'Incoherent!' Andy Burnham gives his take on Sunak's plans after HS2 derailed

Started by GBNews, October 05, 2023, 01:10:35 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 09, 2023, 08:56:41 PM
If you have ever been to Shanghai you will most likely have been on the Maglev, it goes from Pudong to down town in 8 minutes, the normal train takes 45 minutes. It was project managed by a Brit, same as that mega high bridge in France. Surely we can have some infrastructure to be proud of in this country?

You're trying to equate the pride in an equivalent route of a London Underground line with a French TGV. Both serve their different markets.

Nice to have projects to point at and be be proud of, but even better if they actually fulfil a useful purpose. I'm querying if the UK (with its difficult geography) actually needs the expense of HS2, when upgrading existing track and trains, and building east-west links, would vastly improve the infrastructure...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 09, 2023, 08:33:24 PM
But would Concorde have been feasible for hopping round the UK as we try to show off our executive wheelies...?
If you have ever been to Shanghai you will most likely have been on the Maglev, it goes from Pudong to down town in 8 minutes, the normal train takes 45 minutes. It was project managed by a Brit, same as that mega high bridge in France. Surely we can have some infrastructure to be proud of in this country?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 06, 2023, 12:44:15 AM
The 850 miles takes about 15 hours to cover according to Google. 20 years ago I could have had a morning meeting in London, a lunchtime meeting in NYC, and back to see a show in the West End. We are further back than we were.
But would Concorde have been feasible for hopping round the UK as we try to show off our executive wheelies...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 09, 2023, 03:39:23 PM
In response to the bigoted, ill informed, biased crap you post, (plus insulting and ridiculing me because of your ignorance.) You wonder why the forum is dying, people are scared to join it, because of you and Borchester.
Enough of your childish drivel, enjoy your holiday. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 09, 2023, 01:00:23 PM
And that's why he is on moderated posts, you should see the crap that gets rejected 🤦
In response to the bigoted, ill informed, biased crap you post, (plus insulting and ridiculing me because of your ignorance.) You wonder why the forum is dying, people are scared to join it, because of you and Borchester. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Barry on October 09, 2023, 12:46:42 PM
Every thread disintegrates into a battle between you and Smurf, and you wonder why I'm either absent or grumpy!
And that's why he is on moderated posts, you should see the crap that gets rejected 🤦 

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 09, 2023, 12:46:42 PM
Every thread disintegrates into a battle between you and Smurf, and you wonder why I'm either absent or grumpy!
Blame Nick and Borchester, the truth seems to hurt them and neither know what debate is.

Barry

Quote from: Nick on October 09, 2023, 10:43:34 AM
🙄, this is a list of places people go the most, it has nothing to do with being a ripoff. Once again a strawman, I repeat, Lands End is free apart from parking. You really are a miserable specimen.

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 09, 2023, 10:43:34 AM
🙄, this is a list of places people go the most, it has nothing to do with being a ripoff. Once again a strawman, I repeat, Lands End is free apart from parking. You really are a miserable specimen.
I don't expect they go to them twice, especially Lands End. (The "food" isn't free, and there are other costs.)

https://landsend-landmark.co.uk/attractions/the-experience-ticket/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/FAQ_Answers-g1604563-d261229-t2532760-Admission_costs.html

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 09, 2023, 10:10:06 AM
You must be joking Land's end it a terrible rip off tourist trap. £6 for parking is a rip off. I went to Lands End once, once was enough.

Revealed: This is Officially the UK's Worst Tourist Trap (timeout.com)

These are the UK's worst tourist traps, according to Casago:

• Royal Mile, Edinburgh
  • London Eye, London
  • Covent Garden, London
  • Land's End Landmark, Cornwall
  • Shambles, York
  • The Needles, Totland
  • Stonehenge, Salisbury
  • The Cavern Club, Liverpool
  • The Witchery by the Castle, Edinburgh
  • Sally Lunn's Historic Eating House and Museum, Bath

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 09, 2023, 09:56:04 AM
How can it be a rip-off? It's free, apart from parking, which is £6 all day.
You must be joking Land's end it a terrible rip off tourist trap. £6 for parking is a rip off. I went to Lands End once, once was enough.

Revealed: This is Officially the UK's Worst Tourist Trap (timeout.com)

These are the UK's worst tourist traps, according to Casago:

• Royal Mile, Edinburgh
  • London Eye, London 
  • Covent Garden, London
  • Land's End Landmark, Cornwall
  • Shambles, York
  • The Needles, Totland
  • Stonehenge, Salisbury
  • The Cavern Club, Liverpool 
  • The Witchery by the Castle, Edinburgh
  • Sally Lunn's Historic Eating House and Museum, Bath

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 09, 2023, 09:00:54 AM
Why anyone would want to go to Lands End is a mystery. It is a total rip off.
How can it be a rip-off? It's free, apart from parking, which is £6 all day. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Red Rackham on October 06, 2023, 01:13:03 AM
How many people need to travel from John o' Groats to Lands end in record time?  I suspect, none.
Why anyone would want to go to Lands End is a mystery. It is a total rip off.

Streetwalker

Am I right in thinking all this high speed rail was all part of the EU plan to join the dots of the Empire ? It was never about high speed Manchester to London  but more the eventual high speed Dublin to Paris and beyond .
We have moved on since that plan was hatched both in leaving the EU and in the need for business to get from a to b quicker than a quick thing . The whole project should be scrapped 

Nick

Quote from: Red Rackham on October 06, 2023, 01:13:03 AM
How many people need to travel from John o' Groats to Lands end in record time?  I suspect, none.
Nobody, it was Pat bringing up the length of the country. I was just saying we seem to have gone backwards.