Met police request support from army after officers down firearms

Started by Borchester, September 24, 2023, 05:26:52 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 24, 2023, 09:16:59 PM
We're talking about officers that are trained to the hilt on terms of engagement. No wonder they are handing in their tickets. I support them whole heartedly.
Precisely. Related to firearms officers and the rare occasions that they do open fire, they are working on intelligence received, which has in the past turned out to be not accurate.  Also when I worked for a firearms dealer part of the work involved the destruction of seized and confiscated firearms.  What is and is not a firearm is not always obvious.  Some modern air-rifles look like military assault weapons. Pens with a Harley Davidson logo on them turned out to be single shot 9mm. What looked like mobile phones were multi shot .22, and a list list of other items turned out to be on close inspection to be firearms.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 24, 2023, 05:52:19 PM
Been following this story for a few months and find it a kick in the nuts for the safety of the public and those that go out on the streets every day to protect us .
Without going into the details of this case in particular I just don't get how an officer can  be found guilty of murder for carrying out his duty , that being protecting the public (and themselves ) from an assumed threat of an armed villian

Given the charges it's no wonder a good number of officers with firearms tickets have handed them in . Problem I see is that the army lads who dont have the option to down tools will in the future face the same charges , what then ?
We're talking about officers that are trained to the hilt on terms of engagement. No wonder they are handing in their tickets. I support them whole heartedly. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on September 24, 2023, 05:26:52 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/24/met-police-requests-support-from-army-after-officers-turn-in-firearms
Been following this story for a few months and find it a kick in the nuts for the safety of the public and those that go out on the streets every day to protect us .
Without going into the details of this case in particular I just don't get how an officer can  be found guilty of murder for carrying out his duty , that being protecting the public (and themselves ) from an assumed threat of an armed villian 

Given the charges its no wonder a good number of officers with firearms tickets have handed them in . Problem I see is that the army lads who dont have the option to down tools will in the future face the same charges , what then ?

papasmurf

I don't blame the firearms officers telling their superior officers where to stick the job, given the circumstances.[highlight][highlight] On 5 September 2022, Chris Kaba, a 24-year-old rapper and member of 67, was shot dead by police in Streatham Hill, London, England. The car he was driving, an Audi Q8, was believed by police to have been linked to a "firearms incident" the day before. On the day of the shooting, the Audi was followed by an unmarked police car until it was met by a police road block and police rammed it[1][2]. Armed police who had been in a marked car approached on foot. Witnesses said that Kaba refused to leave his car and drove it into one of the police cars. One of the armed officers fired a single round at Kaba through the car windscreen, which hit Kaba in the head[3][4]. He was taken to hospital but died of his injuries the following day. The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) then began an investigation into the shooting.[/highlight][/highlight]
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe