SNP plans to ban sale of homes with gas boilers

Started by Borchester, July 24, 2023, 02:48:51 PM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

Quote from: Borchester on July 24, 2023, 02:48:51 PM
am glad we sold our properties in Edinburgh because I am buggered if I can see how we would have installed a heat pump in Albert Street or Easter Road. Still, I imagine that Humza Yousaf and the SNP have thought that through :)

archive.is/6TwEB#selection-2847.4-2847.54
The SNP is in meltdown as things are. People in Scotland with gas boilers would include many SNP voters. These people might be put off voting SNP if that risks their house becoming unsaleable.

Because of the pricing structure, there's not much incentive to have electric heating currently. But as we move to a mostly renewable energy supply, electric heating is the way to go. Gas prices will inevitably go up and up in the long term as gas reserves dwindle, and electric heating could become the cheaper option. New gas boilers are now 'hydrogen ready' but if you have to use lots of electricity to create the hydrogen, why not use it directly to heat houses instead.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 25, 2023, 07:01:54 AM
They are already banning the construction of new homes with a gas boiler and the reason is they have alliwed a green party T@@@ to become energy minister

you may think he is not banning the sale of a home with a gas boiler and feel free to shout that as loud as you like but his words quoted by several newspapers including scottish ones not kniwn for being a fan of Nigel Farage suggest itherwise to me.
E&W has been on track to banning gas connections in 2025. Given global events only an absolute numpty would think continuing to use gas as the primary domestic heat source is a good idea.

The price of gas is and will continue to be volatile.

We have now passed the tech point where burning gas in a power station and using heatpumps is more efficient than burning it in the home.

New homes are trivial to build with low flow temp heating systems. At this point it coss less to run a heatpump than a gas boiler.

Heatpumps are indifferent to the primary fuel. They don't care if the electricity comes from gas, coal, nuclear, wind, solar, wave, cow farts or whatever. Whereas a gas boiler needs gas.

And for the hard of thinking, they haven't banned the sale of homes with gas boilers, they are redoing the ratings to reflect reality. Some properties might drop out of C.

They are proposing to ban the sale of sub C properties, which I have to say I think is a bit heavy handed, I'd use a reduction in stampduty or CGT for C+ properties. More carrot than stick.

Personally I'd do a rebate on stamp duty for C+ houses.

johnofgwent

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on July 24, 2023, 04:29:10 PM
I'll reiterate, Scotland is not planning on banning sales of homes with gas boilers.

If you're ranting about how stupid it is you are shouting at clouds. You may as well protest against Scotland's plan to mandate wearing top hats made.of chocolate on alternate Fridays.
They are already banning the construction of new homes with a gas boiler and the reason is they have alliwed a green party T@@@ to become energy minister

you may think he is not banning the sale of a home with a gas boiler and feel free to shout that as loud as you like but his words quoted by several newspapers including scottish ones not kniwn for being a fan of Nigel Farage suggest itherwise to me.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

BeElBeeBub

I'll reiterate, Scotland is not planning on banning sales of homes with gas boilers.

If you're ranting about how stupid it is you are shouting at clouds. You may as well protest against Scotland's plan to mandate wearing top hats made.of chocolate on alternate Fridays.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on July 24, 2023, 03:59:07 PM
GSHP's are OK if you're in the right area: where I live the water course is literally 1 meter down so the transfer of heat will be a lot more efficient that for a lot of people.
If Scotland go ahead with this madness, they'll crash their economy even more.
GSHP are expensive to install and have obvious limitations in urban areas.

Air source heatpumps are easier (in general) and cheaper.

The current state of the art can achieve better than 2.5 performance at 55C (sufficient for most house heating systems with only mild upgrades) down to 0C.

If you can get your flow temps down to 45C (again not difficult) you can get 2.5.down to -15C

The significance of the 2.5 figure is that is the point where it is more efficient to burn the gas in a power station and use aheatpump than it is to burn gas in a domestic boiler.

Of you can get the flow temperature down to 35C, which is easy to do in a new build, just use underfloor heating, you can hit 3.5 performance down to -2C (most heating days). 

At that point it becomes cheaper to use a heatpump than a gas boiler (at current gas and electric price ratios)

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 24, 2023, 03:40:23 PM
Heat pumps as they are are rubbish compared to gas boilers . If this goes through (its all maybe at the moment ) the Scots will stop selling and buying houses . Who is going to buy a house that you freeze to death in at the first sign of winter ?
GSHP's are OK if you're in the right area: where I live the water course is literally 1 meter down so the transfer of heat will be a lot more efficient that for a lot of people.
If Scotland go ahead with this madness, they'll crash their economy even more.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

BeElBeeBub

Put down your pitchforks, extinguish your torches. 

This is a misleading thread title from a bullshit story.

The proposal is to ban the sale of homes which are less than a C on the EPC.

(I should add that similar proposals on rental bans have been proposed for E&W and also suggested for home sales)

There is also going to be an overhaul of the EPC rules to reflect changes since they were brought in. One of the effects of this is that gas boilers will no longer score as highly and heatpumps will get better scores. This reflects the reality of changes in technology and energy generation over the last decade.

(For example EPCs assume an electrical grid with a CO2/kWh based on the lat 00's which is about 3 to 4x higher than now. It also assumes Heatpump efficiencies based on old tech, which was well below 2. Latest generation pumps can achieve greater than 2.5 in most installations. For new properties, designed for Heat pumps efficiencies over 3.5 are very possible at which point they become cheaper than gas boiler to run)

As a result of this some homes may be downgraded and one of the ways they can regain the C rating may be a heatpump

That is a way away from "banning sales of homes with gas boilers"

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on July 24, 2023, 02:48:51 PM
am glad we sold our properties in Edinburgh because I am buggered if I can see how we would have installed a heat pump in Albert Street or Easter Road. Still, I imagine that Humza Yousaf and the SNP have thought that through :)

Heat pumps as they are are rubbish compared to gas boilers . If this goes through (its all maybe at the moment ) the Scots will stop selling and buying houses . Who is going to buy a house that you freeze to death in at the first sign of winter ?

Borchester

Algerie Francais !