Labour to add VAT to private school fees within first year if elected

Started by SKY News, September 27, 2023, 07:00:13 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 27, 2023, 07:42:34 PM
Whats that got to do with anything
How are people supposed to fund private education for their children out of that?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 27, 2023, 06:54:15 PM
You must have a high income to cover that, well above the average.
I dont send him there he works there 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 27, 2023, 06:50:50 PM
My sons school is £7,700 a term which will rise to £9,200 with VAT or 23,100 rising to  £27,600 a year for Day school , they dont take borders . Thats without the extras like sports equipment , outings and weeks away . Say £30K as a ball park figure ,double what you assume the cost to be
2 kids thats £60K pa thank you very much . Im sure all the parents who have chosen to put their kids education as a priority will be well pleased that that they wont notice another £10k out of the family budjet .
You must have a high income to cover that, well above the average.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 27, 2023, 03:09:24 PM
Borchester stop the personal insults. It appears to be totally impossible for you to engage in serious debate. (You really do need counselling and/or a psychiatric assessment. I am being serious about that.)  I can think,some people on this forum have no idea what think means. 
Fees for private schooling are around £15000 a year for days, and a hell of a lot more for private boarding schools.  The number parents who can afford that is limited, but those who can would not notice 20% extra.
My sons school is £7,700 a term which will rise to £9,200 with VAT or 23,100 rising to  £27,600 a year for Day school , they dont take borders . Thats without the extras like sports equipment , outings and weeks away . Say £30K as a ball park figure ,double what you assume the cost to be
2 kids thats £60K pa thank you very much . Im sure all the parents who have chosen to put their kids education as a priority will be well pleased that that they wont notice another £10k out of the family budjet .

Quote from: papasmurf on September 27, 2023, 05:19:01 PM
They must be earning a lot of money then. 
Is that now a crime ?  What people earn is irrelevant ,its the disposable income thats the issue 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 27, 2023, 04:28:45 PM
Do keep up, it has been well publicised that some people are working their arse off to send their children to private school.
They must be earning a lot of money then.  

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 27, 2023, 12:55:48 PM
Given the cost of private education, (especially residential ones,) none of the pupils can be coming from poor or even relatively well off families, (unless they have some of the rare scholarships.)
Do keep up, it has been well publicised that some people are working their arse off to send their children to private school. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 27, 2023, 01:21:26 PM
True, but you will never be able to explain that to Pappy, because he would have to think and he has never been any good at that. The point that the Cornish Clown fails to grasp is that many of us could not afford the school fees, but did so anyway. It is called being a parent.
Borchester stop the personal insults. It appears to be totally impossible for you to engage in serious debate. (You really do need counselling and/or a psychiatric assessment. I am being serious about that.)   I can think,some people on this forum have no idea what think means.  
Fees for private schooling are around £15000 a year for days, and a hell of a lot more for private boarding schools.  The number parents who can afford that is limited, but those who can would not notice 20% extra.

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 27, 2023, 12:51:32 PM
My son works in one of Londons better private schools and assures that a good number  of pupils come from families who have prioritised their kids education over other expenditure . They may well stretch the finances to paying the VAT but rich they are not and some will  go down the road of state school with private tuiton where they need it .

The illusion that all private school pupils come from rich families is a false one .

True, but you will never be able to explain that to Pappy, because he would have to think and he has never been any good at that. The point that the Cornish Clown fails to grasp is that many of us could not afford the school fees, but did so anyway. It is called being a parent.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 27, 2023, 12:51:32 PM
My son works in one of Londons better private schools and assures that a good number  of pupils come from families who have prioritised their kids education over other expenditure . They may well stretch the finances to paying the VAT but rich they are not and some will  go down the road of state school with private tuiton where they need it .

The illusion that all private school pupils come from rich families is a false one .
Given the cost of private education, (especially residential ones,) none of the pupils can be coming from poor or even relatively well off families, (unless they have some of the rare scholarships.)

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 27, 2023, 12:29:03 PM
Personally I doubt that, the people who are rich enough to pay for private education can pay the increase with ease.
My son works in one of Londons better private schools and assures that a good number  of pupils come from families who have prioritised their kids education over other expenditure . They may well stretch the finances to paying the VAT but rich they are not and some will  go down the road of state school with private tuiton where they need it .

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 27, 2023, 12:22:43 PM
Making private schools more expensive will just mean more kids in state schools . 
Personally I doubt that, the people who are rich enough to pay for private education can pay the increase with ease.

Streetwalker

Making private schools more expensive will just mean more kids in state schools . That means the money spent on state schools will have to go further . The tax raised will make up for some of it but what labour are saying is that if you can afford to pay for your childs education you can afford to pay for everyone elses .

papasmurf