GE 2024

Started by Nick, September 01, 2023, 06:31:35 AM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on July 05, 2024, 09:14:15 AM
I'm personally pondering to move to Clacton.

Union Flag

You can't barrage the Farage.
Go for it, be interested to hear how Farage works for his constituency.

papasmurf

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on July 05, 2024, 09:14:15 AM

Union Flag

Levelling Up In Practice: Clacton Interim Report - Report - Onward (ukonward.com)

• High deprivation pockets: Clacton ranks among the top 1% of most deprived neighbourhoods, and nearby Jaywick Sands is the most deprived neighbourhood in England. The town also sees very low economic activity – of around 51%, compared to an English average of 80%.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HallowedBrexit

Union Flag

BeElBeeBub

I predict the people of Clacton will not see their new MP for the next 5 years unless he can use their problem as a publicity tool.

Their new MP won't do anything to help them or make things better and will spend his time making irrelevant speeches in parliament for tiktok clips.

BeElBeeBub

The results do show how utterly shit the FPTP system is.

The Lib Dems get 68 seats with 3.4m votes
Reform 4 with just under 4m
Same as the Greens (2m), SNP(200k), DUP(150k)

Much as I dislike Reform, that does seem inequitable.

Our democracy would be better served by a more proportional system.

On pure proportion (also not great)
Lab 221
Con 156
Ref 93
LD 78
GN 45

This would stuff regional parties like PC or SNP and effectively kill independents and locals 

cromwell

Democracy loses the election on an ever decreasing turnout.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Lee Anderson gives Reform its first MP of the evening. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Also, going purely of exit polls it looks like the turnout is about 51%, down 17% from 2019. As someone has said, this is a loveless victory for Starmer, circa 410 seats and their vote is potentially down. Come on Reform. 

Nick

Where are our Scottish contingent when we need them? 😝 

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on July 03, 2024, 08:17:04 AM
Has anyone seen any canvassers? (No sign at all of any where I live.)
Someone did appear on my Cctv briefly pushing leaflets through the door.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Has anyone seen any canvassers? (No sign at all of any where I live.)

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on June 30, 2024, 02:48:10 PM
Of course, but my point is that it's an obvious inevitability that Starmer is going to win this election. You seem to hint that he's going to make things better at the DWP but I've seen absolutely no indication that's true

No hint at all from me. Other than lies and propaganda about welfare benefits during the campaign from all sides, I have seen zero positive about welfare from any party.  However IF Starmer does zero about sorting the DWP out if he becomes Prime Ministers he will get a revolt from a significant number of his MPs, plus a massive protest.

Borg Refinery

Of course, but my point is that it's an obvious inevitability that Starmer is going to win this election. You seem to hint that he's going to make things better at the DWP but I've seen absolutely no indication that's true

I mean, at one point recently, some in Labour were saying they'd even include Nigel Farage in the party if he wanted it - others in Labour had to try and play that down - and Natalie Elphicke recently joined as did Dan Poulter, while they've purged the left. That Wes Streeting even happily talked of privatising the NHS a couple of years ago.

I find it very depressing to be honest, but I suppose I no longer live in the UK, so there is nothing I can do about it. I am absolutely not going to vote as an ex-pat for Labour given their support for the genocide in Gaza.

It's no wonder Labour's polling is actually going right down given all of that, IMHO
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on June 30, 2024, 02:36:29 PM
Pretty terrible to see a terminally ill man found 'fit for work'
That, despite assurances from the DWP still happens and far too often.

Borg Refinery

Pretty terrible to see a terminally ill man found 'fit for work'

+++