The UK economy appears to be on the up

Started by Borchester, July 13, 2023, 01:03:19 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 13, 2023, 02:33:13 PM
I have tried them in the past, as much use as a chocolate spanner. The problem is it is only a small job. Drill three holes to attach new shower unit fit 90degree compression bend to the water supply, wire in the shower unit. change current 32 amp "trip" to a 40 amp one. (I have the new shower unit, 90 degree compression bend and the 40amp "trip" I doubt that will take any more than 1/2 an hour:-

You can't just change a breaker, you need to know what size T&E you have. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 13, 2023, 09:35:36 PM
Nothing to stop you doing the plumbing bit (I assume regulations are UK-wide) 
There is, the plumbing of the shower unit must be done by a certificated plumber, that has been legal requirement for a long time now. (If I did it myself that would void the guarantee on the shower unit.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 14, 2023, 06:56:26 AM

In truth you are more  likely to find a decent tradesman with a reccomendation down the pub where people actually know each other than from some  agency whos only reason to exist is to feed off tradesmen who cant find work  with registration fees .
Checkatrade was started with the best of intentions to weed out cowboy builders but has in effect as it has grown become a badge for them to hide behind .
I agree. I am having difficulty finding a certificated person to do the work I need doing because all the competent trust worthy people locally  are busy. It would take me about 1/2 an hour to do what is needed myself BUT that would void my house insurance.

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on July 13, 2023, 09:35:36 PM
Nothing to stop you doing the plumbing bit (I assume regulations are UK-wide) and get an electrician to do the electrical conversions and connections. You say the wiring is now up to spec and all bonding is in place, so all the electrical work you should need to be done is the updated MCB if your new shower has a higher rating.

When we wanted three quick changes, we plumbed in the replacement showers and said what we wanted on Checkatrade. Had three replies in 24 hrs, chose one and got each job done and certified in half a day. £100 each as far as I remember...
As you have mentioned it a couple of times now Posty I  would counter that 'Checkatrade' is nothing more than a yet another agency that feeds off tradespeople  and allows lets say not so well qualified people to rise up the ranks with little more than 'he was lovely man ' as a recommendation .
Going through checkatrade or others like Guild of master craftsmen  doesnt gaurentee anything  other than **certification has been checked , something any bonafied tradesman would be happy to do anyway . To my knowledge and from people I know tradesmen registering on checkatrade and simlar schemes are those who have been unable to find work within their given trade through the normal contacts and reccomendations that have served tradesmen well for hundreds of years . There is not even the guarentee that the person that has been 'checked' will be the one who turns up on your doorstep .

**The rise of such agencies coincided with the the importation of cheap labour from eastern Europe NVQ2 trade accreditation were given out like confetti with representatives from 'building schools' visiting sites and basically completeing the course (a box ticking excercise ) in a an hour or so  on the say so of the foreman on site as to the individuals suitability and competence levels .

In truth you are more  likely to find a decent tradesman with a reccomendation down the pub where people actually know each other than from some  agency whos only reason to exist is to feed off tradesmen who cant find work  with registration fees .
Checkatrade was started with the best of intentions to weed out cowboy builders but has in effect as it has grown become a badge for them to hide behind .

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 13, 2023, 03:22:29 PM
I am not certificated to do so. If I Destroy-It-Myself it would nullify my house insurance if there was a disaster.
I did fit the old shower unit myself before the regulations changed. At that time my home had  old fashioned fuses, and I could not legally  use the shower until a "trips" box was fitted. (That ended up costing £800 because the wiring for my home was not up to specifications, (Wiring too thin.)  and it lacked a large number of earth bondings. The electricians also found a potential disaster for which the original builders should have been neck-shot.
Nothing to stop you doing the plumbing bit (I assume regulations are UK-wide) and get an electrician to do the electrical conversions and connections. You say the wiring is now up to spec and all bonding is in place, so all the electrical work you should need to be done is the updated MCB if your new shower has a higher rating. 

