Over 1,600 International Scientists Sign ‘No Climate Emergency’

Started by Borchester, September 07, 2023, 03:41:41 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 08, 2023, 05:24:39 PM
So we are now at the "yes the climate is changing but it isn't our fault so there is nothing we can do about it" stage?

Or are we still at the "the climate isn't changing, it's just bad data" stage?

I'm never sure because deniers seem to vibrate between the two positions - which tells me neither is arrived at from a skeptical and logical standpoint.

The climate is changing, this is undeniable.

It is a problem for humans as it increases the rate and severity of extreme events and changes the habitability of geographical regions.

You do not have to believe in man made climate change via fossil fuel emissions to agree with the above 2 facts.

They would be true if the climate was being changed by a bond villain with a weather changing laser or solar flares or whatever.

We need to adapt to these changes.

Should the UK not bother increasing drought resilience? Should we not change our building codes to account for more intense rainfall or higher temperatures?

Is anyone here going to argue with that?

The contentious bit is to what extent man can affect the extent and direction of this change.

That's the argument.

On the one hand we have 1600 scientists saying there is nothing we can do (but also failing to discuss mitigations for the cha gr that is happening or what changes we should make given we cannot know what the climate will do as models are apparently useless)

On the other we have the majority of climate scientists. Who say that we are responsible and we can do something.
I duno Bellbud , I think all we want is honesty . Over the years we have just had horseshit so I guess untill we get something thats proved not to be we will keep looking for why the climate zealots are wrong .And when we look we normally find they are 

BeElBeeBub

So we are now at the "yes the climate is changing but it isn't our fault so there is nothing we can do about it" stage? 

Or are we still at the "the climate isn't changing, it's just bad data" stage? 

I'm never sure because deniers seem to vibrate between the two positions - which tells me neither is arrived at from a skeptical and logical standpoint. 

The climate is changing, this is undeniable. 

It is a problem for humans as it increases the rate and severity of extreme events and changes the habitability of geographical regions. 

You do not have to believe in man made climate change via fossil fuel emissions to agree with the above 2 facts. 

They would be true if the climate was being changed by a bond villain with a weather changing laser or solar flares or whatever. 

We need to adapt to these changes.

Should the UK not bother increasing drought resilience? Should we not change our building codes to account for more intense rainfall or higher temperatures? 

Is anyone here going to argue with that? 

The contentious bit is to what extent man can affect the extent and direction of this change. 

That's the argument. 

On the one hand we have 1600 scientists saying there is nothing we can do (but also failing to discuss mitigations for the cha gr that is happening or what changes we should make given we cannot know what the climate will do as models are apparently useless) 

On the other we have the majority of climate scientists. Who say that we are responsible and we can do something. 

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 08, 2023, 04:12:31 PM
No it ain't

If you get 158.1 mm  in an hour and 100 mm in two, then the latter produces more water.
That is the amount that fell. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on September 08, 2023, 02:06:15 PM
It is the amount that is the record. 158.1 millimeters at its headquarters, the highest since records began in 1884.

No it ain't

If you get 158.1 mm  in an hour and 100 mm in two, then the latter produces more water.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 08, 2023, 03:09:30 PM
Indeed broke the record set in June 2008 of 145mm.  Not quite sure what thats supposed to prove but it rained a bit heavier this week than 15 years ago .
The EL Nino effect is strong this year and will likely be stronger next . Rising sea temperatures ,what warmists should be talking about , are as high as ever which causes the heavy rainfalls seen across much of the world . But they wont because El Nino is a natural event

For the sceptic its worth noting that climate change zealots have stopped talking about Artic sea ice and swithed to Antartic sea ice . Thats because the Antartic has seen record low levels for the time of year while Artic sea ice has got nowhere near record lows

Save the Penguin has replaced save the Polar bear so  thats something to celebrate because  nobody ever got eaten by Mumble and his mates  !
Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag (nsidc.org)

