More good news for the UK

Started by Streetwalker, September 11, 2023, 07:33:37 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 12, 2023, 10:58:04 AM
No, it's you, you sensationalise every bit of news you watch. You're just a doom monger.
I just comment  on it, no sensationalism involved. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 12, 2023, 10:53:26 AMGive me an example of something you can't get to do DIY? You won't cause you can't.
Currently due to shortages a specific grit type of 125mm orbital sander disc for steel. (Out of stock.) Also getting some car/motorcycle spares has been a problem since Brexit. I also had problems getting something as mundane as brackets for the "stink pipe," which were damaged in a storm a few weeks ago. None in any of the local "Destroy-It-Yourself ," emporiums.
Nick, frankly your ignorance of what is happening is beyond boring and your constantly using you ignorance to call me a liar and otherwise insult me is unacceptable.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2023, 10:54:26 AM
So do I, you obviously walk around with your eyes shut.
No, it's you, you sensationalise every bit of news you watch. You're just a doom monger. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on September 12, 2023, 10:39:39 AM

Actually Pappy, it is.

A while back Nick made a post about travelling through Cornwall and you said that there was no point because all there was on the supermarket shelves were bunches of dried grass (if you got there early) and a few bottles of meths at the off licence. Obviously you know better than everyone else as you will be the first to admit, but the brother and sister in law have just returned from a tour of Cornwall and they are pounds heavier and with a hint of cirrhosis of the liver by way of souvenirs.

Maybe the local supermarkets have restocked their shelves ?
I showed him photos of fully stocked shelves at 2 of his local Tesco's, he was still stating they were empty, same as he was telling me the pubs didn't have produce to do pub grub. Another load of nonsense. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 12, 2023, 10:53:26 AM
Unlike you, I actually go outside and see with my own eyes what is happening,
So do I, you obviously walk around with your eyes shut.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2023, 09:08:12 AM
Nick it is not me telling you about empty supermarket shelves it is widely reported and commented on, which you would know of you ever bothered to follow news and current affairs.
I don't know anyone who never leaves their bedroom. Personally I wake at 05.20 hours to listen to the shipping forecast, the farming program and business news. Then there is Destroy-It-Yourself to do, (when and if I can get what is needed.)
Unlike you, I actually go outside and see with my own eyes what is happening, I don't have to rely on dodgy news stories. Give me an example of something you can't get to do DIY? You won't cause you can't. 

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2023, 09:08:12 AM
Nick it is not me telling you about empty supermarket shelves it is widely reported and commented on, which you would know of you ever bothered to follow news and current affairs.

Actually Pappy, it is.

A while back Nick made a post about travelling through Cornwall and you said that there was no point because all there was on the supermarket shelves were bunches of dried grass (if you got there early) and a few bottles of meths at the off licence. Obviously you know better than everyone else as you will be the first to admit, but the brother and sister in law have just returned from a tour of Cornwall and they are pounds heavier and with a hint of cirrhosis of the liver by way of souvenirs.

Maybe the local supermarkets have restocked their shelves ?

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 11, 2023, 10:51:53 PMYou stick to telling us how there is no produce on the shelves of Tesco and leave industry to people who actually leave their bedroom.
I don't know anyone who never leaves their bedroom. Personally I wake at 05.20 hours to listen to the shipping forecast, the farming program and business news. Then there is Destroy-It-Yourself to do, (when and if I can get what is needed.)

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 12, 2023, 08:39:14 AM
Bullshit

The mass market for them is huge and is the same one it has been for what it must be 75 years, the corporate fleet market.
John I know the fleet market is huge, but for the many of the rest of the population an EV is a non starter. The high cost, on street parking, making charging difficult to impossible. In rural areas an EV is just not practical. (Personally I will never be able to afford one or afford the cost of a charger in my garage.) My current petrol engined car cost £1000, and has years of life left in it.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2023, 08:06:57 AM
Nick, until and unless EVs get a lot cheaper there is no mass market for them. (The bulk of EVs produced currently are going to the fleet mark.  BBC Radio 4 business program this morning.)
Where I live and in most rural areas they are useless in practical terms.
I think BMW will take the government money and get out of Britain in a few years. Unless the Brexit tariff problems, extra costs and delays are sorted. As yet there is no sign of that at all.