When we wanted three quick changes, we plumbed in the replacement showers and said what we wanted on Checkatrade. Had three replies in 24 hrs, chose one and got each job done and certified in half a day. £100 each as far as I remember...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 13, 2023, 03:22:29 PM
I am not certificated to do so. If I Destroy-It-Myself it would nullify my house insurance if there was a disaster.
I did fit the old shower unit myself before the regulations changed. At that time my home had  old fashioned fuses, and I could not legally  use the shower until a "trips" box was fitted. (That ended up costing £800 because the wiring for my home was not up to specifications, (Wiring too thin.)  and it lacked a large number of earth bondings. The electricians also found a potential disaster for which the original builders should have been neck-shot.
Fair enough . 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 13, 2023, 03:12:46 PM
You seem to know your onions on this Pappa why are you not doing it yourself ?

I did fit the old shower unit myself before the regulations changed. At that time my home had  old fashioned fuses, and I could not legally  use the shower until a "trips" box was fitted. (That ended up costing £800 because the wiring for my home was not up to specifications, (Wiring too thin.)  and it lacked a large number of earth bondings. The electricians also found a potential disaster for which the original builders should have been neck-shot.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on July 13, 2023, 01:03:19 PM
The pound is climbing against both the dollar and the Euro and employment is such that I can't hire anyone to do sod all. So what is going on ? I am certainly not working any harder. In fact I am not working at all. So how have things gotten so good ?
Excuse me Borky I got sidetracked by the smurf and lost the gist of the thread .
Marvelous news if I say so myself ,all this doom and gloom crap was getting me down , even the fecking dog next door has stopped barking I think I will open a few stubbies to celebrate !

Streetwalker

I have tried them in the past, as much use as a chocolate spanner. The problem is it is only a small job. Drill three holes to attach new shower unit fit 90degree compression bend to the water supply, wire in the shower unit. change current 32 amp "trip" to a 40 amp one. (I have the new shower unit, 90 degree compression bend and the 40amp "trip" I doubt that will take any more than 1/2 an hour:-

You seem to know your onions on this Pappa why are you not doing it yourself ?

Borchester

I will ask my boy about that.His first degree was in electronics so a fuse box should hold no fears for him.

I am ok with most things between waist height and a foot above my head, but if I have to bend down I want Jan, the Polish Jack of everything
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on July 13, 2023, 02:01:14 PM
Checkatrade offers electrician and plumbers who cover Cornwall. There's also Yell. The going rate is about £250 a day which, I guess, is reasonable given the distances that might need to covered.

Local councils can also be a good source of names for local tradespeople...

Blimey, I was only paying £200 a day in London, although that might be why I can't get anyone anymore.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 13, 2023, 02:01:14 PM
Checkatrade offers electrician and plumbers who cover Cornwall. 
I have tried them in the past, as much use as a chocolate spanner. The problem is it is only a small job. Drill three holes to attach new shower unit fit 90degree compression bend to the water supply, wire in the shower unit. change current 32 amp "trip" to a 40 amp one. (I have the new shower unit, 90 degree compression bend and the 40amp "trip" I doubt that will take any more than 1/2 an hour:-

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 13, 2023, 01:40:08 PM
Getting a skilled person where I live has been like rocking horse poo and Unicorns for at least ten years. (Most of the local skilled tradespeople are either dead or retired.) Current I need a plumber/ electrician to fit a new shower unit and a 40 amp "trip."
As for the economy being on the up. UK economy 'listless' with little growth in four years - BBC News 
Checkatrade offers electrician and plumbers who cover Cornwall. There's also Yell. The going rate is about £250 a day which, I guess, is reasonable given the distances that might need to covered.

Local councils can also be a good source of names for local tradespeople...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 13, 2023, 01:03:19 PM
I can't hire anyone to do sod all. So what is going on ?
Getting a skilled person where I live has been like rocking horse poo and Unicorns for at least ten years. (Most of the local skilled tradespeople are either dead or retired.) Current I need a plumber/ electrician to fit a new shower unit and a 40 amp "trip."
As for the economy being on the up. UK economy 'listless' with little growth in four years - BBC News 

3 hours ago

The UK economy has barely grown since 2019 before the pandemic, with one economist describing it as "listless".
It shrank by 0.1% in May, partly due to the extra bank holiday for the King's Coronation, which meant there was one fewer working day than normal.
The rising cost of living and higher interest rates have been squeezing households and businesses.
When an economy shrinks, people might lose their jobs and find it harder to get pay rises that keep up with prices.

Borchester

The pound is climbing against both the dollar and the Euro and employment is such that I can't hire anyone to do sod all. So what is going on ? I am certainly not working any harder. In fact I am not working at all. So how have things gotten so good ?
Algerie Francais !