Main Menu

The NHS at 75 years old.

Started by papasmurf, July 05, 2023, 07:27:12 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 07, 2023, 07:48:55 AM
Frankly I don't know anyone who isn't stressed or depressed. However there is a vast difference between clinically depressed, (the number of suicides is testament to that,) and being depressed.

I know a couple of people who are depressed, but neither have ever really been the life and soul of any party. In my experience most folk tend to calm down as the years go by. None of us are getting any younger, so there is no point about making a fuss of matters and letting the side down.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 06, 2023, 11:41:10 PM
I am usually asked how I feel, to which I usually reply fine, thanks very much.

Sooner or later someone is going to reply, so what the hell are you doing here then ?
Frankly I don't know anyone who isn't stressed or depressed. However there is a vast difference between clinically depressed, (the number of suicides is testament to that,) and being depressed. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 06, 2023, 12:01:26 PM
I did get asked a stupid question during the comprehensive pre-operation medical check. "Are you stressed or depressed." I just laughed. Every time I go for medical checkups and tests, (around 4 times a year,) I get asked the same question.

I am usually asked how I feel, to which I usually reply fine, thanks very much.

Sooner or later someone is going to reply, so what the hell are you doing here then ?
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 06, 2023, 11:45:10 AM

Glad that you are on the mend
I did get asked a stupid question during the comprehensive pre-operation medical check. "Are you stressed or depressed." I just laughed. Every time I go for medical checkups and tests, (around 4 times a year,) I get asked the same question.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 06, 2023, 11:30:08 AM
John I had right eye cataract removed three years ago with no problems. This time it was the left eye. I have a comprehensive and detailed list of possible catarsetrophies and the percentages of risk. I also have the specific emergency phone number.
The surgeon was also Indian, the world experts on cataract removal. I can this morning see clearly even when wearing glasses. (I have as yet not bothered with the car number plate reading distance test as I was advised not to do so for at least three days.
Some years ago I had "pixelated" vision for six hours after being bitten by a spider, and a very large bruise around my right arm. I blame climate change for that.

Glad that you are on the mend
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 06, 2023, 11:12:35 AM
Watch out for sudden distortions and unexpected blind spots. Both mean the retina has detached and yiu need immediate emergency follow up surgery which is very, very successful if done as soon as the problem is seen, not so much if it is left.

took years in wales. Thats the difference between a labour and tory run nhs
John I had right eye cataract removed three years ago with no problems. This time it was the left eye. I have a comprehensive and detailed list of possible catarsetrophies and the percentages of risk. I also have the specific emergency phone number.
The surgeon was also Indian, the world experts on cataract removal. I can this morning see clearly even when wearing glasses. (I have as yet not bothered with the car number plate reading distance test as I was advised not to do so for at least three days.
Some years ago I had "pixelated" vision for six hours after being bitten by a spider, and a very large bruise around my right arm. I blame climate change for that.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on July 06, 2023, 07:44:12 AM
All is well so far. Vision clearing gradually.
Watch out for sudden distortions and unexpected blind spots. Both mean the retina has detached and yiu need immediate emergency follow up surgery which is very, very successful if done as soon as the problem is seen, not so much if it is left.

took years in wales. Thats the difference between a labour and tory run nhs
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 06, 2023, 06:12:08 AM
Hope you get sorted :)
All is well so far. Vision clearing gradually.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 06, 2023, 05:40:53 AM
Getting the roads ready for the tourists takes preference over half blind people going to a hospital appointment .  Speedy recovery Papa .
Most of the tourist drivers appear to need a guide dog. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 05, 2023, 07:27:12 PM
Yesterday with my wife doing the driving as I have been waiting for cataract surgery.  We suffered the traffic jams, road works and bad drivers both local and tourist to go the 34 miles to the "one stop" NHS cataract clinic 34 miles away. (Took 1.5 hours.)

VERY efficient service at the clinic. Skilled staff, thorough pre op medicals, the actual op took about 1/4 of an hour. Drive back was even worse. (Took two hours.)

I cannot fault the NHS but I can fault who ever planned so many road works at the same time.
Hope you get sorted :)
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 05, 2023, 07:27:12 PM
Yesterday with my wife doing the driving as I have been waiting for cataract surgery.  We suffered the traffic jams, road works and bad drivers both local and tourist to go the 34 miles to the "one stop" NHS cataract clinic 34 miles away. (Took 1.5 hours.)

VERY efficient service at the clinic. Skilled staff, thorough pre op medicals, the actual op took about 1/4 of an hour. Drive back was even worse. (Took two hours.)

I cannot fault the NHS but I can fault who ever planned so many road works at the same time.
Getting the roads ready for the tourists takes preference over half blind people going to a hospital appointment .  Speedy recovery Papa .

papasmurf