More good news for the UK

Started by Streetwalker, September 11, 2023, 07:33:37 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 12, 2023, 09:34:47 PM
Would it be the same car industry that last yr hit its lowest manufacturing numbers since 1956.  That's almost as accurate as you saying IRL is in a recession. Why do you think I'm upset ?

Production in '22 fell 9.8% from '21
Production in '21 fell 41% since '19
From '19 through '21 you could say Covid hit and people postponed changing their car. But wouldn't that have created a bumper production in '22, seem's it didn't. Looks like '23 will be the year...as you say its BOOMING, but the forecast is for an uplift of  est 11%, that is encouraging but considering the large slide that growth is in reality a slide. See graph for a better view of the UK car market

Note the UK car exports for this yr are 80% of total production and 60% of that goes to the EU, now calculate in the hit to UK manufacturing as those incremental tariffs start to hit the UK manufacturing industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/may/20/brexit-has-wrecked-britains-car-industry-but-so-have-the-tories
https://www.smmt.co.uk/2023/07/double-digit-growth-for-uk-car-production-since-january/#:~:text=Today%20the%20UK%20automotive%20sector,billion%20in%20R%26D%20every%20year.

This is called a graph, it has an x and y axis, deep breath, take it all in

This is a graph Gerry, and unlike your last one it has a title saying what it is, so your smart-arse answer just makes you look foolish as you obviously don't understand what constitutes a meaningful graph. 

Another article with a heading 'Look what Brexit has done' and then goes on to say other factors have way more damage than Brexit. Typical anti-Brexit tactic aimed at the likes of Ducky, who wouldn't know democracy if it danced naked in front of him. 
The reason car numbers dropped is because people are unsure what to do regarding EV's, so they are not committing to a new car yet. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 11, 2023, 10:43:23 PM
The British car industry is hitting all time highs Gerry, manufacturers are realising they can operate without all the EU BS and are investing heavily. I'm sorry this upsets you but F.U.
Would it be the same car industry that last yr hit its lowest manufacturing numbers since 1956.  That's almost as accurate as you saying IRL is in a recession. Why do you think I'm upset ?

Production in '22 fell 9.8% from '21
Production in '21 fell 41% since '19
From '19 through '21 you could say Covid hit and people postponed changing their car. But wouldn't that have created a bumper production in '22, seem's it didn't. Looks like '23 will be the year...as you say its BOOMING, but the forecast is for an uplift of  est 11%, that is encouraging but considering the large slide that growth is in reality a slide. See graph for a better view of the UK car market

Note the UK car exports for this yr are 80% of total production and 60% of that goes to the EU, now calculate in the hit to UK manufacturing as those incremental tariffs start to hit the UK manufacturing industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/may/20/brexit-has-wrecked-britains-car-industry-but-so-have-the-tories 
https://www.smmt.co.uk/2023/07/double-digit-growth-for-uk-car-production-since-january/#:~:text=Today%20the%20UK%20automotive%20sector,billion%20in%20R%26D%20every%20year.

This is called a graph, it has an x and y axis, deep breath, take it all in

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 12, 2023, 06:22:03 PM
As said Pappy, your shopping experience is different  on Planet Zog :)
Borchester my shopping experience is the same as millions of others trying to deal with the ever increasing cost of food and shortages. How you and Nick are totally shielded from them is somewhat of a mystery given it is a near daily news item, current affairs and subject to debate in the Houses of Parliament. They say ignorance is bliss, in your case that is obvious.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2023, 05:30:03 PM
Borchester I actually go shopping in various parts of Britain over the course of the year as well as keep up with news and current affairs every day. It is Nick and you out of touch. The shortages and food price rises are going to get even worse over the next few months. If both of you bothered to keep up, you would know that.

As said Pappy, your shopping experience is different  on Planet Zog :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 12, 2023, 04:59:32 PM

Pappy lives in a strange bubble that may or not exist on Planet Earth, but where everything is undeniably shit. It is shit now and will get worse because, well Pappy says so.
Borchester I actually go shopping in various parts of Britain over the course of the year as well as keep up with news and current affairs every day. It is Nick and you out of touch. The shortages and food price rises are going to get even worse over the next few months. If both of you bothered to keep up, you would know that.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2023, 04:15:49 PM
Nick OK you are badly informed. I don't need to prove anything as the shortages are public domain widely reported and ongoing.
You must be one of the few people in the country who is unaware of it.

The truth might be that both of you are right.

