UK likely to rejoin EU's Horizon science research scheme as full member.

Started by HDQQ, September 06, 2023, 10:48:49 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 10, 2023, 09:21:49 AM
Nick it has been a near daily news item for months now and I already provide a link which you did not read. New build social housing being allocated to immigrants.

Then there is this:- Mayor announces funding for up to 600 new homes for Ukrainian and Afghan refugees on anniversary of Russian invasion of Ukraine | London City Hall

A
nd this from forum members favourite comic:-

Villagers' anger as council buys 12 homes for Afghan and Ukrainian refugees on posh newbuild estate where properties sell for more than £700,000 while locals languish on waiting list | Daily Mail Online
They are being provided to refugees, whose countries are being attacked. Big difference, and it's a measly 600. You do get your knickers in a twist over nothing. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 10, 2023, 08:09:16 AM
The house they were going to move into was given to an immigrant family instead. If you followed news and current affairs at all you would know that immigrants taking housing away from the British population is well publicised and increasing issue. (I wonder is some people on this forum follow news and current affair at all.)
Can you provide a news article stating an immigrant took a house of a Brit?

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 09, 2023, 06:09:35 PM
Ah! So your relative didn't lose out on a house purchase or rental to an immigrant.

They didn't get a council house (big difference)

They have my sympathies.

It is highly unlikely the family who did get the council house were here on work visas.

The house they were going to move into was given to an immigrant family instead. If you followed news and current affairs at all you would know that immigrants taking housing away from the British population is well publicised and increasing issue. (I wonder is some people on this forum follow news and current affair at all.)

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on September 09, 2023, 03:47:08 PM
My relative and his family in dire need of rehousing and within days of moving into a suitable council home and immigrants were housed instead.  Farage has only been reporting not making it up.
This is just an example of many instances:- 
Council leader defends decision to house refugees in 12 new-build homes in small village - Lincolnshire Live
Ah! So your relative didn't lose out on a house purchase or rental to an immigrant.

They didn't get a council house (big difference)

They have my sympathies.

It is highly unlikely the family who did get the council house were here on work visas.

Generally speaking you cannot get onto the register if you are here on a student visa, work visa, partner visa etc

Ie not one of the 1m or so documented immigrants.

Again the problem is massive under supply due to chronic underinvestment.

There are around 1.2m people waiting for a council house in England.

Even if every single one of the 75k asylum seekers in the UK was on that housing list and we kicked them off there would still be over 1. 1m people waiting.

Your relatives chances would not really improve much.

But blaming the 75k asylum seekers for your governments massive failure is much easier for politicians.

Farage has been exploiting the situation for his own ends. He is taking the justified anger at being denied a home and blaming it on immigrants (and he is deliberately fuzzy on who that is). He could blame the government's housing policies which are the root cause of the housing shortage. But that wouldn't generate as much anger for his purposes. He's not offering a solution because his identified cause is the wrong one. 

Like builder blaming your blocked drains on the immigrants taking big shits next door and not the substandard sewers they installed.

BTW your post was a little garbled, are you saying they were moved in then back out a few days later?

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 09, 2023, 03:27:11 PM
So you are saying, some of your relatives were outbid buying or renting a house by migrants?

People lose out on housing every day for a myriad of reasons. Housing near me is very scarce, not because of migrants per se, just because it's really bloody difficult to build new houses. People are losing out to other people who live here. I have friends I grew up with who can't buy houses because they are snapped up. by slightly better financed other friends we grew up with. Most people born here can't afford to live here. There is much muttering about outsiders, but they mean people from London or Oxford.

And take anything farage says with industrial levels of salt.
My relative and his family in dire need of rehousing and within days of moving into a suitable council home and immigrants were housed instead.  Farage has only been reporting not making it up.
This is just an example of many instances:-  
Council leader defends decision to house refugees in 12 new-build homes in small village - Lincolnshire Live

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on September 09, 2023, 03:14:35 PM
One of my relatives, and several others, but they are all upcountry. However Farage has been detailing significant numbers.
So you are saying, some of your relatives were outbid buying or renting a house by migrants?

People lose out on housing every day for a myriad of reasons. Housing near me is very scarce, not because of migrants per se, just because it's really bloody difficult to build new houses. People are losing out to other people who live here. I have friends I grew up with who can't buy houses because they are snapped up. by slightly better financed other friends we grew up with. Most people born here can't afford to live here. There is much muttering about outsiders, but they mean people from London or Oxford. 

And take anything farage says with industrial levels of salt. 

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on September 09, 2023, 02:21:41 PM
No it is NOT a one off. (It is actually worse than I thought)

Long-term international migration, provisional - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)
I've been banging on about this for ages.

The 1m+ migrants were all approved to come here, the vast majority on working visas to fill labour vacancies we cannot fill ourselves. 

The people bobbing across the cannel on leaky boats are a drop in the migration ocean, yet seem to inspire the most inhumane sentiments. 

If we want to cut migration we have a couple of choices boost the birthrate and wait 20 years or accept some jobs just won't get done. 

Given this government's attitude to children (for example cutting child benefit after 2kids) it looks like it's immigration or not getting jobs done. 

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 09, 2023, 03:08:34 PM
Put of interest, how many people do you know who have lost out housing (buying or rented) to migrants?
One of my relatives, and several others, but they are all upcountry. However Farage has been detailing significant numbers.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on September 09, 2023, 09:28:36 AM
On top of the current 600000 a year legal immigrants, I suspect most of us would not be OK with that. (In case you hadn't notice there is a severe housing shortage.)
Put of interest, how many people do you know who have lost out housing (buying or rented) to migrants? 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 09, 2023, 02:13:13 PM
Are you not listening? The number you keep throwing around was a ONE OFF. It was to accommodate HK residents and Syrian refugees. Why do you keep using this figure? Are you like a goldfish that can't remember once you've gone once round your bowl?
No it is NOT a one off. (It is actually worse than I thought)

Long-term international migration, provisional - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 09, 2023, 09:28:36 AM
On top of the current 600000 a year legal immigrants, I suspect most of us would not be OK with that. (In case you hadn't notice there is a severe housing shortage.)
Are you not listening? The number you keep throwing around was a ONE OFF. It was to accommodate HK residents and Syrian refugees. Why do you keep using this figure? Are you like a goldfish that can't remember once you've gone once round your bowl?

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 08, 2023, 09:06:31 PM
if it was just several hundred thousand I think most of us would be OK with that . As has been said a visa system with India would identify who and with what skills we were giving visas to. Sunak needs to stop doing u-turns and get on with being a conservative . He may find that hard though because he never was one
Remember pre referendum, one of the arguments was the EU was too slow at trade agreements because of having to satisfy so many different national interests and the slow progress with India was cited?

One of the major holdups for the India./eu deal was the UKs reluctance over Indian visa demands.

Well here we are.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 08, 2023, 09:06:31 PM
if it was just several hundred thousand I think most of us would be OK with that . 

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 08, 2023, 05:06:38 PM
It seems you are not aware of what is going on. (The latest is Sunak is backing away from the agreement because several hundred thousand more immigrants to Britain is a vote loser.)
if it was just several hundred thousand I think most of us would be OK with that . As has been said a visa system with India would identify who and with what skills we were giving visas to. Sunak needs to stop doing u-turns and get on with being a conservative . He may find that hard though because he never was one