No to Rwanda

Started by Streetwalker, June 29, 2023, 12:02:45 PM

« previous - next »

Scott777

Sunak, just like Boris, is a globalist, so he has no intention of reducing immigration.  I can't see what the problem is with taking boats back to France, or if France refuse them, leave them in French waters.  The problem is between the French and the immigrants.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 29, 2023, 09:54:30 PM
It would be easier if the French  just ban the sale of them
The French have 2 agendas, one is get as many undesirables as possible on the other side of the Chanel, and the other is to piss the Brit's off as much as possible. 
This is a coordinated plan by the EU, punish the U.K. to put anyone else off from trying it. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 29, 2023, 07:59:06 PM
Time to start harpooning some rubber rafts i think.
It would be easier if the French  just ban the sale of them 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 29, 2023, 07:59:06 PM
No

Time for my South Georgia plan I'd say

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on June 29, 2023, 01:02:26 PM
Seems to me, it would be both less expensive for the UK if it moved its focus to helping make refugees' own regions more habitable and better for the refugees themselves — admittedly, neither easy nor quick. But the one size fits all approach of sending them all to Rwanda at £169,000 a time, doesn't appear to be either an attraction or a deterrent (or currently, legal).

The UK aid budget for 2022-2023 is reckoned to be £7.6 billion, rising to £8.1 billion in 2023-2024. Nearly 30% of that is being spent on looking after refugees who arrive in the UK claiming asylum.

Why not spend more, for example, with others, helping Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey assimilate Syrian refugees — they're already major recipients of refugees in the region. Other regions also have similar receiving nations...
Trouble is Posty is your suggestion can't happen without all of the western world agreeing to it and chipping in . On the contrary they (countries supplying refugees) have had to deal with protectionist trade blocs ,the plundering of their own recources and illegal wars . We reap what we sow I suppose .

But yes investing in the countries from where the refugees comes from seems the simple answer , a simpler one would have been to have left Saddam and the Colonel in place 

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 29, 2023, 12:02:45 PM
Court of Appeal judges rule government plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda is unlawful  | Daily Mail Online

Always did seem a bit of a long shot even if it was a popular one with the anti illegal immigration set . Not sure if it would have had the desired effect of halting the illegal entries but at least someone was thinking about the problem .

So whats next , if we can't deport them to Africa we will have to make dam sure they dont come here in the first place . I think the main thing is to speed up the process and send them back to where they came from
Seems to me, it would be both less expensive for the UK if it moved its focus to helping make refugees' own regions more habitable and better for the refugees themselves — admittedly, neither easy nor quick. But the one size fits all approach of sending them all to Rwanda at £169,000 a time, doesn't appear to be either an attraction or a deterrent (or currently, legal).

The UK aid budget for 2022-2023 is reckoned to be £7.6 billion, rising to £8.1 billion in 2023-2024. Nearly 30% of that is being spent on looking after refugees who arrive in the UK claiming asylum.

Why not spend more, for example, with others, helping Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey assimilate Syrian refugees — they're already major recipients of refugees in the region. Other regions also have similar receiving nations...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Unlucky4Sum

Here's the summary of the judgement, worth reading:  https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/AAA-v-SSHD-summary-290623.pdf

Here's the full judgement with the detail behind it https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/AAA-v-SSHD-judgment-290623.pdf but at 525 paragraphs will take a lot of reading

Unlucky4Sum

Right decision IMHO

Off shoring these illegals is fine in my book but Rwanda is not a safe country and was just a plain daft selection by a plain daft Patel 

Streetwalker

Court of Appeal judges rule government plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda is unlawful  | Daily Mail Online

Always did seem a bit of a long shot even if it was a popular one with the anti illegal immigration set . Not sure if it would have had the desired effect of halting the illegal entries but at least someone was thinking about the problem .

So whats next , if we can't deport them to Africa we will have to make dam sure they dont come here in the first place . I think the main thing is to speed up the process and send them back to where they came from