Lord Ashcroft Polls:- "Britain is broken."

Started by papasmurf, September 09, 2023, 10:33:40 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 03, 2023, 09:40:32 AMRubbish resturuants ,dirty pubs and misserable people that make you think your are better off making your own entertainment. 
Since the over-tourism meaning restaurants and other hospitality can't get staff the menus have been "burgerised", about the only place left to get decent food is Smokey Joe's transport café. Frankly we can cook better at home than most of the restaurants.
I am looking forward to my holiday in Brittany so I can get some decent food in restaurants at reasonable prices.
As for miserable people since Brexit has caused difficulties locally most of the local males effected by it appear to have all year around SAD, (Seasonally Acquired Depression.)

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on October 02, 2023, 04:45:30 PM
You appear not to know much about Cornwall. There are 47 golf courses in Cornwall. 
Indeed Ive played a good few of them ,most of which I wish I hadn't bothered and are best described as goat tracks . I said decent golfcourses not how many .
 Camborne is scruffy. Cornwall does not have the infrastructure to support the over a million tourists who rock up, clog the place up, and this year keep their wallets shut.
We can agree on that . I have found on my visits down there though that its not so much that we don't want to spend our money but more that there is nothing to spend it on . Rubbish resturuants ,dirty pubs and misserable people that make you think your are better off making your own entertainment. Staycations were popular post pandemic but I think things will return to normal next year and your mates will be moaning about everyone staying away .
Personally I would not live in Devon for a bet.
You have a long list of such places 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 02, 2023, 04:32:22 PM
Cornwall.  Half a dozen pretty fishing villages ,a couple of decent golf courses and thats about it ,the rest of it is scruffy as feck .. It wasn't intended to be highly populated or have loads of businesses ,just doesn't have the infrastructure . Can't think why anyone would live there when they could live in Devon
You appear not to know much about Cornwall. There are 47 golf courses in Cornwall. Camborne is scruffy. Cornwall does not have the infrastructure to support the over a million tourists who rock up, clog the place up, and this year keep their wallets shut.
Personally I would not live in Devon for a bet.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on October 02, 2023, 03:22:57 PM
Cornwall has has no benefits at all since may 2010.  I also wish you and other would stop personalising everything.
The ever increasing problems caused by the tories, Brexit, and over tourism to Cornwall are the subject of increasing opposition because frankly if the business shutdowns recently carry on, (and I see no reason they won't.) Cornwall is finished.
Cornwall.  Half a dozen pretty fishing villages ,a couple of decent golf courses and thats about it ,the rest of it is scruffy as feck .. It wasn't intended to be highly populated or have loads of businesses ,just doesn't have the infrastructure . Can't think why anyone would live there when they could live in Devon 

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 02, 2023, 02:49:48 PM
Had your locality all the benefits you've appeared to seek over the years,
Cornwall has has no benefits at all since may 2010.  I also wish you and other would stop personalising everything.
The ever increasing problems caused by the tories, Brexit, and over tourism to Cornwall are the subject of increasing opposition because frankly if the business shutdowns recently carry on, (and I see no reason they won't.) Cornwall is finished.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 09, 2023, 12:18:32 PM
Due to "skilled" trades people being as rare as rocking horse poo and Unicorns where I live. I have little choice but to resort to "Destroy-It-Your-Self." I am also fed up with call centres being thousands of miles away staffed by people whose first language is not English.(Offshoring call centres means in the case of car/motorcycle insurance means that those call centres cannot access data bases like the DVLA and other databases because of that.)
Had your locality all the benefits you've appeared to seek over the years, there'd probably higher house prices and rents, extra council tax, and more expensive insurances. It would probably be more crowded with permanent residents causing clutter, noise, and all year round overcrowding...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

HDQQ

Whatever happened to "build back better"? 
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 09, 2023, 11:30:19 AM
The root of the problems is that people have stopped taking care of their own stuff
Due to "skilled" trades people being as rare as rocking horse poo and Unicorns where I live. I have little choice but to resort to "Destroy-It-Your-Self." I am also fed up with call centres being thousands of miles away staffed by people whose first language is not English.(Offshoring call centres means in the case of car/motorcycle insurance means that those call centres cannot access data bases like the DVLA and other databases because of that.)

Streetwalker

The root of the problems is that people have stopped taking care of their own stuff and have become reliant on others and the state .  Personally I dont have problems with anybody ,but then I have a rule I dont phone call centres . I never phone plod and my expectations of our elected repsentatives is that low Im never dissapointed 

papasmurf

I have to agree that Britain is broken, nothing seems to work properly currently. Personally I have had problems with the DVLA, who usual efficiency seem to have gone down the toilet. My wife and I have had massive problems with insurance companies, problems with police inaction, elected representatives being as much use as a chocolate spanner. The council seems to have even more madcap policies as time passes. More at link.

Lord Ashcroft Polls - The home of polling and political research from Lord Ashcroft

The State We're In

Monday, 4 September, 2023 in Economy
By Lord Ashcroft
"Britain is broken – people are getting poorer, nothing seems to work properly, and we need big changes to the way the country works, whichever party is in government." In my latest polling, an extraordinary 72% agreed with this statement, including more than half of 2019 Conservative voters. Only just over one in five opted took the alternative view that "there will always be problems that need sorting out, but there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the way the country works."
Many thinkers of various stripes agree: economists, including those on the Growth Commission established by Liz Truss, consider the urgent question of how to improve Britain's sluggish productivity. Many others on the centre-right – not least those contributing to ConHome's project on reducing demand for government – worry about an allied problem: that the state itself has become too big, expensive and burdensome, and that the Tories should make it their mission to rein it in.
This is a recurring theme in Conservative thought, and with good reason. But it's easy to take the arguments for a smaller state for granted, and assume they are self-evident to everyone. At least as dangerous, politically, is the temptation to think in terms of theory when voters think almost exclusively in terms of practice. I therefore wanted to find out how people saw the questions at stake in this debate – about the tax burden, business regulation, spending and public services, the role of the state itself, and how they reacted to the low-tax, small-state agenda (more...)