Chancellor toughens rules on benefits as he announces Civil Service freeze

Started by SKY News, October 03, 2023, 10:12:32 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 05, 2023, 03:49:26 PM
Have you any plans to respond to posts without being a strawman?
We were discussing rentals as you well know?
Start sticking to the narrative cause you're getting very tiresome.
So am I discussing rentals, you appear to be fixated on gardens, and accusing tenants of being 100% of the problem, when they are not. There are far to many bad landlords with property unfit for human habitation due to their own negligence, not the fault of the tenants.
Just a sample:-

Rise in tenant complaints against landlords in Devon and Cornwall - BBC News
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 05, 2023, 04:59:21 AM
Owner occupiers have no such obligation.  I repeat the problem with far too many substandard rental properties in the area I live in is not the tenants it is the lack of maintenance of the building by the owner. 
Have you any plans to respond to posts without being a strawman?
We were discussing rentals as you well know?
Start sticking to the narrative cause you're getting very tiresome. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 04, 2023, 08:22:03 PM
People do not have the right to keep the garden how they want, they have to keep it as outlined in the tenants agreement.
Owner occupiers have no such obligation.  I repeat the problem with far too many substandard rental properties in the area I live in is not the tenants it is the lack of maintenance of the building by the owner.  

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 04, 2023, 05:11:55 PM
Nick I am not referring to gardens and things abandoned in the garden. I am commenting about neglect of the buildings by the owners to the point they are getting close to being uninhabitable due to neglect by the owner. (If anyone a renter or an owner wishes to have a garden like a jungle to encourage wildlife they have a right to do so as long as there are no vermin.)
People do not have the right to keep the garden how they want, they have to keep it as outlined in the tenants agreement. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 04, 2023, 03:27:59 PM
It's the tenants responsibility to keep the gardens tidy, and not break stuff. Also not putting old couches in the garden. Owners are only responsible for damages, only fair ware and tear.
Nick I am not referring to gardens and things abandoned in the garden. I am commenting about neglect of the buildings by the owners to the point they are getting close to being uninhabitable due to neglect by the owner. (If anyone a renter or an owner wishes to have a garden like a jungle to encourage wildlife they have a right to do so as long as there are no vermin.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 04, 2023, 02:58:40 PM
The ones I refer to locally have been let go into rack and ruin by the owners not the fault of the tenants.
It's the tenants responsibility to keep the gardens tidy, and not break stuff. Also not putting old couches in the garden. Owners are only responsible for damages, only fair ware and tear. 

Nick

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 04, 2023, 02:42:22 PM

There are some properties that are not fit for human habitation but even then they are in a crap condition because of previous tenants . 
The ones I refer to locally have been let go into rack and ruin by the owners not the fault of the tenants.

papasmurf

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on October 04, 2023, 11:57:41 AM
Sorry but you cannot tar million of people in both social rented and private rented properties with the same brush. Such conflation is frankly ridiculous.  I have to comment that locally some of the private rented property is not fit to keep animals in let alone people and that is the fault of the property owners not the tenants. (One at the end of the road where I live looks as if it is about to fall down.)
Nobody is taring millions of people , most tenants are decent people with tidy and clean homes . The problem we are  talking about is that there are a good number who are not and they are usually the fat bastards that are sitting in their own filth all day on state handouts .
There are some properties that are not fit for human habitation but even then they are in a crap condition because of previous tenants . A lot of councils are that desperate to house people the normal process of even cleaning the places doesn't take place . Its basically a take it or leave it situation . Still doesnt stop the new tenant putting the mop round though does it ?

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 04, 2023, 11:44:39 AM
No

But enough to know
Sorry but you cannot tar million of people in both social rented and private rented properties with the same brush. Such conflation is frankly ridiculous.  I have to comment that locally some of the private rented property is not fit to keep animals in let alone people and that is the fault of the property owners not the tenants. (One at the end of the road where I live looks as if it is about to fall down.) 

Streetwalker

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 04, 2023, 10:44:44 AM
Our council still manages its stock of some 5000 council homes . The maintenence is  contracted out to a main contractor who in turn employ subcontractors to do the work .

Thank feck that over half the houses on my estate are privately owned (thanks to Thatcher ) If it wasnt for the owners arranging street cleaning , litter picks , grass cutting,community garden  and other community based efforts like fixing stuff on council homes the place would be tip . To be fair a few council tennants join in especially the young ones so there is hope for the future .
Been in all 5000 of them have you?

Topically:-

Not all renters smoke weed or are in gangs, minister says - BBC News

Not all renters smoke weed or are in gangs, minister says

• Published
    1 day ago
Not all renters are "bad people" who smoke weed or are in gangs, the housing minister has said as she defended plans to strengthen renters' rights.

Rachel Maclean said the government was committed to the Renters Reform Bill and she hoped it would make progress in Parliament soon.
The bill would ban landlords in England from evicting tenants with no justification.
Some Tory MPs are concerned the changes will see more landlords sell up.
They argue this will reduce the number of rented homes available and push up prices.
There have been reports opposition from Conservative backbenchers is delaying the bill's progress.
The legislation was introduced in Parliament in May but no date has been set for its second reading, when MPs get a chance to debate the bill.
It needs to be approved by both the House of Commons and the Lords before it becomes law.
On Sunday, Housing Secretary Michael Gove told a fringe event at the Conservative Party conference the bill should have its second reading in the autumn.

Speaking at a fringe event on Monday, hosted by the Bright Blue think tank and the National Residential Landlords Association, Ms Maclean said a lot of people had suggested to her that the Renters Reform Bill was "not Conservative" and no Tory supporters would vote for it.
However, she said all four of her children, who are in their late 20s or 30s, were private renters as well as Conservative voters.
"There are plenty of young people who are in the [private rented sector] who are not weed-smoking bad people, in gangs and crack dens and everything else and smashing up the neighbourhood," she said.
"There's lots of decent people, hard-working people in the [private rented sector] and we need to do the right thing for them."
Ms Maclean said there were also "a lot of very good landlords" and she did not want them to "lose confidence" in the market.
"If people are renting a property out they need to be able to get it back if they need to, they need to be able to evict bad tenants so we have taken the time to work through how that would work in practice," she added.
Under the current version of the bill, landlords will still be able to evict tenants in certain circumstances, including when they wish to sell the property or when they or a close family member want to move in, after six months.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2023, 07:34:03 PM
What local council properties? The area where I live has not had any council houses for years a company took them over and runs them. (What few there were left after Thatcher's right to buy.)
Our council still manages its stock of some 5000 council homes . The maintenence is  contracted out to a main contractor who in turn employ subcontractors to do the work .

Thank feck that over half the houses on my estate are privately owned (thanks to Thatcher ) If it wasnt for the owners arranging street cleaning , litter picks , grass cutting,community garden   and other community based efforts like fixing stuff on council homes the place would be tip . To be fair a few council tennants join in especially the young ones so there is hope for the future . 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 04, 2023, 09:27:31 AM
You obviously haven't been been in council houses in the Manchester area.
But I don't extrapolate that like you do,  as applying to many millions of people. Have you ever been in flat with six nurses living in it, or six students? Or as I have to help a Muslim friend out with central heating problem, went in the women's part of a traditional Muslim home.  (I was let into it, he wasn't.)
You form opinions based on personal experience which can never be extrapolated as applying to the national situation.