgium. They are not going to let anything that gives them a sniff of a chance of independence happen, that includes a newly Independent Scotland join the EU. And it takes all 27 to agree. 

patman post

Quote from: morayloon on July 09, 2023, 05:46:20 AM
Where's your evidence?
It's a reasonable assumption — Spain doesn't want Catalan independence, so it's unlikely to give the separatists more bargaining chips and vote to let an independent Scotland join the EU...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 09, 2023, 07:13:39 AM
This would suggest the Scottish education system is promoting Independence and why Sturgeon wanted to lower the voting age to 16 .

As the Scots  grow up  and have to operate in the real world most of them realise independence won't be a fairy tale created by stories of 'Freedom' ,Australian actors  and Italian pretenders to the thrones of Ireland and Scotland .

Still nobody really cares but the schoolboy scots and good luck to them though I dont think having a Muslim leader quite fits the image of independence  forseen by  Robert Bruce
I suspect that at the time, no Indian leader either expected or wanted an Emperor or Empress of India drawn from the British monarchy from 1876 to 1948, to signify Britain's sovereignty over the Indian Empire.

But the World turns, and changes happen...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

As the Scots  grow up  and have to operate in the real world most of them realise independence won't be a fairy tale created by stories of 'Freedom' ,Australian actors  and Italian pretenders to the thrones of Ireland and Scotland .

morayloon

Quote from: Nick on June 22, 2023, 04:50:36 PM
They can back it all they want, Spain will not let them join the EU.
Where's your evidence?

Nick

Quote from: BBC News  on June 22, 2023, 01:00:13 PM

Polls suggest Scots aged under 24 are more likely to back independence than the average person.

Source: Scottish independence: Is it still a priority for young Scots?
They can back it all they want, Spain will not let them join the EU. 

BBC News

Polls suggest Scots aged under 24 are more likely to back independence than the average person.

Source: Scottish independence: Is it still a priority for young Scots?