Is Boris losing the plot ?

Started by Borchester, September 21, 2023, 11:20:53 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 22, 2023, 05:55:38 AM
Same as that , I tried the low energy bulbs that cost a fortune at the time but found the promise of longer life a false one 
I have never had to replace a low energy light bulb, the couple of spares have been gathering dust for years.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 22, 2023, 05:55:38 AM
Same as that , I tried the low energy bulbs that cost a fortune at the time but found the promise of longer life a false one so went back to the older type that most outlets had stockpiled. 
The early low energy bulbs had significant performance differences from incandescent, the slow warm up being the most prominent. And in the early 00's they were much more expensive. 

But, by the time the ban came into effect the LEDs were just coming on stream and in volumes so the price came down quickly. 

Which is the point of having a target date, and more importantly *not moving it*. 

Car makers are already gearing up for the ban date, investments are being made, supply chains updated etc in anticipation of a certain level of demand by a certain date. 

Likewise the heating industry was gearing up. For example my local plumbers merchant, very staid and no-nonsense has literally just put in a display stand and started stocking Panasonic heatpump (the paint was fresh last week). They are doing this in anticipation that all the boilers they sell will be going to be replaced by hps. The info and training is ramping up to make your one man boiler fitter in a van aware of what is happening and what to do.

A that is now up in the air. 

As a side note I believe alot of the shorter thane expected life of energy efficient bulbs is due to poor thermal management. Incandecent bulbs are, by their nature, more or less immune to heat build up so allowing them to dissapat heat easily was never a factor in the design of light fittings. When you swap in low energy bulbs they can run hotter than designed and fail early. 

We had annoyingly short life out of our communal area bulbs because the enclosures were not allowing them. To cool. On the other hand we have some near 20 year old bulbs in well ventilated shades that are still going strong. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2023, 09:35:14 PM
Firstly, there is a big difference between changing a few bulbs and spending £30K on a new car. BTW, I never changed to low energy bulbs, I waited it out and moved directly to LED. 
Same as that , I tried the low energy bulbs that cost a fortune at the time but found the promise of longer life a false one so went back to the older type that most outlets had stockpiled .
Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 21, 2023, 08:03:21 PM

Why? Because the phase out drove adoption of the tech. Yes it was expensive to begin with. Pre switchover my parents had some Led 50w equiv spots. They cost £14 each. Way too much.
Surely this is the whole point , when its affordable ,when the tech is up to speed we can all change to whatever . As it is we are just all part of a very expensive experiment 

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 21, 2023, 08:03:21 PM
Sunak's losing the plot because his 2 big roll backs (cars and boilers) have been roundly criticised by pretty much everyone apart from some reactionary daily mail types.

Remember when we switched away from incandescent bulbs to low energy, much to the consternation of much the same people?

"they cost too much! Think of the poor!)"

"they don't work as well!"

How many people were clamouring for their 60w incandescent light bulbs over the last year?

I can light my entire house with light bulbs that cost a few £ from B&Q for less energy than one 60w incandescent.

Why? Because the phase out drove adoption of the tech. Yes it was expensive to begin with. Pre switchover my parents had some Led 50w equiv spots. They cost £14 each. Way too much.

Manufacturers and industry had been working towards the various targets and now everything is in disarray.

And all of this because of a narrow tory hold in Uxbridge thought to be (but probably not) down to their opposition to the ULEZ.

Now an entire economy is being pivoted off the back of Sunak grabbing any possible policy to save his floundering government.
Firstly, there is a big difference between changing a few bulbs and spending £30K on a new car. BTW, I never changed to low energy bulbs, I waited it out and moved directly to LED. 60% of the country doesn't want to change to EV's, I have one and I hate it, can't wait til I change it, and I will deffo be buying a diesel.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

BeElBeeBub

Sunak's losing the plot because his 2 big roll backs (cars and boilers) have been roundly criticised by pretty much everyone apart from some reactionary daily mail types. 

Remember when we switched away from incandescent bulbs to low energy, much to the consternation of much the same people? 

"they cost too much! Think of the poor!)" 

"they don't work as well!" 

How many people were clamouring for their 60w incandescent light bulbs over the last year?

I can light my entire house with light bulbs that cost a few £ from B&Q for less energy than one 60w incandescent.

Manufacturers and industry had been working towards the various targets and now everything is in disarray.

And all of this because of a narrow tory hold in Uxbridge thought to be (but probably not) down to their opposition to the ULEZ.

Now an entire economy is being pivoted off the back of Sunak grabbing any possible policy to save his floundering government. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on September 21, 2023, 11:20:53 AM
I had hopes that the blond moppet would bounce back after Sunak's is defeated in 2025, but I can't see him getting very far with this tree hugging nonsense

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66869111
Its all waffle Borky 

Johnsons never cared about much but himself and just sees this as a opportunity to have a pop and get a few brownie points off his greenner than cabbage Mrs 

Borchester

I had hopes that the blond moppet would bounce back after Sunak's is defeated in 2025, but I can't see him getting very far with this tree hugging nonsense

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66869111
Algerie Francais !