The UK economy appears to be on the up

Started by Borchester, July 13, 2023, 01:03:19 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on July 15, 2023, 09:15:31 AM
You should be able to get a main cutout switch (sometimes called a KMF switch) fitted to the taiow between your meter and your consumer unit. It's worth getting it done when you have any work done on your meter eg swapping.

I'm not sure what the position is on electricians cutting into your tails to add this switch live. But I'm pretty sure the regs now insist on a cutout if the tails are longer than 3m
As a Smart meter will be fitted over my dead body, the situation does not arise.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on July 15, 2023, 07:57:30 AM
The main isolator, which in my case and every other property on the estate I live on has an external box with the mains switch and meter in it,) is owned by the electricity supplier has a wire seal on it and can only be removed  an EDF employee. (When I had a full electrical inspection a few years ago before that could start, the people doing the inspection had to wait until EDF arrived to break the seal, and switch off the electricity.)
You should be able to get a main cutout switch (sometimes called a KMF switch) fitted to the taiow between your meter and your consumer unit. It's worth getting it done when you have any work done on your meter eg swapping.

I'm not sure what the position is on electricians cutting into your tails to add this switch live. But I'm pretty sure the regs now insist on a cutout if the tails are longer than 3m

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2023, 10:28:31 PM
My house is circa 1890's and I have one, odd!! That tends to be what the fire service rely on to isolate a house if there is a fire.
I assume if you have a new 50/50 dizi board that will have a double pole / double throw 100 amp main isolator on it, so you could always use that to isolate?
The main isolator, which in my case and every other property on the estate I live on has an external box with the mains switch and meter in it,) is owned by the electricity supplier has a wire seal on it and can only be removed  an EDF employee. (When I had a full electrical inspection a few years ago before that could start, the people doing the inspection had to wait until EDF arrived to break the seal, and switch off the electricity.)

Nick

Quote from: Barry on July 14, 2023, 10:22:40 PMNo, there is not, I would have to pay to have one fitted. In more modern builds I suppose they are standard.
My house is circa 1890's and I have one, odd!! That tends to be what the fire service rely on to isolate a house if there is a fire.
I assume if you have a new 50/50 dizi board that will have a double pole / double throw 100 amp main isolator on it, so you could always use that to isolate?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2023, 10:11:55 PM
That cant be right Barry, there must be a double pole switch before the meter on the SWA cable.
No, there is not, I would have to pay to have one fitted. In more modern builds I suppose they are standard.

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2023, 10:11:55 PM
 I'm just telling Smurf that has assertion that it is unlawful to fit your own power shower is complete crap, 
And that is true. Any competent person can do it. Perhaps PS is not such a person. He might not be able to reach.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 14, 2023, 07:09:29 PMQuite. But of course Nick knows everything.
I've got a 17th Edition certificate, have you? That was 3 days I will never get back.

Nick

Quote from: Barry on July 14, 2023, 06:31:15 PMbut I wouldn't advise anyone to work on a distribution board, because it cannot be fully isolated without cutting off the lead tag on the main fuse, which belongs to the electricity supplie
That cant be right Barry, there must be a double pole switch before the meter on the SWA cable. I am not recommending anyone work on the dizi board, I'm just telling Smurf that has assertion that it is unlawful to fit your own power shower is complete crap, but as usual he will go all round the houses rather than accept he is wrong. As usual he reads something on the internet and tries passing it off as his own knowledge, like the part P annotation for a plumber: which is only there for them to stick a fused spur next to a boiler for example, and not start installing 10mm T&E into a dizi board.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 14, 2023, 06:31:15 PM
 I wouldn't advise anyone to work on a distribution board, because it cannot be fully isolated without cutting off the lead tag on the main fuse, which belongs to the electricity supplier.
Quite. But of course Nick knows everything. Personally I am not even going to try changing the current 32 amp trip to the require 40 amp one, because they trips are not of the plug in type they are wired. 

