Are more people working from home ?

Started by Borchester, August 11, 2023, 07:28:30 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 13, 2023, 08:33:44 AM
The price of coastal property has got ridiculous. That is why locals where I live can't get a home or even rent one. My 2 bed semi detached bungalow judging by ones recently sold is current "worth", £260000-£300000. Local rents are in the £800-£1200 a month range. (Another outbreak of "no fault," evictions locally as well, a man who over time purchased what had been council housing to rent out is selling the lot.)

The price of all property has gotten ridiculous. My pokey two and a half bedroom maisonette is now at three quarters of a million pounds, which is a bit more than the thirty thousand we paid for it. And amazingly enough, there are folk willing to pay that sort of price. Still, that is show business.

Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 12, 2023, 09:25:52 PM
Probably in the hope of not bumping into anyone .

As you know her indoors is looking to move down or up the coast when we retire . I told her all this WFH malarky has pushed the prices up of coastal living and we wouldnt have been a lot worse off had we done it a couple of years ago .

Well, you may be right, but is that wise ? The womenfolk  get a bit tetchy when that happens

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 12, 2023, 09:25:52 PM

As you know her indoors is looking to move down or up the coast when we retire . I told her all this WFH malarky has pushed the prices up of coastal living and we wouldnt have been a lot worse off had we done it a couple of years ago .
The price of coastal property has got ridiculous. That is why locals where I live can't get a home or even rent one. My 2 bed semi detached bungalow judging by ones recently sold is current "worth", £260000-£300000. Local rents are in the £800-£1200 a month range. (Another outbreak of "no fault," evictions locally as well, a man who over time purchased what had been council housing to rent out is selling the lot.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on August 12, 2023, 04:36:28 PM
Apparently she works from home most of the week and shows her face at the office on Monday and Friday.

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 12, 2023, 05:28:20 AM
From what I can gather from Mrs SW lots of people do . She works for a private company within the council offices and suprise suprise a good number of the council workers either work from home or work a hybrid week of two or three day a week in the office and two or three at home .  Her company doesn't have WFH in general though Im told she has a few disabled people on the phones (customer service)  who do .
Given the choice I suppose Friday is one day everyone has off , makes it a nice long weekend .

Maybe get the bus on Wendesday Borky and report back , I reckon the numbers of workers on the bus would be up

That will probably be the case SW. I will admit that it was not a particularly scientific observation. That said, I have just had a chat with a neighbour who was moaning that she had to go into work. I said that I was not aware that she had a job. Apparently she works from home most of the week and shows her face at the office on Monday and Friday.

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on August 11, 2023, 07:28:30 PM
I got on the bus today and it was half empty. A few mums and the usual allowance of geriatrics flashing their Freedom Passes, but other than that not so many passengers. It was Friday and at 6 pm so you would have thought the bus would have been full of POETS but it wasn't.

I have noticed that a lot recently. So has this homeworking lark caught on or is it just coincidence ?
From what I can gather from Mrs SW lots of people do . She works for a private company within the council offices and suprise suprise a good number of the council workers either work from home or work a hybrid week of two or three day a week in the office and two or three at home .  Her company doesn't have WFH in general though Im told she has a few disabled people on the phones (customer service)  who do . 
Given the choice I suppose Friday is one day everyone has off , makes it a nice long weekend .

Maybe get the bus on Wendesday Borky and report back , I reckon the numbers of workers on the bus would be up 

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 11, 2023, 08:03:10 PM
I avoid buses, we have low emission buses but not low emission passengers.

I am rather proud of being something of a high emission zone, which is in turn a result of my largely vegetarian diet. Still, that might explain why the buses empty when I get on. :)

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 11, 2023, 07:44:28 PM
Could be, although I have noticed this over several months
I avoid buses, we have low emission buses but not low emission passengers.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 11, 2023, 07:33:04 PM
Holiday season.
Could be, although I have noticed this over several months

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 11, 2023, 07:28:30 PM
I got on the bus today and it was half empty. A few mums and the usual allowance of geriatrics flashing their Freedom Passes, but other than that not so many passengers. It was Friday and at 6 pm so you would have thought the bus would have been full of POETS but it wasn't.

I have noticed that a lot recently. So has this homeworking lark caught on or is it just coincidence ?
Holiday season.

Borchester

Algerie Francais !