Garlic and blood pressure

Started by Borchester, August 14, 2023, 08:30:40 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 16, 2023, 07:17:05 AM
That reminds me Garlic is very good for fish health

I have always given my Koi a Garlic infused food leading up to the winter hibernation . The Allicin in the garlic has strong antibacterial properties that stay in the gut and protect the fish from a  raft of infections that can develop especially in the spring as they start to feed again .

It does make kissing them unpleasant though ;)
Who are you, Rex Hunt? 😆 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

That reminds me Garlic is very good for fish health 

I have always given my Koi a Garlic infused food leading up to the winter hibernation . The Allicin in the garlic has strong antibacterial properties that stay in the gut and protect the fish from a  raft of infections that can develop especially in the spring as they start to feed again .

It does make kissing them unpleasant though ;)

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on August 15, 2023, 07:01:27 AM
There is no peer reviewed evidence to back up that garlic reduces blood pressure, however, I have been taking a 1200mg garlic table every day for years now and my BP is 130/70 this morning.
You didn't look very hard then.

But to be fair, medical biochemistry was my original day job

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26764326/

The above is a peer reviewed published review of more than 20 published papers reporting a drop in systolic and diastolic blood pressure as a result of the presence of garlic in tbe diet.

The overall findings suggest the drop is not large, but it is measurable.

The link was the second on tbe page returned by safari to a three word search 'garlic blood pressure'

the top link was a paid fir advert that opened a page to a supplement seller that could not be returned from. I do so fucking hate such crap. But not quite as much as statements not backed up with links naking ckaims so easily deraimed by pubmed nih scientific papers.....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on August 15, 2023, 10:02:02 AM

I am not sure what I meant either, but Madam reckons that garlic is a good idea and I am certain that terminal earache :)isn't, so I roll with the punch

Well  it keeps the frogs away from the horses so I guess she is right 

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 15, 2023, 07:35:57 AM
There is none that says it raises it either . Not sure what Borky means when he says garlic is good for blood pressure . If it does indeed lower it its not a lot of good to someone with low blood pressure ,you would be better off drinking lots of beer :)

I am not sure what I meant either, but Madam reckons that garlic is a good idea and I am certain that terminal earache :)isn't, so I roll with the punch

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 15, 2023, 07:01:27 AM
There is no peer reviewed evidence to back up that garlic reduces blood pressure, however, I have been taking a 1200mg garlic table every day for years now and my BP is 130/70 this morning.
There is none that says it raises it either . Not sure what Borky means when he says garlic is good for blood pressure . If it does indeed lower it its not a lot of good to someone with low blood pressure ,you would be better off drinking lots of beer :)

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 14, 2023, 08:30:40 PM
I planted a lot of garlic last autumn because, to be hone:)st, there was not a lot I could plant. But apparently the stuff is good for blood pressure, so Herself encouraged me to cultivate it and in the next couple of months I expect to lift 98 bulbs of  Mersley Wight, Picady, Elephant, Caulk Wight, Provence Wight and  Solent garlic.

My GP checked my blood pressure a couple of days ago and was well pleased, but there was no suggestion of a kiss from any of the nurses. :)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

I planted a lot of garlic last autumn because, to be hone:)st, there was not a lot I could plant. But apparently the stuff is good for blood pressure, so Herself encouraged me to cultivate it and in the next couple of months I expect to lift 98 bulbs of  Mersley Wight, Picady, Elephant, Caulk Wight, Provence Wight and  Solent garlic.

My GP checked my blood pressure a couple of days ago and was well pleased, but there was no suggestion of a kiss from any of the nurses. :)
Algerie Francais !