A major cause of unemployment in the UK

Started by Borchester, October 07, 2023, 04:37:16 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on October 07, 2023, 08:51:16 PM
The only real problems we had with our minuscule property portfolio, has been with an Essex-based builder (late, long and badly done). Never got any money back from the builder, or the site he pays to promote his company.

Since then, our go-to builder and maintenance crew turned out to be mainly Eastern European, and we've had no real problems with building work since...

True enough, which is why if you want anything done, your first choice should be Johnny Foreigner. He is a long way from home and wants to build a reputation, so tends to do the best work at a decent price. Similarly, should you ever end up in a puddle of your own vomit with a stilson wrench in your pocket, the locals will immediately assume that you are English and ask if you want to renovate their bathrooms.

Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on October 07, 2023, 04:37:16 PM
is that no one ever turns up.

I  spent all yesterday waiting on the plasterer and a chap to fix some guttering. The latter has just rung and asked to reschedule. I said that there was no point as I had gotten the kid next door to do it. The guttering guy said oh, that placed him in a fix because he really needed the money, whereupon I replied then maybe he should have turned up on time. He said that he did not think that was funny, which was odd because I pissed myself laughing.

And the plastering is no big thing so I will crack on myself and save a few bob
The only real problems we had with our minuscule property portfolio, has been with an Essex-based builder (late, long and badly done). Never got any money back from the builder, or the site he pays to promote his company.

Since then, our go-to builder and maintenance crew turned out to be mainly Eastern European, and we've had no real problems with building work since...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 07, 2023, 06:08:09 PM
That subject came up with a neighbour this morning.  Finding any skilled certificated trades people to do a job is getting very difficult. Locally no-one seems to be replacing the ones that die.

To be honest, I am not that bothered about certificates and don't really care if the guys' lips move as they download the stuff from Youtube.

But it would be nice if they actually turned up. I currently have two properties to lick into shape, an allotment to maintain and a pile of maths to work on because I have managed to forget it all. My rate, or lack thereof, of progress is such that I expect to finish about ten years after I am dead.:)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 07, 2023, 04:37:16 PM

I  spent all yesterday waiting on the plasterer and a chap to fix some guttering. The latter has just rung and asked to reschedule. I said that there was no point as I had gotten the kid next door to do it. The guttering guy said oh, that placed him in a fix because he really needed the money, whereupon I replied then maybe he should have turned up on time. He said that he did not think that was funny, which was odd because I pissed myself laughing.

That subject came up with a neighbour this morning.  Finding any skilled certificated trades people to do a job is getting very difficult. Locally no-one seems to be replacing the ones that die.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Algerie Francais !