Then there is this:-
Electric vehicle car issues – what we learnt in 2022 | Autotech Training

[color=var(--ast-global-color-2)]COMMON ISSUES WITH ELECTRIC VEHICLES[/font][/size][/color]

The technology for electric vehicles is improving all the time, yet still has a long way to go. From battery issues to software and electronic problems, there are a variety of potential problems that are arising with electric vehicles.
In a survey by consumer testing site Which, it was found EVs are the least reliable fuel type and spend longer off the road than other cars when they need repairs. It reported that of cars up to four years old, nearly one in three (31%) EV owners reported one fault or more, compared to less than one in five (19%) petrol cars. Owners of those faulty electric cars then went an average of just over five days without the use of their car while it was being fixed, compared to just three days for petrol cars.

Bullshit

The mass market for them is huge and is the same one it has been for what it must be 75 years, the corporate fleet market. Ford provided IBM with their entire sales and service force company car fleet as far back as the 1950s and Volvo in the seventies were running a paint shop doing bespoke colours for mass corporate clients I remember dad's Volvo estate in IBM Blue

As explained to me by the salesman i used to buy all my cars from when contracting, now retired, the Inland Revenue impose a tax charge of 38% of the retail cost per annum on the salary of any company car driver driving a petrol car, and FOUR per cent if it is an EV

So the £22000 MG estate petrol costs you £8,360 a year (thats a -4000 tax code for 20% tax payers) while the 55,000 Audi EV costs you £2,200

and no employee gives a F@@@ what it costs their employer do they.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2023, 08:06:57 AM
Nick, until and unless EVs get a lot cheaper there is no mass market for them. (The bulk of EVs produced currently are going to the fleet mark.  BBC Radio 4 business program this morning.)
I think BMW will take the government money and get out of Britain in a few years. Unless the Brexit tariff problems, extra costs and delays are sorted. As yet there is no sign of that at all.

[color=var(--ast-global-color-2)]COMMON ISSUES WITH ELECTRIC VEHICLES[/font][/size][/color]

The technology for electric vehicles is improving all the time, yet still has a long way to go. From battery issues to software and electronic problems, there are a variety of potential problems that are arising with electric vehicles.
In a survey by consumer testing site Which, it was found EVs are the least reliable fuel type and spend longer off the road than other cars when they need repairs. It reported that of cars up to four years old, nearly one in three (31%) EV owners reported one fault or more, compared to less than one in five (19%) petrol cars. Owners of those faulty electric cars then went an average of just over five days without the use of their car while it was being fixed, compared to just three days for petrol cars.

Another attempt to change the conversation. No one is talking about EV issues cause we all know about the issues, especially me cause I have one and it's crap. The fact is that it has been legislated and you saying it's not going to happen won't change that. And who says BMW are getting any money off the government?

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 11, 2023, 02:20:12 PM
Its not about you Papa its about the good of the country and jobs for the lads in  Oxford and Swindon .

Rural areas wil be up to speed by the time they need to be
No, they won't. They can hardly deal with Vietnamese Illegals looking after cannabis factories with doctored power supplies.....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 11, 2023, 10:51:53 PM
So you think BMW don't know what they are doing Smurf? You clearly think you know better than they do. I've just watched the RR31 come off the production line at Goodwood, circa £1 million per car every 15 minutes. You stick to telling us how there is no produce on the shelves of Tesco and leave industry to people who actually leave their bedroom.

In a survey by consumer testing site Which, it was found EVs are the least reliable fuel type and spend longer off the road than other cars when they need repairs. It reported that of cars up to four years old, nearly one in three (31%) EV owners reported one fault or more, compared to less than one in five (19%) petrol cars. Owners of those faulty electric cars then went an average of just over five days without the use of their car while it was being fixed, compared to just three days for petrol cars.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 11, 2023, 03:03:39 PM
If the EV Mini production  stays in Britain. (There is still the post Brexit  tariffs between the UK and EU for components to sort out.)
So you think BMW don't know what they are doing Smurf? You clearly think you know better than they do. I've just watched the RR31 come off the production line at Goodwood, circa £1 million per car every 15 minutes. You stick to telling us how there is no produce on the shelves of Tesco and leave industry to people who actually leave their bedroom.