Cluster bombs

Started by Streetwalker, July 08, 2023, 08:47:23 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 09, 2023, 07:41:50 PM
The Russians are likely to surround key military by children, that's what they do.
If there are any children left in those areas.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 09, 2023, 07:39:36 PM
In Ukraine where the fighting is happening I suspect that it is nearly impossible to differentiate.
The Russians are likely to surround key military by children, that's what they do. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 09, 2023, 07:35:37 PM
I am assuming these will be used in combat areas and not used in civilian areas.
In Ukraine where the fighting is happening I suspect that it is nearly impossible to differentiate.

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 09, 2023, 02:23:14 PM
I would agee up to a point though the reason these weapons are banned by many countries is because they are indiscriminate which may involve killing civilians which seeing as you mentioned it might include schools .

I guess we will arrive at a point where we provide weapons that can reach military targets in and around  Moscow because the Russians are bombing Kiev . I think I would be happier with that than agreeing to the indiscriminate use of cluster bombs
I am assuming these will be used in combat areas and not used in civilian areas. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on July 09, 2023, 10:26:25 AM
Personally I think anything goes when you're dealing with someone who deliberately targets schools and the like.
I would agee up to a point though the reason these weapons are banned by many countries is because they are indiscriminate which may involve killing civilians which seeing as you mentioned it might include schools .

I guess we will arrive at a point where we provide weapons that can reach military targets in and around  Moscow because the Russians are bombing Kiev . I think I would be happier with that than agreeing to the indiscriminate use of cluster bombs 

Nick

Personally I think anything goes when you're dealing with someone who deliberately targets schools and the like. 

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 09, 2023, 08:59:26 AM
I was under the impression that Britain still had "runway denial" systems which are in effect cluster bombs.
It does however according to this appear to be a bit of a grey area:-
House of Commons - Defence - First Special Report (parliament.uk)
British entry into the Land Mines Treaty (which declares the HB-876 illegal), the JP233 — Low-Altitude Airfield Attack System — was withdrawn from service...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

I was under the impression that Britain still had "runway denial" systems which are in effect cluster bombs. 
It does however according to this appear to be a bit of a grey area:-
House of Commons - Defence - First Special Report (parliament.uk)

Streetwalker

Rishi Sunak says the UK discourages use of cluster bombs in Ukraine - BBC News

More than discourage the use of these banned weapons should the UK be making stronger protests 

Its not as if we along with many others are not giving Ukraine up to date weaponary the Americans are now supplying cluster bombs that are banned in almost every other country . The excuse that Russia use them isn't really good enough , Russia have been known to act in all sorts of illegal ways , does that mean we give the Ukraine the means to follow suit ?