Labour to add VAT to private school fees within first year if elected

Started by SKY News, September 27, 2023, 07:00:13 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on September 28, 2023, 06:50:01 PM
The big issue is he has to take Raynor with him, she deffo has some dirt on him that he doesn't want anyone to know about.

Dunno. She might. but Sir Stodge is such a dreary bugger that any revelations would probably result in much of the electorate saying well, who would have thought the dull sod had it in him ? And voting for him as a result.

And our Angela is such a pea brained motor gob, it is unlikely that anyone will take any notice of her anyway
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

The big issue is he has to take Raynor with him, she deffo has some dirt on him that he doesn't want anyone to know about.
What has made you come to that conclusion please?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

The deputy leader of the labour party is an elected position so he has to take her with him whether he likes it or not 

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on September 28, 2023, 12:39:57 PM
I always get the feeling that every time he opens his mouth he thinks, oh shit, I have offended as many people as I have gained new voters. So he shuts up and denys  saying anything. I look forward to Starmer's premiership when sod all will be done and the powers that be will leave us alone.

Apparently the next Labour government is going to maintain the private schools charitable status and add VAT. Or maybe it is the other way round. Whatever, I imagine that Sir Stodge is just hoping that the whole business will quietly blow over
The big issue is he has to take Raynor with him, she deffo has some dirt on him that he doesn't want anyone to know about.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 28, 2023, 04:13:49 PM
Some personal circumstances already detailed in the media, the mother had been saving for years to pay for private education.
Even if the mother was on the top rate of pay for a children's nurse, it would not cover the fees, given the cost of living in London.
Well there you go then  . What do you think she would have thought of having to find another £4K a year  out of her nurses salary ? 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 28, 2023, 03:45:06 PM

I dont think we need to know anymore about peoples personel circumstances other than it cosnfirms that people on modest incomes do use the public schools
Some personal circumstances already detailed in the media, the mother had been saving for years to pay for private education.
Even if the mother was on the top rate of pay for a children's nurse, it would not cover the fees, given the cost of living in London.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 28, 2023, 01:41:41 PM
Depending on seniority children's nurse £35,392 to £50,056 per annum. (It can't be Whitgift School that is a boys school, Old Palace of John Whitgift School is a girls school. One day the media will be accurate.)
We also do not know the mother's personal circumstances in full.
My bad , Whitgift schools in Croydon are commonly known as er ,Whitgift schools ,my younger brother went to the boys one in the late 70's (took the entrance exam and got a bursary ).

The Whitgift foundation is a charitable organisation that has as well as schools has care homes ,hospices , old peoples and almshouses . Also owns a lot of land serving the public ,shopping centres and even owns the golf course where Im a member where being part of the foundation allows anyone access regardless of affordability 
Just as well Labour have u-turned on stripping the charitable status of schools , as I said that would have opened a can of worms with its effects spreading far and wide 

Even so the Old Palace girls school has become too much of a drain on the charity and they are closing it in 2025 .

I dont think we need to know anymore about peoples personel circumstances other than it cosnfirms that people on modest incomes do use the public schools 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 28, 2023, 01:33:51 PM

The mum worked for the NHS as a childrens nurse . Now I dont know how much a childrens nurse makes on the NHS but Im pretty sure it aint in the wealthy bracket Smurf would think she was in
Depending on seniority children's nurse £35,392 to £50,056 per annum. (It can't be Whitgift School that is a boys school, Old Palace of John Whitgift School is a girls school. One day the media will be accurate.)
We also do not know the mother's personal circumstances in full.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on September 28, 2023, 12:39:57 PM
I always get the feeling that every time he opens his mouth he thinks, oh shit, I have offended as many people as I have gained new voters. So he shuts up and denys  saying anything. I look forward to Starmer's premiership when sod all will be done and the powers that be will leave us alone.

Apparently the next Labour government is going to maintain the private schools charitable status and add VAT. Or maybe it is the other way round. Whatever, I imagine that Sir Stodge is just hoping that the whole business will quietly blow over
They realise they have fecked this up so are trying to reword it . Their problem is charitable status comes with exemption of VAT .If the remove charitable status of schools they will have to remove it from a raft of national companies with charitable foundations some of which are the schools themselves  and some of which are also  party donors . Its something they have put their foot in without thought .

I was reading the tragic news from Croydon earlier of the schoolgirl stabbed to death on a bus yesterday morning . Not making light of that but the report stated that she attended the private £20,000 a year Whitgift School in central Croydon . The report goes on to say her mother sent her there to give her the best of chances and paid the fees 

The mum worked for the NHS as a childrens nurse . Now I dont know how much a childrens nurse makes on the NHS but Im pretty sure it aint in the wealthy bracket Smurf would think she was in 

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 28, 2023, 11:40:49 AM
Trouble is every time Starmer opens his mouth you get the feeling he will make things worse not better .

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 28, 2023, 11:34:18 AM
Nick it is you who are unaware of reality. It is not a case of what I want the Tory cock-up and disasters are well documented and reported. Basically they have wrecked Britain.
Trouble is every time Starmer opens his mouth you get the feeling he will make things worse not better .

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 28, 2023, 11:21:00 AM
That's just what you want, and your wants have no bearing on reality.
Nick it is you who are unaware of reality. It is not a case of what I want the Tory cock-up and disasters are well documented and reported. Basically they have wrecked Britain.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 28, 2023, 08:39:11 AM
Given the converging disasters the Tories have caused for millions of people I would suggest the Tories are stuffed.
That's just what you want, and your wants have no bearing on reality.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 28, 2023, 07:52:17 AM

If this is the sort of policies Labour are going to come out with I reckon the tories might not be the dead duck everyone thinks they are
Given the converging disasters the Tories have caused for millions of people I would suggest the Tories are stuffed. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 28, 2023, 06:47:27 AM
How are people supposed to fund private education for their children out of that?
Because they earn more than the national average , maybe a lot more but as I said thats not the point . As I said its about disposable income not what people earn 
Someone can be on £100k a year but if their housing costs are half that it doesn't leave a lot of wriggle room for private  education does it ?  Equally a couple on your nat average with a combined £64 K could be living mortgage free and decide to send their kids to a private school , again not a lot of spare cash floating about in that house .

Labour are having a laugh , they tried the idea of withdrawing charitable status and found legally they had opened a can of worms that would need vast changes to the law . So now they say schools  will have to pay VAT which is basically the same thing as the stupid idea they had in the first place . 
I'd be suprised if this one ever gets off the ground ,tens of thousands of kids shifted into state schools , private schools having to close due to lack of numbers and private education become even more elitist affordable to only the very wealthy .

If this is the sort of policies Labour are going to come out with I reckon the tories might not be the dead duck everyone thinks they are