September 5th 2023

August Arctic sea ice extent averaged 5.57 million square kilometers (2.15 million square miles), or the eighth lowest in the 45-year satellite record (Figure 1a). Extent was 1.63 million square kilometers (629,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 reference period and 850,000 square kilometers (328,000 square miles) above the previous record low for the month set in 2012. As of the end of August, 2.24 million square kilometers (860,000 square miles) of sea ice was lost in the Arctic.
As is typical during the latter half of August, the pace of ice loss slowed (Figure 1b).  Nevertheless, the daily ice loss rate of 72,100 square kilometers (27,800 square miles) per day was faster than the 1981 to 2010 average of 57,200 square kilometers (22,100 square miles) per day.
At month's end, the ice edge remained considerably farther north than average in the Beaufort, Chukchi and East Siberian Seas, while in the Kara and Barents Seas the ice edge was near its typical location, albeit farther north in a few scattered regions. In the East Greenland Sea the ice was also well north of its usual position, in large part because of reduced ice export out of Fram Strait. While the ice edge in the Laptev Sea was near average, large areas of low ice concentration and open water were present.
The southern Northwest Passage, known as Amundsen's route, remains nearly ice free, and the northern deepwater route between M'Clure Strait and Lancaster Sound has less ice than the previous record low for this time of year set in 2011. However, some ice still clogs M'Clure Strait and ice in the Beaufort Sea hinders easy access.
Conditions in context

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 08, 2023, 02:06:15 PM
It is the amount that is the record. 158.1 millimeters at its headquarters, the highest since records began in 1884.
Indeed broke the record set in June 2008 of 145mm.  Not quite sure what thats supposed to prove but it rained a bit heavier this week than 15 years ago .
The EL Nino effect is strong this year and will likely be stronger next . Rising sea temperatures ,what warmists should be talking about , are as high as ever which causes the heavy rainfalls seen across much of the world . But they wont because El Nino is a natural event 

For the sceptic its worth noting that climate change zealots have stopped talking about Artic sea ice and swithed to Antartic sea ice . Thats because the Antartic has seen record low levels for the time of year while Artic sea ice has got nowhere near record lows 

Save the Penguin has replaced save the Polar bear so  thats something to celebrate because  nobody ever got eaten by Mumble and his mates  !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 08, 2023, 01:35:46 PM
140 years is but a blip in the age of man .The flooding in HK though is because of poor infrastructure not because its raining . From the pictures (news items) you can see the drains not coping with the heavy rainfall in urban areas and without the flooding you dont have a story .
It is the amount that is the record. 158.1 millimeters at its headquarters, the highest since records began in 1884.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 08, 2023, 12:19:10 PM
So the worst in 140 years is a lie then?

Hong Kong flooded by heaviest rainfall in 140 years (phys.org)

The heavy rainfall in Hong Kong started on Thursday and in the hour leading up to midnight, the city's weather observatory recorded hourly rainfall of 158.1 millimeters at its headquarters, the highest since records began in 1884.

140 years is but a blip in the age of man .The flooding in HK though is because of poor infrastructure not because its raining . From the pictures (news items) you can see the drains not coping with the heavy rainfall in urban areas and without the flooding you dont have a story .

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on September 08, 2023, 12:19:10 PM
So the worst in 140 years is a lie then?

Hong Kong flooded by heaviest rainfall in 140 years (phys.org)

The heavy rainfall in Hong Kong started on Thursday and in the hour leading up to midnight, the city's weather observatory recorded hourly rainfall of 158.1 millimeters at its headquarters, the highest since records began in 1884.

Over how many hours and what was the total amount of rain that feel ?

And if Hong Kong has so much rain, why can't some clever Chinese find a way to send some to the UK ?  It has been as dry as a bone recently and I am getting too old to drag buckets of water from one end of the allotment to the next
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 08, 2023, 11:29:17 AM
Hong Kong flooded by heaviest rainfall in almost 140 years as black rainstorm warning issued | World News | Sky News
Firstly, it's Typhoon season in the region and secondly, I was in HK in 2018 when they had weather exactly the same as this. As SW rightly said, it's sensationalism that gets people like you hook, line and sinker. Gullible is not the word. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 08, 2023, 07:19:48 AM
The climate change denying industry.
Again you show your complete ignorance, no one is denying the climate is changing. They are saying A) it's not anthropogenic, and B) it's not a problem.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 08, 2023, 11:01:11 AM
Just because they say so doesnt make it so .  24 hour news has to talk about something I suppose and the weather is a gift that keeps on giving .
Turkey for instance has had many floods over the years , they expect them  yet the BBC (and others ) reckon Turkey has never seen anything like it , worst floods in history ect ......wrong .
Hong Kong flooded by heaviest rainfall in almost 140 years as black rainstorm warning issued | World News | Sky News

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 07, 2023, 05:58:43 PM
Still propaganda Nick, been shot down in flames on several TV news bulletins today.
Just because they say so doesnt make it so .  24 hour news has to talk about something I suppose and the weather is a gift that keeps on giving .
Turkey for instance has had many floods over the years , they expect them  yet the BBC (and others ) reckon Turkey has never seen anything like it , worst floods in history ect ......wrong .