Barry

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2023, 01:03:59 PM
Fitting a new power shower is a doddle, and as I said the only pitfall is having a breaker that is rated higher than the cable, the cable then becomes the fuse. But Smurf has already said the cable is rated high enough, even though he knows sod all about it, otherwise he's so the job himself.
Shortly after moving here I had an electrician come to fit a new distribution board as the old one was buzzing when the shower was in use. The old fuse holder on the old board had burnt, somewhat, and the electrician could not find the 6mm cable to the shower. He did find 1.5mm lighting cable which had overheated and melted in the loft. Now that was a trifle risky! (Photo show fuse box and melting cable)

Our shower runs at about 4.3kW on low and 8.5kW on high. The electrician fitted 10mm cable to the switch and 6mm cable from switch to shower. The cable has a 32 Amp trip fuse.

Technically, it should have a 40A fuse, but to have that would need 10mm cable from switch to shower. The shower musty draw 37A on full power at 230v but the 32A trip switch does not cut it off. 

I rewired our first house in 1975 and had it checked and certificated by an electrician, so I am a "competent person", but I wouldn't advise anyone to work on a distribution board, because it cannot be fully isolated without cutting off the lead tag on the main fuse, which belongs to the electricity supplier.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2023, 02:04:44 PM
OMFG 🤬. I told you you need to check the wiring, but you said it was ok, which was nonsense as you need to know how the cable is installed: whether it is in conduit or clipped, which can give you different ratings.
Nick, as far as I am aware it is OK but the regulations have change twice since then. That is why the electrician/plumber is checking on Monday. (I am not crawling about it the loft this soon after surgery. ) There is very thick shielded wiring from the trips box to the shower. Looks as if is rated 53 amps for shower wiring. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 14, 2023, 01:59:37 PM
Nick you do need certification for replacement shower because compliance regulations changed in 2005 and 2013. Plus a 40 amp trip needs different specification wiring  to a 32 AMP trip. Plus when it comes to selling a home no certification and that is lot of problems.
I would also point out every weekend and especially bank holiday weekends hospital A&E departments fill up with Destroy-It-Yourselfers.

Some years ago I won an industrial tribunal because my then employer asked me to sign off compliance certificates, which I was not certificated to do. (I had the correct knowledge and experience to sign it off but NOT the certification.)
OMFG 🤬. I told you you need to check the wiring, but you said it was ok, which was nonsense as you need to know how the cable is installed: whether it is in conduit or clipped, which can give you different ratings. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2023, 01:31:47 PM
I haven't given you any advice, I've just told you you are talking bollocks, that is nothing new. You don't need certification for an electric shower.

Another thread all about you!!
Nick you do need certification for replacement shower because compliance regulations changed in 2005 and 2013. Plus a 40 amp trip needs different specification wiring  to a 32 AMP trip. Plus when it comes to selling a home no certification and that is lot of problems.
I would also point out every weekend and especially bank holiday weekends hospital A&E departments fill up with Destroy-It-Yourselfers.

Some years ago I won an industrial tribunal because my then employer asked me to sign off compliance certificates, which I was not certificated to do. (I had the correct knowledge and experience to sign it off but NOT the certification.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 14, 2023, 01:10:36 PM
Nick any idiot can fit one, complying with the regulations and being safe requires a "competent person."
It needs to be compliance certification.
I did fit one in the past before the regulations came in, (I could not use the shower until the electrical system was upgraded from fuses to trips.)

People like you annoy me, your "advice" could get people injured or killed. Frankly you are a menace.

Electrical installation regulations: don't get left with unregistered electrical work (which.co.uk)
I haven't given you any advice, I've just told you you are talking bollocks, that is nothing new. You don't need certification for an electric shower. 

Another thread all about you!!

papasmurf

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2023, 01:03:59 PM
Fitting a new power shower is a doddle, and as I said the only pitfall is having a breaker that is rated higher than the cable, the cable then becomes the fuse. But Smurf has already said the cable is rated high enough, even though he knows sod all about it, otherwise he's so the job himself.
Nick any idiot can fit one, complying with the regulations and being safe requires a "competent person."
It needs to be compliance certification.
I did fit one in the past before the regulations came in, (I could not use the shower until the electrical system was upgraded from fuses to trips.)

People like you annoy me, your "advice" could get people injured or killed. Frankly you are a menace.

Electrical installation regulations: don't get left with unregistered electrical work (which.co.uk)