Nick is a business man who roams the world and keeps a firm eye on trade cycles because, well, he would not be a business man for very long if he did not. Thus he is a reliable source on financial matters.:)

Pappy lives in a strange bubble that may or not exist on Planet Earth, but where everything is undeniably shit. It is shit now and will get worse because, well Pappy says so.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 12, 2023, 03:50:15 PM
Firstly, you have been warned about calling people ignorant just to hide the fact you can't prove one of your statements, you won't be warned again.
Nick OK you are badly informed. I don't need to prove anything as the shortages are public domain widely reported and ongoing.
You must be one of the few people in the country who is unaware of it.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2023, 03:22:59 PM
Nick there has been varying and ongoing shortages since Brexit, they have been well reported and detailed nationally. The you profess ignorance of it is either you being perverse just for the sake of it, or you just do not keep up with news or current affairs.

https://www.food.gov.uk/print/pdf/node/17681

UK 'brought food shortages on itself', says former Sainsbury's boss - Supply Management (cips.org)

Firstly, you have been warned about calling people ignorant just to hide the fact you can't prove one of your statements, you won't be warned again. 

Your links both state Covid is responsible for some shortages, other causes are Putin and the fact Ukraine is the worlds main suppliers of certain goods. 

Since when is food a DIY product, which is what you stated? Yet again you can't prove a simple fact: being you can't find a grinding disc, or provide a part number, cause you know you will be proved wrong. So no, I'm not ignorant, I can just spot a  bullshitter when they're about. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 12, 2023, 02:53:20 PM
You haven't specified anything, you've just mentioned a few vague items that cannot be verified. The angle grinder disc will have a part number, so what is it?
Nick there has been varying and ongoing shortages since Brexit, they have been well reported and detailed nationally. The you profess ignorance of it is either you being perverse just for the sake of it, or you just do not keep up with news or current affairs.

https://www.food.gov.uk/print/pdf/node/17681

UK 'brought food shortages on itself', says former Sainsbury's boss - Supply Management (cips.org)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2023, 02:32:15 PM
I just have specified shortages Nick, the have been reported in current affairs and news bulletins since Brexit, and building supplies one of the worst hit.  It really is not my problem you prefer to remain in ignorance.
You haven't specified anything, you've just mentioned a few vague items that cannot be verified. The angle grinder disc will have a part number, so what is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 12, 2023, 02:21:49 PM
So like I said, you have not named anything,
I just have specified shortages Nick, the have been reported in current affairs and news bulletins since Brexit, and building supplies one of the worst hit.  It really is not my problem you prefer to remain in ignorance.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2023, 11:04:10 AM
Currently due to shortages a specific grit type of 125mm orbital sander disc for steel. (Out of stock.) Also getting some car/motorcycle spares has been a problem since Brexit. I also had problems getting something as mundane as brackets for the "stink pipe," which were damaged in a storm a few weeks ago. None in any of the local "Destroy-It-Yourself ," emporiums.
Nick, frankly your ignorance of what is happening is beyond boring and your constantly using you ignorance to call me a liar and otherwise insult me is unacceptable.
So like I said, you have not named anything, you're that slippery you think you can be as vague as possible to try and make your point. I'm not ignorant, it's you thinking you can mug people off with BS, well you can't, and that's why you get called what you get called. 

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 12, 2023, 08:27:28 AM
No, they won't. They can hardly deal with Vietnamese Illegals looking after cannabis factories with doctored power supplies.....
Or the pop-up brothels.

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 12, 2023, 08:27:28 AM
No, they won't. They can hardly deal with Vietnamese Illegals looking after cannabis factories with doctored power supplies.....
Hardly being the key word ;)

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2023, 08:46:17 AM
John I know the fleet market is huge, but for the many of the rest of the population an EV is a non starter. The high cost, on street parking, making charging difficult to impossible. In rural areas an EV is just not practical. (Personally I will never be able to afford one or afford the cost of a charger in my garage.) My current petrol engined car cost £1000, and has years of life left in it.
I fully understand.

Hell, i had a good look as a PRIVATE buyer when my Sukuzi S Cross came a cropper.

BUT the private buyer just ISNT the target market in the UK for bulk new sales any more and frankly has not been for many years. The main market for private sales is the nearly new one and two year old fleet sales resellers. Motorpoint veing a orime example. Hardly anything older than two and a half years old, about a third of the depreciation done.

I threw the 12 plate Nissan Leaf i bought as the 64 plate Suzuki diesels replacement at a dealer in Derby who paid me six grand for it. One more than i paid two years earlier. I added another one and a half grand and bought a fully ULEZ compliant Dacia Duster Laureate 4WD. I do barely six thousand miles a year these days but every one at an antisocial hour. If some T@@@ stops the sale of diesel i'll run it on chip fat. As a biochemist i know EXACTLY how to modify it.

As i have said elsewhere the dealer buying the leaf sent a bloke to DRIVE it the 200 odd miles to Derby. I nearly died laughing...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>